Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marathon 6wks after IM
Quote | Reply
Is this a stupid idea? I am doing my first IM this year and wanted to do the Chicago Marathon as well.

I have read you need on average about five weeks to fully recover from IM. I am thinking there is no way I would be able to get in the long runs necessary to prepare for a marathon if I'm destroyed from the IM.

Any advice? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon 6wks after IM [bigred3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Id like to get in on this but only the reverse .... I'd like to do Chicago Marathon and then the Great Floridian

Edit: Realzing some of you guys (I think Grogan) try to do 3 IM's in two months.
Last edited by: migo: Apr 20, 06 6:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't believe its a stupid idea, the outcome will prob depend on a few factors: the rate of recovery for yourself (very individual), the effort you're able to put in during the iron.

After good irons I'm wasted for a while, but a few years back I tanked an iron then pr'ed a marathon 3 weeks later.. my legs weren't trashed and I was fully rested for the run with just a 10 mile "long" run in between the efforts.

There seems to be no middle ground, people usually excel during the second race or its a very bad experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year I did Montreal Marathon after doing IM Lake Placid 7 weeks apart... results PB 2h49. No training at all the first week after the Ironman and I only ran during the rest of the 6 weeks no bike and no swimming. My longest run was 2h10 (30k)...all that IM training I had in the legs didn't require me to go any longer.

Week1 : total off training
Week2 : 4 run total 3h25 Mileage: 46k
Week3 : 5 run total 4h57 Mileage: 64k
Week4 : 6 run total 6h35 Mileage: 89k
Week5 : 5 run total 6h22 Mileage: 84k
Week6 : 6 run total 6h00 Mileage: 80k
Week7 : 4 run total 5h04 Mileage: 71k (includes marathon)

Good Luck,
Alex
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon 6wks after IM [SlayerHatebreed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed - it all depends on the individual and the goals for each race, the effort put forth during the IM, how well you recover and also how deep your IM training base was. Last fall I did the Cape Cod Marathon seven weeks after doing IMWI; I took two weeks off after IM and then focused on running with little cycling/swimming involved. Longest runs were 15 and 17 miles followed by a one-week taper. I ran 3:12 on race day and felt pretty good for the most part.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is also the mental aspect to consider - i.e. will you still be motivated to do the marathon at all after the IM? This obviously depends on the individual, but can also be hard to predict in advance, I think.

For example, I signed up in July last year for the BAA 1/2 marathon in early October, although I was already committed to IM Wis one month earlier. At the time I signed up, I figured the race would at least be an enjoyable experience even if I wasn't at my best for it. As it turned out, come October I had absolutely no desire to run it at all (so I didn't - a waste of ~$50).

Not trying to be discouraging, but just pointing out that there is a mental recovery factor as well as physical after an IM. Good luck whichever you choose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll be fine. I just did a marathon a week after IMAZ. I think you'd almost just want to use a couple weeks to recover, then get at least a 15 and 20 miler in before tapering for the race. (Keep in mind I'm not a coach and couldn't even play one on TV. Ergo, YMMV)
Quote Reply