Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: triathletes at time trial [OT in CA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Very few TTs in the Bay Area (or even central valley) as far as I can tell. I did the Pinole two man TTT a month ago but other than that...just nothing. It would be pretty neat to have a local TT series.

ot
The nearest I've seen are in Snelling and Winters, out by Davis. I think they're in the summer.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: triathletes at time trial [OT in CA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The CVC club in Fresno has weekly races all summer.

Re: triathletes at time trial [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Very few TTs in the Bay Area (or even central valley) as far as I can tell. I did the Pinole two man TTT a month ago but other than that...just nothing. It would be pretty neat to have a local TT series.

ot
The nearest I've seen are in Snelling and Winters, out by Davis. I think they're in the summer.

There are a few informal, non-USCF sanctioned events:

http://www.scaledup.com/...metrialseries06.html

http://scccc.cccx.org/teamsc/timetrial/

Coming from Oregon, I'm extremely dissappointed with what's available in the Bay Area, where there are so many cyclists.

Maybe it's because of the difference in sanctioning organizations -- In OR, OBRA is focused on "citizen racing" It seems like the USCF concentrates cultivating new Lance Armstrongs and "development programs" (read juniors who they hope will become Lance Armstrongs).

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: triathletes at time trial [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Oddly enough, stereotypes exist for a reason."

Funny comment coming from you ... as I am primarily a roadie (because I can't run thanks to injuries sustained at the hands of a teenage driver talking on a cell phone) who has been quite rudely treated by YOU on this forum.

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Re: triathletes at time trial [vidaeboa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

the triathletes were, without exception, the nicest competitors. most thanked the course marshalls, some even called out their number to make our job easier. this is a stark contrast to many of the roadies, who generally didn't say a word to us, or at most cursed us for not clearly enough marking the turnaround.

the triathletes were grateful, pleasant, and pretty damn fast. my one critique is that they need to learn how to corner (it's inside pedal UP!), but overall, it was an overwhelmingly positive experience to be course marshalling for the tri-geeks that day.
I kind of like the fact that roadies can be jerks. They almost make me seem like a nice guy.
Quote Reply
Re: triathletes at time trial [vidaeboa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been around roadies for years. I've been around triathletes and triathlons for only the last two. I greatly prefer the triathlon environment. People are so much more friendly.

I know plenty of roadies that are very nice people. In fact, the curious thing I noticed is that the more skilled and accomplished a bike racer is, the more they tend to be humble and genuine. It's the wannabe folks who are prima donnas and genuine pricks. Most of the guys I know who have languished in the Cat.3 and 4 ranks for years ... and many of the masters racers ... I don't know. I can't see how they find helmets to fit their heads.

I know 4 or 5 pro roadies and a young man who recently made the national junior team. They feel so priveledged to be able to do what they're doing that they treat everyone around them like they were a sponsor. (Now, in the heat of battle in a race, another side of them often comes out ... so I hear ... but I'm never around to see that.)

All that having been said, I've yet to meet a triathlete who wasn't a really nice person to know.

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Re: triathletes at time trial [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey,

I know you are somewhere near #7.....do you ride on Thursday just outside Stirling?

Drove past a group that was meeting just off the 401 b/w Belleville and Stirling. Was envious as I was not riding.

Tamara

The local club here does 1 TT/month in it's race schedule. First pre-season one was Thursday, decent turnout and good number of Triathletes were there. Proud to say I did my fastest ever 40K at it. It all goes downhill from here :)

The one glitch, there are a few members that will adamantly tell a rider that Tri-bikes are not allowed in the club. AT all. Kinda deters us from wanting to join up.

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Re: triathletes at time trial [Tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
since it's Phreaky Phriday, i thought i'd relate the following anecdote:

i volunteered as a course marshal at a time trial a few weeks ago. there were some competitors in clubs' kits, but many of them were wearing sleeveless, nameless jerseys and shorts. clearly, the latter were triathletes.

the triathletes were, without exception, the nicest competitors. most thanked the course marshalls, some even called out their number to make our job easier. this is a stark contrast to many of the roadies, who generally didn't say a word to us, or at most cursed us for not clearly enough marking the turnaround.

the triathletes were grateful, pleasant, and pretty damn fast. my one critique is that they need to learn how to corner (it's inside pedal UP!), but overall, it was an overwhelmingly positive experience to be course marshalling for the tri-geeks that day.
I am assuming this was not a USCF sanctioned time trial, since sleevless jerseys are not allowed at USCF events.
Quote Reply

Prev Next