Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zabriskie's Extensions
Quote | Reply
Looks like s-bends just aren't aero enough for Zabriskie:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/apr06/georgia06/georgia063/JDtdgstg312.jpg

Also, check out Lars using the Visiontech minis (I just picked up a set):

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2006/apr06/georgia06/?id=georgia063/JDtdgstg304
Quote Reply
Re: Zabriskie's Extensions [cyclistmac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Several of the riders for Team CSC riders (Basso (I think), Julich, and Zabriske) have been using those proto-aero bars with straight aero extensions for more than a year. Not sure why FSA/Vision Tech does not mass-produce them so that they can be marketed the masses.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Zabriskie's Extensions [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any word on why Lars wasn't on at least an aero frame, if not his TT bike? I could understand prefering a Soloist or SC, but to be on the R3 when he had his choice of all the bikes? That sort of baffles me. I'd think that he could have a Soloist Carbon at the 6.8kg limit with clip-ons as well, if he didn't want the P3C.

Interesting to see that even with the non-aero bike, he went with a disk!
Quote Reply
Re: Zabriskie's Extensions [Alpern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No shoe covers or aero helmet either...weird. There must be an explanation.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should see the Vision "Z" bend - think of an R bend, upside down. Saw one of those on one of the euro's bikes at TOC.
Quote Reply
Re: Zabriskie's Extensions [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe he slept in late. Looks like a very odd setup indeed.
Quote Reply
Re: Zabriskie's Extensions [chris_gr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone notice the interview with DZ's mech who referred to his bike as "custom" and he has another "custom" one at home. What up with that?
Quote Reply
Re: Zabriskie's Extensions [chris_gr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe he's having slight physical problems and there's less variance to adjust to between that and his normal road setup.

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh. I thought you were going to talking about HAIR extensions. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those look uncomfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: Zabriskie's Extensions [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]You should see the Vision "Z" bend - think of an R bend, upside down. Saw one of those on one of the euro's bikes at TOC.[/reply]

Fred rodriguez (who lives by me, and won todays stage) has the upside down r-bends... it looks like they have the extensions bolted on, upside down (GO FREDDY!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lars Michaelsen is about as old school as they get. He was one last in the peloton to wear a helmet. When they got mandatory by the UCI he wore one of the "leather-ones" from the 70's in races until someone forced him to use a normal (plastic with insulation) one. I reckon he is the type that doesn't really belive in carbon, s-bends, aero positions and other fancy means of getting fast. He is at his best on a steel bike on cobblestones in the rain/sleet... without helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Any word on why Lars wasn't on at least an aero frame, if not his TT bike? I could understand prefering a Soloist or SC, but to be on the R3 when he had his choice of all the bikes? That sort of baffles me. I'd think that he could have a Soloist Carbon at the 6.8kg limit with clip-ons as well, if he didn't want the P3C.

Interesting to see that even with the non-aero bike, he went with a disk!

I don't think Lars Michaelsen even has a Soloist Carbon to his disposal and his Solist Team was probaly too heavy on the hilly course compared to R3.
He is one of CSC's biggest cobbelstone experts and hence rides a R3 like all CSC's other cobbelstone riders. And honestly I don't think Michaelsen gives a shit if he finishes 2 miunte down or 7 minute down in a TT as long as he makes it within the time limit. He probably never practices on a TT bike at all, I'm not sure if he even has one or a TT helmet for that matter and why should he? TT's are not one of his objectives unlike many other CSC riders and he's not going to participate in any of the grand tours or TTT's.
He is the oldest rider at CSC with 36 years so it's not like he should waste time practicing on a TT bike to potentially become a good TT'er sometime in the future.
Even if he has a TT bike and helmet CSC would probably not bring it to USA anyway for logistic reason.

CSC's neopro Kasper Klostergaad Larsen even rode an R2.5 in the TdG ITT, he probably just got a leftover bike from last season.

If you watched Amtsel Gold Race and Feleche Wallone you could see Karsten Kroon was on a R3 while all the other CSC riders was on a Soloist Carbon.
This is probably becasue Karsten Krron rode some of the cobblestone races like RVV. None of the other CSC riders at Amstel and Fleche Wallone has been racing the cobbelstone races like P-R and RVV.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...?post=793792;#793792
In Reply To:
You're not going to find meaningful bottom bracket stiffness differences between the Soloist Carbon and the R3. One is very stiff, the other extremely stiff. Cancellara and Michaelsen ride R3s because they are on the classics team, Schleck is more of a 1-3 week Tour rider and the Ardennes classics. Cancellara and Michaelsen also ride the Soloist, for example both were on Soloist Teams at the Tour de Qatar. It just depends on the course.

Gerard
Cervélo Cycles
gerard@cervelo.com
Last edited by: Twitchslow: Apr 22, 06 8:04
Quote Reply
Re: Zabriskie's Extensions [snowdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is Lars Michaelsen's winter training bike. The picture is from CSC's boot camp this winter.
http://www.speedplay.com/...gebig&imageid=25

Last edited by: Twitchslow: Apr 22, 06 8:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neopro Kasper Klostergaard Larsen was on this R2.5 with Visiontech minis at the TdG TT:

Last edited by: Twitchslow: Apr 22, 06 8:21
Quote Reply
Re: Zabriskie's Extensions [Twitchslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperProdigy!!!! That's a damn fine bike, probably my favorite Cervelo made.

Mark
Quote Reply