Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

CGM in the USA
Quote | Reply
Ok, so not looking to debate value of a CGM or anything like that. I am just wondering how/if people here in the US get these. Is it a "wink, wink" with your GP who prescribes it based on A1c levels or somethings? or ebay from overseas?

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
http://goteamnltri.com/
Quote Reply
Re: CGM in the USA [gregkeller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've wanted to try it.

I work for an insulin manufacturer. So we have a lot of employee patients. I asked one about this for a person without any type of diabetes with hearing about it for performance. Shoot, the guy behind the performance cgm is the director of the pro bike team we sponsor. But even then, the employees with diabetes tell me the data "should" be rather uninteresting for a person well in control. Even during exercise. They also told me you could likely just literally ask your primary care person to do it and you could get one, maybe without insurance obviously.

So, not really sure what I would do with one despite it sounding cool/interesting that pros are using this now. Also the fact the performance aspect isn't buyable for US based folks it appears on their website.

Like, would you use it to determine some kind of fueling based on an indoor "unfueled to failure" type of glycogen depleting exercise?

Like, weigh yourself at time of day..........perform test of sweetspot to failure without fueling (only water).......weigh the water ingested and weigh yourself after...........then look at the area under the power curve versus the CGM reading????

I have no idea what I would do with it. Maybe if it does do something it could help my fueling. I chronically under fuel those longer aerobic rides where I am chewing up glycogen. Maybe that would help with a schedule for those rides.
Quote Reply
Re: CGM in the USA [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More general interest than anything. Probably don't need a cgm. I could probably answer most of the questions that I've got with an over the counter meter and test strips.

USAT Level 1 Coach
Team Next Level
http://goteamnltri.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregkeller wrote:
Ok, so not looking to debate value of a CGM or anything like that. I am just wondering how/if people here in the US get these. Is it a "wink, wink" with your GP who prescribes it based on A1c levels or somethings? or ebay from overseas?

You can get them without prescription in Canada. At least you can get the Abbott FreeStyle Libre although I do not know if any sports apps work with the generic version.

Definitely value for diabetics. Probably value for people that do not have a "perfect" glucose response and there are probably a lot more of these people than we suspect. Questionable value for a person that has a well working system.

You can get a box of normal test strips and determine pretty quickly how well or poorly your glucose response is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Levels and nutrisense will both prescribe them + an app.

I think nutrisense has better data
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You just need an Rx from a health provider, shouldn't be an issue unless you are trying to get your provider to do something funny with insurance ( i.e., imply you have T2 diabetes if you don't). Looks like the cash price for a Freestyle Libre is about $130 per month through Goodrx. As your GP if they have any samples in the sample closet- the reps hand them out to offices to get patients started.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been doing it through Nutrisense. Has been a complete waste of time/money. YMMV.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: CGM in the USA [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is all about the hepatic gluconeogenesis in each individual. I know my body needs 140-160 mg/dl for race level performance and how each individual maintains that glucose level is got to be figured out. I totally bonk at 100-107 mg/dl.
My liver will kick in glucose within 10min of lower exertion (due to bonk) and get me back to about 120-130 mg/dl. But for me this is not optimal and I need to drink something to get me back to 140-160 mg/dl (plasma) which takes a couple of min.
I recommend running off a 3 hr zone 2 bike ride with normal nutrition. See how long you can run off the bike (no nutrition) before you bonk and see what your glucose levels are in that process.

Btw - I have developed a CGM and Lactate sensor in my day job. Will start testing lactate invivo Jan Feb. cool stuff!
Last edited by: scca_ita: Dec 24, 22 9:03
Quote Reply
Re: CGM in the USA [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scca_ita wrote:
I recommend running off a 3 hr zone 2 bike ride with normal nutrition. See how long you can run off the bike (no nutrition) before you bonk and see what your glucose levels are in that process.

Ok, thanks for the reco, I will try it. Mine has just been extremely stable almost no matter what, including junk food/booze consumption (it is the off-season!) and exercise. I haven’t done anything over 2hrs since I started though. I did learn orange juice (which I habitually drink with iron supplements) hits hard, much worse than even soda. I switched to tomato juice, 🤢.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregkeller wrote:

I asked my Primary Care Provider, I’m not pre-diabetic or any other metabolic issues. I just told him I was doing a 200 mile gravel race and wanted to fine tune things. He gave me a 6 month prescription. I had to pay out of pocket and knew I would because I didn’t have any diagnosis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you ever get one of these?

I’m wondering if I can just call my telemedicine doctor to get a prescription
Quote Reply