Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

walking pneumonia, again
Quote | Reply
i posted here a few weeks ago about my sob story -- walking pneumonia -- and some of you shared your own experiences with this mofo of a disease. my updated sob story is that i have had this thing for 6 to 8 weeks, and have been on antibiotics for the last month, but am STILL under the weather (slight fever, fatigue, lungs feel weird). have done no training for the last month and it's driving me bonkers.

my question for those of you who've had experience with this -- what did you do in addition to the antibiotics and rest that helped you heal? i feel i've hit a plateau where the meds have only done so much and I just can't bump myself back into healthiness. herbal remedies? special foods? magic potions?
Quote Reply
Re: walking pneumonia, again [PatchesMcHooley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Antibiotics and Advair and some serious rest got me going again. Which antibiotics are you on? I think I was on a seven or ten day cycle.
Quote Reply
Re: walking pneumonia, again [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've been on zithromax -- 3 cylcles of it. 1st cycle = 6 pills, one a day. next two cycles = 6 pills, one every-other day.

i'll ask the doc about advair.

all told, how long were you sidelined?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was out from mid November until late December/early January.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you removed yourself from the source of the infection?

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: walking pneumonia, again [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have no idea where the infection came from -- possibly the subway, where people are coughing in close quarters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I missed 3 months this winter with it. I think the key thing that kept screwing me up was that I would try and rush back into training. I remember thinking I was feeling better and would just do an easy 30 minute run or a real light bike ride. Each time I did, it felt like it sent me back in the downward spiral for another week or two. Finally, I just had to sit back and rest and let things run their course. I know its tough, but my advice would be do nothing until you've felt 100% for a few days in a row. Then start back slowly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i just found out i had this! had no idea, would just get colds for a month or more. but the doc didn't give me anything b/c they only tested/found antibodies. but i'm getting a cold again and its warm out. i could use some magic potions too...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if the bacteria has to come from another person.

I know a person that has a bird that is let out of the cage all of the time. It craps everywhere and is not cleaned up immediatly. I feel there is bacteria all over the house and that person is sick all of the time.

Now I'm not saying you have a pet that craps everywhere but maybe the source is from something other than a person that you spend a lot of time around. Could be work, friends house, play area or somewhere else.

Maybe a doctor could chime in and debunk this theory of mine.

Get well soon.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: walking pneumonia, again [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as i understand it, you can only pick this up from another person who has it and is in the coughing phase. also, the reason it lasts so long is not the bacteria itself -- it's the damage done by the bacteria (inflammation of lung tissue, which your body fights with fever, etc). so, even though the bacteria itself could have been killed, it takes a while for your lungs to calm down. i'm not a doc but this is how it's been explained to me.

nonetheless, i will make sure that there are no birds pooping all over my house.
Quote Reply
Re: walking pneumonia, again [bughead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bummer! my condolences.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a nasty battle with pneumonia this winter as well. 1st round of antibiotics was the liquid from of Zythromax and it did not knock it out. Next was a 10 day cycle of Augmentin which did the trick.

I tried to get lots of sleep and eat as many fruits and vegetables as possible. Good luck.

"The more you sweat today, the less you bleed tomorrow"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks, you're nice. man, i don't have any birds either...haha!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess that's why I work in calibration and not in medicine :)

jaretj
Quote Reply