Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pittsburgh visit - training tips?
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

I'll be in the great city of Pittsburgh, for my first visit ever, a few weeks away.

Staying in a hotel right downtown (Hilton) for a few days. I will have 1-3 hour blocks here and there to swim, bike or run. I will NOT have car access, so workout locations need to be walking distance or a very short, easy, can't-get-lost public transportation commute. So here goes:

1. Pool (public pool or masters team) downtown. Yes I did look at the USMS web site & swimmersguide.com but I couldn't really understand which if any were right downtown.

2. Places to run. Are there any asphalt or (naively hoping for) dirt trails to run? Concrete too hard on the knees.

3. Places to bike. This one may prove to be the trickiest to pull off. I would have to find someone downtown who rents bikes. Then take off biking directly from there. Then return bike and return to hotel and shower. All in under 3 hours. Fortunately my 3-hour biking window is on a Saturday so at least no rush hour traffic to contend with.

I read on another thread that the city is pretty hilly. Bring it on. I don't mind that. (Assuming the bike I rent has all the gears...)
Quote Reply
Re: Pittsburgh visit - training tips? [Oleander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live a few hours north of Pittsburgh, but I do know that there is a great shop there called Trizilla. You may want to contact them (just do an internet search) and see about getting a bike, group rides, pools, etc.

Ray
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Don't know about pools downtown, although I think there might still be a YMCA on Boulevard of the Allies, pretty close to the point. http://www.ymcaofpittsburgh.org/...howlocation.asp?id=7

2. From the Hilton, you'll have pretty easy access to the riverfront trails, which run along the north shore of the Allegheny and Monongahela rivers. The one north of the Allegheny (which is the one that runs past the stadiums) has a nice long stretch of crushed gravel trail that goes all the way to an island called Washington's Landing. All told, an out and back from PNC Park on that trail would be about 10K. Check out Friends of the Riverfront (http://www.friendsoftheriverfront.org/new_pages/index.htm) for more trail info in the downtown area.

3. Riding will be tough. There are no bike shops downtown. There is a rental place by the Eliza Furnace Trail (aka the Jail Trail), but I think all it has are cruisers. You could try contacting Trizilla, but it's about 7 or 8 miles up the Allegheny River from downtown, and would not be easy to get to. You might have to stick to running and swimming if you can't bring your own bike with you.

Unless you are adventurous and running long, you won't encounter many hills from the downtown area - not without running on sidewalks, anyway.

I race duathlons and like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is the Montour Trail just West of downtown...goes for miles. You can bike and run along it. There is a good running store called Elite Runners and Walkers that can help with group runs. Or Fleet Feet in the suburbs to help also.
Quote Reply
Re: Pittsburgh visit - training tips? [A-Train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. It occurred to me, amidst the tri obsessiveness, that maybe I should not forget to go and see some SIGHTS in Pittsburgh? Someone suggested the Warhol Museum. What else would you suggest checking out, given that I will have just 1-3 hours here and there?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some interesting things to do that are easily accessible from downtown:

- The Pittsburgh History Museum
- going up and down Mount Washington (on the south side) on one of the inclines... take a camera on a clear day, the view is amazing
- check out the shops in Station Square while you're on the South Side
- a walk through Point State Park
- if you have time at night, go to a Pirates game in PNC Park... they might not be the Yankees, but the ballpark by itself is worth the trip
- see what's going on at the Benedum Theater & other places in the Cultural District

I race duathlons and like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a cool place to run, grab a cab on over to Schenley Park. You can run there, but do not make a wrong turn or you better be prepared to get gangsta. Anyway, from Schenley, you can grab a couple of roads through Squirrel Hill on over to Frick Park. I ran there in college, but cannot remember the road to follow, just how to get there. Let me know if you are interested and I'll contact my people. You can have one helluva time in Schenley though. Also look for the Pittsburgh Pharaoh Hounds running club. They used to do a little speed session up at the Schenley Oval...I believe every Wednesday night. It's a 1000 meter dirt oval in the park. For a pool, they used to open Trees pool at Pitt to the public for some lap swims. They probably have a website to check out, but it's a long course :)

Now let's talk other sites:

1) Primanti Bros. cheese steaks -- After running in Schenley, walk off of Flagstaff Hill, across the bridge and down Forbes Ave. 2 blocks to the left. Now that's Pittsburgh.

2) Brewskies Tavern -- Go see how drunk you can get on a 10 spot. Jim and Chris will take care of ya. Fun time and no holds barred. Yes it's a dump though. I got my favorite autograph of all time from Justin Strelzyck there...the week before his high speed chase with the cops that ended his life.

3) The SOD in South Oakland -- if it's still open, awesome wings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size frame do you ride?

We have group rides that leave the store Saturdays at 9am.

I might have a bike for you. Just bring your pedals and shoes.

Also have a Endless Pool in the store.

Any questions call 1 800 504 5392.

http://www.trizilla.com

And by the way. They're real, and they're spectacular!
Quote Reply
Re: Pittsburgh visit - training tips? [140.6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang. I can't do your Sat. 9 a.m. ride. My window for riding on Sat is around 1-4:30 p.m.

I ride about a 53 inch frame. If there is a way to "reserve" something in advance then I'd be happy to pay for it. And visit your store. PM me.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've GOT to go to the strip! (italian district). You can get a mean sandwich, go to Wholley's fish market, etc. Definitely one of the coolest parts of downtown.

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply