Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Barefoot racing with protection or Less shoe than a racing flat
Quote | Reply
Jon this might get a few more comments:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/

cool man

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Barefoot racing with protection or Less shoe than a racing flat [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those look pretty sweet. I doubt that I'd race in them (Paulo would kill me!) but I would like to try on a pair... Based on the website alone, I think this is a much better option over the Nike Free (I tried on a pair of Frees - felt like I had marshmallows stuck to my feet).

These kind of remind me of tablet PC's. They aren't a solution to any known problem, but they are a unique implementation of nifty technology. They seem to be a product searching for the right application...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Barefoot racing with protection or Less shoe than a racing flat [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave, your the man. As always you come through.

Here are my thoughts on them based on what my footwear and running is now.

I am now hobbling 2-3 20 minute runs a week do to extreme pain in my shins. The pain from the swelling like feeling has even started to happen when I am just sitting. There is a vast improvement in my feet and knees and here is why.

I joined the pose cult because all the tradition thinking never helped my shins. Big padded shoes with lots of plastic and carbon to make sure my feet did what they where "supposed" to do. Lots of visits to "experts" for fitting and all that bullshit. My shins, feet and knees still killed me.

So I went all Pose and did what they said and low and behold things are better in my feet and knees. I chunked my orthotics and started doing exercises to strengthen my feet. I also started wearing $10 canvas shoes that are nothing more then canvas with hard rubber soles. I my feet have never felt better. My knees feel brand new. My shins are still getting worse.

During my time with Pose I learned to become light on my feet and land in the mid foot, which increases my turn over and has my feet spending less time on the ground supporting my weight.

I raved about my Vitruvian shoes because they had less of everything everyone said I should have. Less support, less control, less cushioning. My feet have learned to move in the way my feet want to move and I'm not pounding down on my heel.

At the warehouse I can work all 10 hours on hard concrete in my cheap canvas shoes with my big old flat feet and have no foot pain. Everyone else in their heavy-duty running shoes and work boots with all their arch supports still complain about their feet. I say it is because their feet are weak!

I like the Five Fingers idea because all the other shit shoe companies are throwing at us are not working. With all the gel, air and eva cushioning us and all the carbon and plastic controlling us we should be injury free but we are not. Same problems all the time. Nothing is working and nothing is what they say it is.

So I hope to have surgery in the next two to three months and if that gets my shins to feel normal again I can guarantee I will be getting a pair of Five Fingers and get my training where it should be. Then you guys will get plenty of race results and photos from the haters and me will still hate and the lovers will be less pissed off at me. And you can all laugh at my goofy shoes.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Barefoot racing with protection or Less shoe than a racing flat [Just Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, My run training is going a bit better than yours. I finally realized if I want to get faster I must push myself and pain is ok, but a day off is needed. This week I ran M,W,F. I do 3 miles in the past I was runing about 14 min miles. With the first 3 mile run being my fastest at 39min 30 sec. Well monday I ran 38'54" wed. 39'02" and Friday 37'59" I could not believe Friday cause I was tired and the legs felt sore at the begining. So far no shin problems. But I run in NB Motion control shoe (but no orthotics). My reg shoes are NB 601, and 600 with orthotics. I really think I am going to get a shoe with less support and see how it goes might order some Vitruvian. Even with the MC shoes I think I land more midfoot than heal but I am not sure. I do know I spend more time barefoot these days and dont have pain.

Did you see the thread about running as if you were at the point of maximum penetration. This has really helped my run. Felt the back get stronger, and now it feels odd if my head is not up looking down the road instead of at my feet.

Good luck, maybe someday we can run an IM togeather. (Ah it will be a long time though).

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply