Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wildflower bike course
Quote | Reply
How tuff is the bike? Looking at the graph, it doesn't look like there is an area to get aero on the flats. Actually, it doesn't look like there are flat areas. Will 12-25 gearing be sufficient? How much more difficult is it than Vineman? Sorry for all the ???'s. Can't wait for the race though!
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower bike course [swordyfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a great course and yes you can get aero alot. You just have to be careful because alot of the bigger/steeper climbs start about 40 miles into the course(dont blow yourself up before that)and if you push to hard it makes the last 15-20 miles tough and then you have to tackle thee beautiful run course.

Vineman is just a different course, harder or easier depends on what the person is good at.

Have fun and think about the run!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower bike course [tricrazy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower bike course [tricrazy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice! Thanks for the response, I'll definitely save some reserves as I heard the run is challenging too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not that challenging if you train in the mountains of Kenya.

Re: Wildflower bike course [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So we're all screwed!!!!!!!!!!!! I can;t wait to average 9mph!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh yeah, the swim is uphil too.

Re: Wildflower bike course [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I might as well wear my surf trunks. Hey does anyone here ever ride Santiago Canyon? Any similarities to Wildflower/Nepal?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike is challenging. Miles 5-40 are perfect for aerobars. Some rollings in there, but nothing bad. Nasty Grade is hard, but I think the hills after it are worse, then the last bit back is fairly easy if you have any mojo left. Not much like Vineman or Napa, except the rollers after Nasty Grade (the ones I don't like) are similar to the hills in either.

----------
"...it should be swim, bike, run, cage fight." - el fuser
"I noticed that I am in your sig line! Wow! That's s first for me. Thanks." - Fleck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride Modjeska Canyon. It's hardest point is 15%. As you ride past Cook's Corner (going North, I think) go up that climb, then through the dip and down the large hill. (The "M" as I call it)As it starts to flatten out there is a right turn. Take that and follow it around. Once you start climbing you will realize your fate. It's the best thing around here for climbing. There's also Pacifc Island...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first 15 miles are hills and rollers. After that it's not too bad and you can get aero. Once you hit nasty grade around mile 40 it's a long grind up to heart rate hill and then not too bad back to T2.

The run is another story. For the longest time before I had done WF, everyone had always commented on how hard the bike course was. Well the run course is really the killer of the race.

that and the mass start off the boat ramp.

Ed

LLLEEEEEEEEEEEERRRROOOYYY JEEENNNNNKKKIIINNNNNS!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower bike course [glbrum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I know that hill past Cooks Corner, but I've never gone that way. I rode Santiago today after the post. It's kind of nice because from my house it is exactly a 56 mile round trip. Man it's so hard to get a rythm going. I ran 3 miles after and cramped up in the hammies pretty bad. Where is Pacific Island?
Quote Reply
Re: Wildflower bike course [edwinj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's always the Killer. Running is my best attribut, but it always hurts the most. Go figure. I did hear that the run is brutal! Pain is good. I always just feel fortunate to be out there!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pacific Island comes off at 2 points. One on Crown Valley and the other side comes off of Alicia. The side that comes off of Crown Valley is about 1.5 miles long and is about 1000 ft. in elevation. The other side (coming off of Alicia) is a little less than a mile but a lot steeper, I'd guess 15% or more. (rough estimate there). The long side is really good for reps. The short side is just brutal, but fun and fast to go down. Hit google maps or similar and find crown valley from PCH and follow it inland about 3/4 mile and it is on the north side.
Quote Reply