Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

D-hydration
Quote | Reply
I haven't bothered much w/ worrying about it other than on race day. 1 bottle (24oz), is usually what I take on a <2 hr ride in <70F temps. I am a hydration fiend compared to my roadie friends who bring a small bottle for <3 hrs. For runs <1:30 I don't bring anything other than an emergency gel if I bonk.

I recently started weighing myself. Yikes! I lose WAY more than I thought. An easy 1 hour run (no fluids) and then onto the bike for a super easy 2 hours (1.5 bottles), all at maybe 60F, and I still lost 7lbs! Note that I only weigh ~151lbs.

Last night I swam an hour easy, then ran 45 mins easy. I drank 24oz and ate a bannana immediately after. I was still down 2lbs. Still was this morning.

Outside of training, I drink maybe 36 oz of water daily. Another 12-24 of milk, and usually a fruit salad at lunch. I'm starting to wonder if I'm fairly seriously dehydrated all the time!

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: D-hydration [Aztec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey...I'm an athletic trainer and can tell you you are most definately getting dehydrated. A rule of thumb we use in the biz is if you are consuming an adequate amount of liquid your pre exercise and post exercise weight should equal each other.

An average runner may lose from 1.5 to 2.5 liters of water per hour through active sweating.

We usually tell athletes to consume 20 oz of liquid per pound lost that evening...you can get by with 16...we just tell 20 increase hydration for the next day and if they lose more than 7 pounds they aren't allowed to practice again until it's all back.

Just a thought for you...good luck with everything
Quote Reply
Re: D-hydration [Iqoftwo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa! Thanks for the info.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply