Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

All Around Tire Question
Quote | Reply
My new road bike can take up to 32mm tires on it. I am currently running 700 X 28 Conti Grand Prix 5000 with latex tubes. These work great on the road. Considering going bigger, but I don't need a true gravel tire - my kind of gravel riding is rail trails with fine aggregate or gravel roads that are for the most part in very good shape. Looking at either the 700 X 32 Grand Prix 5000 or the 700 X 32 Panaracer Gravel King Slick.

If it works out I may just end up leaving these on the bike full time.

Curious of the Tire Guru's of the Forum and what your thoughts are.

TIA

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: All Around Tire Question [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the type of riding you’re describing I think volume is more important than tread, so I wouldn’t shy away from slicks. Tubeless is probably the way to go if your rims are compatible. In addition to the two tires you mentioned I’ve been running Pirelli Cinturato velos, which are tough but still pretty quick. I get nervous running gp5000s full time but if you’ve had good luck those are hard to beat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Conti has a new 5000 All Season which is more grippy, thicker tread and better puncture resistance for only a marginal loss in rolling resistance. It's tubeless but you can just run it with tubes.
Last edited by: NordicSkier: Apr 5, 23 14:18
Quote Reply
Re: All Around Tire Question [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get nervous running gp5000s full time but if you’ve had good luck those are hard to beat.

I've been riding the same gravel - smooth small aggregate rail-trails and not too bad gravel roads with 700 x 25 Conti 5000 GPS and having no more issues with them than when riding on regular roads - the usual 1 - 3 on-the-road flats that I get in any typical year. Albeit I do need to be a bit more careful with the 25's - keep a bit of an eye out for the odd bigger chunk of gravel or pothole with some sharp edges - I'm not setting any world records here , just connecting up some of my normal road riding routes with some non-paved riding options. That's why I was thinking the Conti GP 5000's in a 32 might be OK.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably fine. I've done BWR on 5000s/3000s with no grip or flatting issues.

For anything wet or deep sand, I'd want a true off-road tire. But for light "gravel" seems just fine to me.
Quote Reply
Re: All Around Tire Question [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

For anything wet or deep sand

Generally speaking if it's wet I'm not heading out. Sorry lived in Vancouver for 10 years and rode enough in the rain and the wet there to last a life-time. Now - getting caught in the rain once out for a ride . . that's different. I'll not bail on the ride and head home - I will finish it up!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might be able to run some Vittoria Corsa N.EXT G2.0 TLR in 34mm depending on what wheels you have. A little slower but would make a good compromise for your riding conditions
Quote Reply