Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

shipping bike naked to triathlon. roll the dice?
Quote | Reply
to save on dismantling/boxing fees, i'm considering shipping my bike on the plane without any box or crate. i called the airline cargo department and they say all i need to do is remove the front wheel and they'll do the rest. i assume they handle all bikes with kid gloves since they don't need or want the liability of destroying a triathlete's $2500 ++ bike, right?

anyone else do this? keep in mind, i'm a cheap, lazy bastard if you're wondering...

lemme hear your thoughts,

cyclisto
Quote Reply
Re: shipping bike naked to triathlon. roll the dice? [cyclisto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think they have bike boxes there, so they will probably stuff it into one of those...also heard of people using bike bags "successfully"....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you just bored tonight, or what? I can't wait to read some of the replies you are going to get!

Bernie

Re: shipping bike naked to triathlon. roll the dice? [Kiri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no kiri,

the cargo dept told me they just roll the bike into the plane "as is." don't know how it avoids getting damaged, that's why i'm asking here!

and no bernie, not bored, just trying to plan for my next triathlon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what do they charge for this? Might be last loaded first unloaded and be a better way to go. Of course how it gets to the plane, and from the plane to the pickup might be where the damage will come in.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]i assume they handle all bikes with kid gloves since they don't need or want the liability of destroying a triathlete's $2500 ++ bike, right? [/reply]

Hi, you must be new to the wonder of modern avionics and airlines' coverage policies. While I have heard rumours about "some dude's brother in law who has a smokin hot race bike and got away with this once", I sure as hell wouldn't try it.

I like cheap.
I like lazy.

This is not a good idea.

(btw, many airlines will make you sign a "release of liability waiver" when checking in anything that isn't a suitcase containing luggage.)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect you will end up with a tangle of tubes and spokes when you arrive at your destination. Airlines can't handle anything with kid gloves - it's not in their DNA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've actually seen a bike loaded into the cargo hold of the plane I was taking from Cancun to Atlanta. not sure how it fared but glad it was not mine. The airlines will sell/provide you with a cardboard box.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply