Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Half IM-IM Relay-Half IM in 7 weeks?
Quote | Reply
Reading the two threads about doing Half-IMs or marathons close to IMs got me thinking about a late season plan I was throwing around. Would this be too much?

September 10-Half IM

September 30-IM Relay (I would do the swim and the run)

October 29-Half IM

I am doing both Half IM's and think the 7 weeks between will be more than enough recovery. However, my brother and I are very close and don't get to race much together. He is a very strong cyclist and I thought it could be an awesome memory to do an IM relay together, I would swim and run so that isn't negotiable. I would run the marathon very conservatively as we are doing it for the experience, but it's still 26.2 miles. What would you do in those 7 weeks between the first Half-IM and the second?

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Half IM-IM Relay-Half IM in 7 weeks? [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I crazy for thinking this is possible?

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It all depends on how good you are at doing marathons. If you are a fast runner and plan on a 4 hour part-walk marathon then no problem. I.e. if you are a 3:00-3:15 marathoner then you could run the marathon in 3:45-4:00 going moderate pace with some walking and not really hurt yourself much. It all depends on how good you are at running long distances, there are people that can run a marathon every weekend and never hurt themselves. I typically run 2 or 3 marathons a year in training (sometimes up to 30 miles at a time) and the distance never bothers me as long as my nutrition and hydration is up to snuff. But I'm also one of those weirdos who is seriously thinking about a double IM...so don't necessarily take my advice.

Mad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you have so much time between now and then to build up a huge base of fitness that it should not be much of a problem to complete the three. A lot of it depends on where you are at now and if you can get to september 10th in good shape with no injuries (and rested).

Between the events, i would first and foremost make sure you are very well recovered. You are not going to have much time to build additional fitness between the events (if any). It will be about recovery and maintaining fitness built over the summer.
Quote Reply
Re: Half IM-IM Relay-Half IM in 7 weeks? [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a fairly decent long distance runner and tend to recover fairly quickly. I think you are right about treating like an IM marathon even though I won't be biking, the key to recovering quicker will probably be to run-walk the marathon as if it were an IM. The good thing is that the first Half-IM is a low priority race and the second is my big race, but there is 4 weeks after the IM relay before that. I figure the first week after the relay should be recovering and some light training. Then maybe a good week and a half of training and then a week and a half taper for the second Half-IM. How does that sound? I won't taper much for the first Half-IM, should I taper a little for the IM-relay?

Also, the real question, what the hell do I do for 5.5 hours while my brother is out on the bike course? What's the plan for starting a marathon in the middle of the afternoon when you did a long distance swim that morning?

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply