Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hed 3 vs. Zipp 606
Quote | Reply
I am guessing that this subject has probably been covered before so if everyone could humor me I would appreciate it. I have a set of Hed 3's that I use for racing. I have no complaints and the wheels are fast but I am going to Hawaii in June for the Honu 70.3 and I'm concerned about the wind. I rode the Hed 3's in some windy conditions at California 70.3 last month and they were sketchy in the cross wind.

The Zipp 606 seems like a wheelset that is built for all conditions, wind, hills, etc. Since I can only justify one set of race wheels should I trade the Hed 3's in for a set Zipp 606's?
Last edited by: waveriderr: Apr 22, 06 20:08
Quote Reply
Post deleted by GeeForces [ In reply to ]
Re: Head 3 vs. Zipp 606 [waveriderr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do like me. I have a pair of Hed 3's but I also have a Hed Alps front for those windy days.

18x Ironman, 3x Hawaii
US Army (Ret.), Vietnam Vet ('71-'72)
Quote Reply
Re: Hed 3 vs. Zipp 606 [waveriderr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do a search lotssssssss of opinions on the subject. I am also thinking of Zipp 606's but Hed 3/alps etc. are also a nice option. Are you thinking of tubies or clinchers.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Hed 3 vs. Zipp 606 [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well you bring up another subject that is part of my consideration. My H3's are clinchers that I run tufo tubular/clinchers on them. They make up a reasonably light combination but not near as light as the 606 tubulars. Switching to a tubular wheel and the lighter 606's is tempting especially when you are going up hill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another search. There was a thread a couple of weeks ago I think there was 248 posts. I read every one still not sure what to do. The tubies are much lighter so I am leaning that way. I am only using them for tri's so I might be ok with tubies. But lots of good arguments on both sides of the issue. The problem is there is no right answer.

My H3's are clinchers that I run tufo tubular/clinchers on them....... I don't understand.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Head 3 vs. Zipp 606 [GeeForces] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good article. Thanks

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My H3's are a clincher wheel and tufo makes tires that are tubulars that fit onto clincher rims. They call them tubular/clincher tires.

By the way, these tires are sweet. The ride quality is amazing. Very comfortable and light. I have the tufo elite jets that are the equivalent of <160 grams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did a search on tufo got some strong opinions on that subject. The H3C are lighter then the H3 and cheaper then the 606's. Both wheels look good. I am sure you have been reading the other post on the H3. Not an easy choice.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's what I would do...

Spend a few days riding in strong crosswinds with the Hed 3's until you are comfortable with the handling. It won't take long if you put your mind to it. Then you'll never be concerned about crosswinds, and instead will hope for them as that is when a Hed 3 is fastest.

There is no reason a reasonably skilled person can't ride a tri-spoke or deep front wheel in a strong crosswind effectively with a little bit of practice and determination. Most of it is mental.

Besides the difference between a Hed3 front and a 404 front in a crosswind is not black and white. It is more like 7/10th gray and 6/10th gray. Hardly a reason to buy a whole nother wheelset.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Re: Hed 3 vs. Zipp 606 [Justin in OK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
go with the zipp 606..........just don't look at the decals that turn dog piss yellow

-------------------------------------------------
Latest Duct tape QR Superfull fashion model
Quote Reply
Re: Hed 3 vs. Zipp 606 [Justin in OK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it were a H3C I would agree with you but a H3 has quite a bit more wt. then a 404 or 606 .

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: Apr 23, 06 8:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Dog piss yellow" that does it, I'm switching to the 606's...I wish someone would have mentioned that before.

Seriously, I appreciate the comments and I am gleaning that it is a toss up. You have Zipp fans and you have Hed3 fans.

What wheel set is the best all around set out there. One that you don't have to think about the conditions, just ride. If you had to have one wheel set what would it be?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go with clincher, no matter what. Tubies are a pain, expensive, and are slower. But if you sell you Hed 3's, let me know.

(y foiler)

Quote Reply