Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Non motorized treadmill advice (woodway curve vs all else)
Quote | Reply
I’m looking at investing in a non-motorized treadmill (I already have a Nordic track treadmill). After my experience with a “cheaper” Nordic track 2950 treadmill that broke after a few months of use, I’m looking at spending a little more money for something that will last.

I am deciding between the Woodway Curve Trainer (not original curve) or the Trueform Runner. I tried the Trueform and the original Woodway curve, but preferred the Trueform. The Curve trainer I think is more like the Trueform runner.

I am a middle/long distance triathlete with a 5 min mile time and 2:55 marathon time. So not fast and not slow.

I would be using it for interval work, some over speed (but mainly to work on increasing cadence), and long runs. Also a benefit of gait/form help.

Anyone have strong opinions on either? Shipping to Hawaii is ridiculous, and although the sticker prices are $1000 different, all in, the woodway is only a few hundred cheaper.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Non motorized treadmill advice (woodway curve vs all else) [whodatace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whodatace wrote:
I’m looking at investing in a non-motorized treadmill (I already have a Nordic track treadmill). After my experience with a “cheaper” Nordic track 2950 treadmill that broke after a few months of use, I’m looking at spending a little more money for something that will last.

I am deciding between the Woodway Curve Trainer (not original curve) or the Trueform Runner. I tried the Trueform and the original Woodway curve, but preferred the Trueform. The Curve trainer I think is more like the Trueform runner.

I am a middle/long distance triathlete with a 5 min mile time and 2:55 marathon time. So not fast and not slow.

I would be using it for interval work, some over speed (but mainly to work on increasing cadence), and long runs. Also a benefit of gait/form help.

Anyone have strong opinions on either? Shipping to Hawaii is ridiculous, and although the sticker prices are $1000 different, all in, the woodway is only a few hundred cheaper.

Thanks!

Unless you are going to purchase your treadmill with the goal of selling it at a later time for more than you paid for it, you are not "investing." Now I'll say something nice. Compared to 99% of the population, a 2:55 marathon is fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Non motorized treadmill advice (woodway curve vs all else) [whodatace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought a less expensive curved manual treadmill after my motorized one died. Ive only just jogged on it for a few seconds a couple of times and it is going to take some getting used to.
You cant wander around on the belt, there is a distinct sweet spot that you have to hit otherwise youre going to come to a halt very quickly.
Im assuming I'll get accustomed to it over time but its not as easy to run on as a traditional mill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After spending more time on a motorized treadmill this winter than ever, it was a shock to the system (& ego) running outdoors for the first couple times this spring. I'm under the illusion (delusion maybe) that a manual treadmill would be closer to actual running and reduce the difference next spring. How wrong am I; do manual treads use more of actual running muscles?

Also, did you look at Assault's offerings? If so, I'm curious what you found as pro's/con's of those to what you're targeting.
Quote Reply
Re: Non motorized treadmill advice (woodway curve vs all else) [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha. I only listed my times for context. Race times are all relative.

As far as an “investment”, I meant it more so as a life investment and not financial. Spending $6000+ on a motor less treadmill is a horrible financial investment in the traditional sense, but for my passion and now being a new father (reason for this purchase because of more running at home), it is a big life investment. After buying a $3000 nordictrack and thinking I paid for quality, only to have it break 2 months into using it, I realize that the $3000 price range is not quality unfortunately. And hence, investing more into a better? Treadmill.
Quote Reply
Re: Non motorized treadmill advice (woodway curve vs all else) [Dudaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also tried a woodway curve (original) and a trueform runner at the local gyms. Definitely will take getting used too. The less aggressive Trueform was easier to settle into a pace, where and the more aggressive curve made me want to run faster but not as controlled. I’m thinking that is why they created the cruve trainer, to be more average user friendly, and easier to maintain a comfortable pace.
Quote Reply
Re: Non motorized treadmill advice (woodway curve vs all else) [mdana87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdana87 wrote:
After spending more time on a motorized treadmill this winter than ever, it was a shock to the system (& ego) running outdoors for the first couple times this spring. I'm under the illusion (delusion maybe) that a manual treadmill would be closer to actual running and reduce the difference next spring. How wrong am I; do manual treads use more of actual running muscles?

Also, did you look at Assault's offerings? If so, I'm curious what you found as pro's/con's of those to what you're targeting.

