Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Endurance fuel & hydration sugar ratios... and fuel science and stuff [oisisi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oisisi wrote:
Well,
i do use about 90-100 grams per hour, as research shows no additional benefits even if your guts can handle up to 150 grams or more.
The usage of fructose opens some more chemical paths and you may end up benefitting from fructose use, downfactor is the mostly unknown fact, that many many athletes do not digest fructose very well and end up with diar......
i use 70 grams malto and built up the rest with faster sugars detro or whatever, sometimes honey..pinch of salt is also mixed in.

you can find nice recipes here:

https://racepace.org/

i have used these for 70.3 and sprint / olympic distances with great succes....

I believe the research shows maltodextrin to be just as fast absorbing as dextrose. I use it mainly for it's lower sweetness compared to other CHO sources. Straight up fructose is so darned sweet for me don't use it over 20% along with 80% maltodextrin.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Endurance fuel & hydration sugar ratios... and fuel science and stuff [oisisi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oisisi wrote:
Well,
i do use about 90-100 grams per hour, as research shows no additional benefits even if your guts can handle up to 150 grams or more.
The usage of fructose opens some more chemical paths and you may end up benefitting from fructose use, downfactor is the mostly unknown fact, that many many athletes do not digest fructose very well and end up with diar......
i use 70 grams malto and built up the rest with faster sugars detro or whatever, sometimes honey..pinch of salt is also mixed in.

you can find nice recipes here:

https://racepace.org/

i have used these for 70.3 and sprint / olympic distances with great succes....

I'm not yet sold on ~100g/h being the upper limit. The study in familiar with showed that over 3h endogenous carb burn was no higher at 120g/h than at 90g/h. The questions that remain are:

Does this hold true for a 8h IM?
Is there a relationship between output and intake? A 6.5 ft triathlete surely can handle/needs more than a 5ft. Ditto for power output and fat/carb burn rates.
Can this be trained? Not just the gut, but the rapid use of endogenous carbs in the muscles
Is fructose/glucose actually the perfect combination? Surely there's something to add or another substance that hasn't been tried yet that can boost the absorbtion/usage.

Less than 10 years ago we all knew that 50g/h was the target and going above that was unnecessary.
Quote Reply
Re: Endurance fuel & hydration sugar ratios... and fuel science and stuff [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can add Geluminati to that 1:.08 list ;)

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What research shows there’s no advantage to over 100 g?
Quote Reply
Re: Endurance fuel & hydration sugar ratios... and fuel science and stuff [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
man, i would have to look it up...it has been stated in a podcast..i will have to check..
but they is a study started which focuses on muscle glycogen and its use, with muscle biopsies? sorry for my english..it is not germany based as this is hard to get approved..they try to look how much of the sugars taken end up in muscle tissue..
Quote Reply
Re: Endurance fuel & hydration sugar ratios... and fuel science and stuff [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't Honey 1:0.8? Whats wrong with just throwing a bunch of honey into a bottle adding water and throwing some salt in there and chugging that during a ride?
Quote Reply
Re: Endurance fuel & hydration sugar ratios... and fuel science and stuff [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back to the carb load ideas, except now we do it during the race.
Quote Reply

Prev Next