Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What does Carbon Fibre look like?
Quote | Reply
I have an Argon 18, Mercury. Parts of it are carbon fibre. I was riding with my friend on the weekend and he told me that how the bike is painted is not really what carbon fibre looks like..you know..that criss cross look?? He told me that it's just "painted' that way to give it that certain look? Is this right?

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ironm4n.blogspot.com

-----------------
http://www.konashelley.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: What does Carbon Fibre look like? [tri_gear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert, but from what I've heard, some companies put an additional layer of carbon fiber on frames/parts in order to make it look super nice. Never heard that real carbon fiber bikes were painted to look like carbon fiber... but I suppose its possible.

From my experience with carbon fiber (making concrete canoes in University... long story), we got it in rolls that was basically a really nice woven fabric. Kind of like burlap size strands, but super smooth, tighter weave and of course much stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "weave" carbon fiber is real, but not the stuff doing most of the work these days. The weave is mainly a cosmetic layer on current bikes, if it's there. Look at the new Cervelos, any Trek OCLV, and others...you'll see what structural CF looks like...they aren't using the weave layer

Paint? Don't let your friend be your source of info. You might find painted or even decaled "carbon fiber" on Wal-Mart bikes...but not on your Argon

Gerard has posted on this question...in the past...I'd take his word over an ill-informed friend anyday...
Last edited by: TriBriGuy: Apr 18, 06 9:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typically, on bikes with a weaved carbon finish like this:

the outer layer is nothing more than a thin cosmetic layer that has been added and while it adds nothing to the strength once clear coated, it does enhance the appearnace of the finished product.

While the finish depends on the process used to mold and cure the material, if you are really curious about what carbon fiber looks like without a cosmetic finish, look inside the steerer tube of an all carbon fork or carbon fiber handlebars.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: What does Carbon Fibre look like? [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike,

it is time to refinish that very scratched-up hardwood floor.

It is time to get a little thing to put the remotes in.

Motor Trend is a better mag than Car and Driver.

Nice couch, too bad it will have citrus stains from the oranges that you apparently just leave there.
Quote Reply
Re: What does Carbon Fibre look like? [Jeremy K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The woven fiber you see on many parts and frames is not really just a cosmetic layer in most cases. That material is in fact real carbon and it is generally more expensive than unidirectional fiber as it has to be woven together. The woven fiber is not as strong or as stiff as unidirectional, but has one key property: toughness. With plain unidirectional material, the fibers are stronger and stiffer because they are not bent at the fiber intersections of the weave, but if you crack this material, there is nothing to stop that crack from propagating within a ply as the crack can run along the resin lines between fibers. 90% of the time the unidirectional fiber is all you need, but if you are drilling any holes or have any areas of likely crack formation or impact, woven materials are really ideal. If you look at one of our rims you see that there is woven material at the spoke bed and tire bed to eliminate crack formation and propagation from those holes, and also on top of the rim at the impact zone of the rim as woven materials generally have higher elongation before crack properties as well as keeping cracks from growing. If we were to use unidirectional materials in these zones, the rims could be made just as strong and impact resistant, but at a weight penalty. Also in parts like handlebars the woven can serve to hold the unidirectional onto the part, as a part that is subject to high deformations like a handlebar, can have individual strands of carbon peel away from the part if the part is deflected substantially. A few years ago I was in china visiting a factory and a company was working on a light carbon downhill mtn bike bar and they were trying to do it entirely in unidirectional, and the bar was sitting on a test machine with a massive nest of carbon strands peeled up and wrapped around the stem, where the free ends of the unidirectional fiber peeled away during the impact testing and subsequent loading allowed the fibers to continue peeling away. It looked like a really nasty bird's nest! By the time that product got to market they had put a thin ply of woven fiber over top of the unidirectional so that the part looked didn't gain much weight, but wouldn't have this problem.

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: What does Carbon Fibre look like? [Jeremy K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
it is time to refinish that very scratched-up hardwood floor.
I would agree if that were my hard wood floors - I got those images from teh wieght weenie forums as a means of illustrating my points. I actually have no idea who the frame, couch, and floors belongs to, much less where they are located. :^>

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: What does Carbon Fibre look like? [joshatzipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well...now we have some meat on things...thanks Josh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like this:

But also like this:

Kind regards,

Ofer

The bald man with the miracle hands
Quote Reply