Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PART NEEDED: Shimano cassette hub question
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I recently bought a used pair of carbone sl wheels with the shimano cassette hub.

It did not come with a cassette, so I bought an Ultegra 9sp cassette. (as I only have a 9sp dura-ace rear derrailour).

When I go to put the lock-ring on, it's not tight.

Does that mean that the hub only takes a 10sp Shimano cassette? do I need another spacer somewhere?

-New to repair
Last edited by: seejimrow: Apr 21, 06 7:26
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano cassette hub question [seejimrow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there should be a spacer behind the cassette
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano cassette hub question [cochise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know where I can get this little spacer ring that goes behind the cassette (9sp Shimano) for the Mavic free hub?

LBS?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
9sp Shimano cassettes don't have a spacer ring behind them, only the 10sp would need those. Is it possible you are missing one of the spacers that goes between the individual cogs?
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano cassette hub question [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
9sp Shimano cassettes don't have a spacer ring behind them, only the 10sp would need those. Is it possible you are missing one of the spacers that goes between the individual cogs?

Nope, there is definitely a spacer that goes between the casette and the freehub. I just changed 9sp cassettes yesterday, and the spacer was on my bike. Your LBS can order one, or you can have one machined...if it's wider than 1 mm I would be surprised.

If you really want to know, check out the tooltime section of the roadbikereview.com forum. A lot of wrenches hang out there.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano cassette hub question [GearGrinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My local LBS had a box of them (1mm).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ooops..didn't see notice that it was a Mavic, which use a Mavic spacer for 8 and 9sp 10sp on a Mavic would use the Mavic spacer AND the Shimano cassette spacer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LBS or
http://www.thethirdhand.com/index.cgi?c=Cassette&sc=Spacers&id=497806913932

I'd speculate the ordinary 9sp spacer would work, but LBS is probably a better bet in your situation..

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano cassette hub question [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for all the great feedback. i called my LBS and they told me to bring it in.

i'm going to check my wheelbag pockets again too...i feel like I've seen that 1mm spacer somewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it must be just shimano freehubs, because on both my rolfs and zipps there is no spacer for 9 speed ultegra.

---edit after re-read---

ah, mavic. yeah, they really like spacers between freehub and cassettes
Last edited by: acronym: Apr 21, 06 12:01
Quote Reply