I’m under a similar illusion. I also ran on the woodway 4front at the gym, and that feels pretty close to road running. However the idea behind the curved surface (from what I understand) is that is actively engages the rear muscles in a way that motorized treadmills don’t. If you have great form, you probably already do that, and a motorized treadmill is probably fine. But for most of us, it doesn’t hurt to be forced to engage the stronger running muscles (hamstrings/glutes). I think it does feel a little harder at first and then you get used to it (as with all fitness things). And ultimately, if the desire is to get faster outdoors and racing, then I believe the hard work on the treadmill will pay off and perhaps make out door running either easier or more efficient. That’s my goal at least.
Quote Reply
Re: Non motorized treadmill advice (woodway curve vs all else) [mdana87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdana87 wrote:

As far as comparing the assault runners or other cheaper ones (including the new rouge/woodway LTG), from what I was told, the quality of build and warranty are what you are paying for in terms of added cost. The more expensive treadmills in theory are more solid/sturdy so you do get as much of the rattling that can occur with the plasticy cheaper models. $3500 is a lot of money for a “cheap” version of something I’ve learned, so I’m willing to pay more for something that will last 10-20+ years. Perhaps the initial running experience might be comparable or even preferred on the cheaper or lighter version, but long term, might cost more money to replace. Also, I’ve read the maintenance on the cheaper ones is required more frequently, and the warranties are ⅓ the time. Perhaps if you won’t be using it a lot, the cheaper ones might be ok for a while. But any long term or serious use, I am personally going for the better quality. But I’m also financially able to do so. To each his/her own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Understand. Money well spent. Good luck with your training and enjoy being a father. I got my money’s worth out of my running stroller. Get one.
Quote Reply
Re: Non motorized treadmill advice (woodway curve vs all else) [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imsparticus wrote:
Understand. Money well spent. Good luck with your training and enjoy being a father. I got my money’s worth out of my running stroller. Get one.

Haha. Thanks. Recommendations? That’s definitely going to be an upcoming purchase too! Perhaps that question will need its own post when the time comes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have owned an Assault Runner for the past 3 yrs ,and use it regularly for the 3 months I run indoors. Yes they take some time to get use too but I find it translates to the road quite well . What I noticed right away is the engagement of the glute and hamstrings, because you are always running on the incline part of the treadmill you cannot help but push thru the entire stride. Also because of the incline your pacing will be off and so will your heartrate if you try and keep the same pace as a motorized one. I think of it as running up a 6% hill and use my heart rate to dictate my effort. By the time I get back on the road I do feel the extra strength gained from the treadmill, these are the things I’ve experienced. Good luck

"Be your best cheerleader , not your worst critic.”
Quote Reply
Re: Non motorized treadmill advice (woodway curve vs all else) [Kirch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kirch wrote:
I have owned an Assault Runner for the past 3 yrs ,and use it regularly for the 3 months I run indoors. Yes they take some time to get use too but I find it translates to the road quite well . What I noticed right away is the engagement of the glute and hamstrings, because you are always running on the incline part of the treadmill you cannot help but push thru the entire stride. Also because of the incline your pacing will be off and so will your heartrate if you try and keep the same pace as a motorized one. I think of it as running up a 6% hill and use my heart rate to dictate my effort. By the time I get back on the road I do feel the extra strength gained from the treadmill, these are the things I’ve experienced. Good luck

Thanks! That’s great insight.

Glad you like your assault runner. There are a few locally people are trying to sell, and it’s tempting. I’ve seen the elite model down to $3900 (which is a steal in hawaii since shipping is $1000). Wasn’t sure how the lifetime warranty transferred between buyers. I need to look into that.

What’s the maintenance like for that kind of usage?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not much , I oil the rollers once every 1000km as per the maintenance schedule and replace the batteries on the computer when needed. Also it is Bluetooth so you can run on zwift and the computer panel has a ledge so you can put a iPad against it.

"Be your best cheerleader , not your worst critic.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a TrueForm Trainer and I'm curious why you are looking at the Runner instead of the Trainer.

The TrueForm Trainer is bombproof, much more solid than conventional powered treadmills, and I see no reason for an individual to spend $$$$ more on the Runner
Quote Reply
Re: Non motorized treadmill advice (woodway curve vs all else) [Nelo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nelo wrote:
I have a TrueForm Trainer and I'm curious why you are looking at the Runner instead of the Trainer.

The TrueForm Trainer is bombproof, much more solid than conventional powered treadmills, and I see no reason for an individual to spend $$$$ more on the Runner

The main reason is the better warranty. Speaking to the rep, the trainer is made in Korea with cheaper (less premium) materials, and hence the shorter warranty.
Quote Reply
Re: Non motorized treadmill advice (woodway curve vs all else) [Kirch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kirch wrote:
Not much , I oil the rollers once every 1000km as per the maintenance schedule and replace the batteries on the computer when needed. Also it is Bluetooth so you can run on zwift and the computer panel has a ledge so you can put a iPad against it.

Good to know. I assume some level of maintenance is required no matter which you choose
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i lovemy trueform, i have a motorized next to it but i run on the trueform most he time.
Quote Reply
Re: Non motorized treadmill advice (woodway curve vs all else) [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cookiebuilder wrote:
i lovemy trueform, i have a motorized next to it but i run on the trueform most he time.

Which one do you have? Do you mind me asking why you chose it and if you compared it to a woodway or another NMT(non motorized treadmill)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
whodatace wrote:
Nelo wrote:

The main reason is the better warranty. Speaking to the rep, the trainer is made in Korea with cheaper (less premium) materials, and hence the shorter warranty.

From everything I have read, the Trainer is what is recommended for continuous running because its curve is less aggressive, yet still works what it’s meant to as a non motorized piece for proper form in sprinting.
I remember researching the Trainer a few years ago and I ran across a blurb from Slowman and Bobby McGee plus an endorsement from USA Triathlon. That never appeared again and now TrueForm seems to mostly focus on the CrossFit market.
Quote Reply
Re: Non motorized treadmill advice (woodway curve vs all else) [lyla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyla wrote:
whodatace wrote:
Nelo wrote:

From everything I have read, the Trainer is what is recommended for continuous running because its curve is less aggressive, yet still works what it’s meant to as a non motorized piece for proper form in sprinting.
I remember researching the Trainer a few years ago and I ran across a blurb from Slowman and Bobby McGee plus an endorsement from USA Triathlon. That never appeared again and now TrueForm seems to mostly focus on the CrossFit market.

The trueform trainer and runner are the same from what I was told. However, the runner does have a heavier belt, which causes more muscle recruitment and more calories burned. Supposedly.

I had done a deep dive on the interwebs and did see those endorsements also.

It’s just a confusing market since both companies sell the products I’m looking at to commercial spaces and not home users. So few people have reviews. I know slowman had a trueform runner in his gym next to a regular woodway 4front, but never did a follow up review on it. Maybe this thread will encourage a few words from him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious whodatace where you landed on your treadmill purchase? I'm also considering the Woodway Curve Trainer for the same reasons. I'm also looking at the Trueform vs the Woodway. Did you end up buying one? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Non motorized treadmill advice (woodway curve vs all else) [rowlandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up going with the woodway curve trainer.

Context: I tried the woodway curve and trueform runner before making the purchase. I just ran a 18min 5k (PB for me) and I use the curve trainer for intervals 20” to 6’ long and some easy runs.

It is not what I expected to be honest. The curve was easier to run on, as was the trueform runner. The trainer feels like it is on a 2-4% incline always. Not a bad thing, but not what I expected. The heavier belt and less aggressive angle, make it feel like there is always a resistance. It is smooth though, don’t get me wrong.

My easy runs outside are at a 8-8:15 min/mile pace. On the trainer, at the same RPE, it is a 10 min/mile pace. When doing all out sprints (I am not a great sprinter), I can hit 15ish mph outside. But I think I can barely touch 12mph on the trainer. I can 100% feel more glute/hamstring activation on the trainer, and my quads aren’t sore ever after hard sessions. But 1-2 weeks of only running on the trainer, and an easy run outdoors makes my quads tender. So the impact is way less (or running style just very different).

I am not sure if that helps you at all. If you have specific questions let me know. I don’t regret the purchase, and use it for at least 1 of my weekly runs (usually bricks off the bike or rainy days).

Perhaps I would have been happier with the trueform runner (I felt it was a smoother run for endurance/easy stuff).

It’s a training tool and I have just adjusted my expectations for it.

I would say that if you plan to do only interval and high speed work, the regular curve is probably better. If you want something for lots of long easy runs, the trueform runner is probably better. But without having them side by side, it is a hard call. They all have their place.

I have heard that the cheaper curve treadmills have a lighter belt, and maybe that feeling of running on ice is what is in my head, vs one with a heavier belt meant to truly enforce running with your rear muscles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went with the Assault Runner. The more aggressive curve is is reduced by placing a 2x4 under the back end, problem solved. The NFL has been doing this for years for the larger athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this. Just the sort of feedback I was looking for. Very helpful. I am looking for something to satisfy similar use cases, i.e. brick runs and intervals, but I'm also looking for something a bit more versatile, where I could use it for more of my weekly miles potentially. Sounds like Trueform may be better suited for this of the two. Thanks again!
Quote Reply