Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kicking it Half IM Style.....
Quote | Reply
In March, I did a sprint Tri that I have done for the last 4 years in a row.

I got tired of riding an old crapped out downtube shifting non-fitting roadie, was starting to enjoy doing some road miles, so I went and purchased a Felt F80.

Our triathlon got turned into a Duathlon due to polution, I was pretty bummed and started looking at other tris to try for.

Anyway, I got the crazy idea of going after a Half IM in November. I have found in my life that if I set myself a difficult target, I am far more likely to acheive that otherwise, so I figure why the hell not.

I have the time to train for it, but am well overweight and can't run for shit, so I am really aiming at getting around the course before they kick me off it, I have no illusions of AG greatness.

Anyway, my big question is, do I have enough bike to do the race? Do people out ther do Half IM on straight roadies without aeros? If I decide to put clipons on, am I going to be able to do anything half decent on the F80?

I really don't have the coin to get another bike, the F80 was stretching the budget as it was, so it is either do it on the F80, maybe with clipons, or don't do it at all.

Thoughts people?

SB
Quote Reply
Re: Kicking it Half IM Style..... [safetyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
absolutely - nothing wrong at all with your bike. If you can ride 56 miles on your bike, you'll be just fine.

--
mcoker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your definition of "half decent"? If it is your first 1/2, might I suggest that include "simply finishing" and having fun? Do that and you'll be fine with both your bike and your results. Insist on a 20mph bike split and you'll be disappointed, and hate the run, too.

The only thing stopping you is you.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Quote Reply
Re: Kicking it Half IM Style..... [Schwingding] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]What is your definition of "half decent"? If it is your first 1/2, might I suggest that include "simply finishing" and having fun? Do that and you'll be fine with both your bike and your results. Insist on a 20mph bike split and you'll be disappointed, and hate the run, too.

The only thing stopping you is you.[/reply]

Just finishing is all I want.

I have done the maths, and I figure if I can get out of the water in about 50 minutes do a 15 mph split on the bike, I will have about 3 hours to bring the run home before they kick me off the course. I will probably need all of it, because I am a train wreck when it comes to running.

I can average 14mph on an 18 mile ride at the moment, so I have a fair way to go, but I also have 6 months to get there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And off topic, why does my [reply] text show up, rather than coming up as a reply style? I see this happening all over the board.

SB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's plenty of bike to get you through a half. You will probably be more comfortable on that and consequently faster on the bike and the run. Once you get more experienced and fast you may benefit from a tri bike, but there are lots of people on road bikes at that distance. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]And off topic, why does my [.reply] text show up, rather than coming up as a reply style? I see this happening all over the board.

SB[/reply]

Because you're not using Internet Explorer. This site hates Mozilla and Mac's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll be fine. You're starting your training about 2 months earlier than I did for my first half last year and I somehow managed a 5:30. Kick some ass!

--
mcoker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for it! Download a free training plan offline and try to do the workouts on it. Your bike is better than the one I did my half ironman on last year. Way better.

If you feel comfortable later on you may want to add some clip on aero bars.

Let us know how your training is going. The key is consistency!

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Kicking it Half IM Style..... [dtreeps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that your bike is just fine. Enjoy the race.

As a former "big guy" who has slimmed down considerably, I'd recommend that you also work on losing as much weight as you reasonably can. This will make a huge difference in your run. Do this carefully, however. If you lose too much too quickly, you'll undermine your training. Just as you do for your mileage buildup on the bike and run, set yourself a slow, steady weight loss plan that will take you from today's weight to a reasonable race-day weight.
Last edited by: subminuteman: Apr 21, 06 7:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have lots of good posts so I will just add..... GO FOR IT!.....

I would check with your Doc. just to be safe. Good luck!

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for it. I'm in about the same exact position, and I am doing my first half as well. Add the aero bars.

I did my first tri in '04. Last year I did a relay half with my wife doing the run.

I used a Specialized Allez Elite, very similar to your F80 in terms of specs. I didn't have an aero bar. The course is what I call hilly, others call rolling. Excluding a lot of time due to a flat in the first mile (practice changing those!), I averaged about 16 mph. Nothing to write home about, but considering my newbie status, training hours, extra weight and poor aero position, I can't complain.

Doing my first full half by myself at Timberman in August. Have put the aero bars on. Getting more time on the bike, trying to lose some weight.

Get out there and just do it. If nothing else, training for it will make sprints and olys that much easier. Someone has to be in the back of the pack to make the MOPers feel better about their races!

Best of luck.
Last edited by: TriAlbany: Apr 21, 06 8:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been sitting on my butt for the last week, because I'm off to Cozumel for a week of diving. I've got a sprint that is coming up in mid May that I've been inconsistently training for. I am overweight and slow, but I'm looking to bite of almost more than I can chew. I've been interested in Timberman, and this post has almost made me bite the bullet and do it. I looked up the half IM training plan from trinewbies, and it looks doable, though I haven't done this much training before. It is an 18 week plan, for which I have 17 weeks left. I'll be able to swim and run in cozumel, but I won't be biking.

I've got a Trek 1000, as basic as you can get, everything stock. Any reason why I shouldn't do this? Is timberman hilly enough not to need aero bars? Anything I should get as far as must have equipment?

On one hand I hope you tell me not to do it, because I'm intimidated, but on the other I can only imagine how great I will feel crossing that finish line.

By the way my expectations would be to just finish.
Quote Reply
Re: Kicking it Half IM Style..... [AlohaJulio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do it. You're in NH for God's sake!

Why not? Sign up quick...less than 50 slots left I heard.

You can race me for BOP in the M35-39 division.

Four months from today you could wake up and post on Slowtwitch, "I did Timberman yesterday. Cool race."

I think you'd be faster with the aero bars, but the goal is to finish, so either way...just go for it.

If you don't have a wetsuit for tri...a post (April 18th) in the classified section links to a Desoto T1 someone has for sale on ebay, ending on Tuesday I think. It might fit you...I'd call Desoto and ask if you're interested.
Last edited by: TriAlbany: Apr 21, 06 10:52
Quote Reply
Re: Kicking it Half IM Style..... [TriAlbany] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, you convinced me. I just registered. Now I'm more scared than I was when I was just thinking about it.

I don't know squat about nutrition for this type of thing, so I guess I'll have to do some learning about that along the way. Any suggestions on where to start?
Quote Reply
Re: Kicking it Half IM Style..... [AlohaJulio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's great.

Many more knowledgeable people than I on this site, with more experience. I'd post specific questions by starting another thread. Do some searches first, in case it has been covered repeatedly.

A lot of good tri books out there. Friel's "Triathlon Training Bible", for instance.

Best of luck.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: Kicking it Half IM Style..... [TriAlbany] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys, good work on signing up for a 1/2. Barring injury, I will see you at Timberman. It's a great race. The hills are large enough that you need to train for them, but not so large that you need to stress about them. There are some great, and fast, downhills too. Plus, the water is about as clear as you will see anywhere.

Nothing like that feeling in the gut when you register for a new race.
Quote Reply
Re: Kicking it Half IM Style..... [subminuteman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to saftyboy for getting me started on this, and to the rest for your advice.

Setting a stretch goal like this, what a way to start a vacation. I guess I'll have to limit my Corona intake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first IM on a road bike, nothing wrong with that. Now, get off ST and start training...

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply