Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lo Lo's first IM, a report.
Quote | Reply
I will spare you the breakfast details and skip straight to the good stuff. At 645 am I went to work on my first IM. The swim was going flawlessly and I even thought to myself "2000 people in this race and here I am swimming all by myself." This should have raised a few eyebrows (my own eyebrows) but I continued on swimming alone. As I reached the turn around I realized I was not swimming alone, I was the sucker pulling half of the pro pack. On the way back I tucked in to the middle of the pack and let someone else pull. Swam a 55 which was the shock of my life having been a 31 min half IM swimmer. I think the QR wetsuit is to thank for that one.

After I got out of the water people kept screaming "SIT DOWN." I had no idea why they were saying this so I kept screaming back "WHAT?!" To all of you iron virgins out there, dont ask why, just sit down and get stripped...it is as fun as it sounds.

In and out of the tent, and I was off on my bike. I hit a bump around mile 4 and lost my gel flask. No biggie, I figured I would just drink my calories. This worked out to 48 ounces of gatorade an hour...sitting here I realize that was an absolutely ridiculous idea for a 5'3" person. In the excitement of racing, I became an idiot...at least I got over my fear of peeing on the bike. I biked a 530, which was better than expected.

Started out on the run, which is usually my favorite part of the day. After the first mile I looked down and thought "I dont remember being 8 months pregnant." That was the start of a loooong run (I use that term loosely). I think the ENORMOUS amount of gatorade was to blame. Binge drinking is cool sometimes, but not in an Ironman. Somewhere around mile 19 I started to feel awesome, so I took off sprinting. This lasted about a mile before my gut put an end to it. Kind of a bummer, my legs never got tired, I was just too much belly and not enough muscle. Pulled in to the finish line in 10.40.

Did some chatting and headed back to my room for a shower. Started puking in the middle of Desperate Housewives, yakking would have been much more convenient at the 2 mile marker as opposed to in my hotel room. Headed back to the finish line for some cheering and to collect my sticky stuff. It was so inspirational to watch mothers, grandfathers, youngsters, first-timers, 30th timers, limpers and gallopers celebrating down the finish stretch. That is the beautiful thing about this sport, everyone has to overcome their own demons to get to the finish line, there is no easy way. In a society of instant gratification, we are a rare group...and I wouldnt have it any other way.

God Bless and thanks for reading, Laura
Quote Reply
Re: Lo Lo's first IM, a report. [Lo Lo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, amazing first IM. I see a top womens finisher in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yikes, 10:40 first IM for a female. Not too bad at all. Congrats!

Quote | Reply
48ox/hour, how's that for a learning experience ;-)

Coingrats on a pretty decent first IM :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lo Lo sounds like you learned a lot and your time was still great so not a bad day despite the sickness. ew! Let us know what other races you are doing this year so we can cheer you on.
Last edited by: trailbait: Apr 14, 06 17:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To all of you virgins out there, dont ask why, just sit down and get stripped...it is as fun as it sounds.

After the first mile I looked down and thought "I dont remember being 8 months pregnant."

Binge drinking is cool sometimes, but not in an Ironman.

Somewhere around mile 19 I started to feel awesome, so I took off sprinting. This lasted about a mile before my gut put an end to it.

I was just too much belly and not enough muscle.

yakking would have been much more convenient at the 2 mile marker as opposed to in my hotel room.

LOL!!!!!!! Awesome. Love the dry humour. Best of luck in your next race.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more thing... congrats on beating Kevin Grogan by 2 minutes!!! ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Lo Lo's first IM, a report. [trailbait] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I am racing on May 21st, just havent figured out where yet. I am also racing Eagleman, and then a few races in the Boulder area.
Quote Reply
Re: Lo Lo's first IM, a report. [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And another data point showing Gatorade is crap.

Awesome race, Lo Lo!

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good report and great time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
One more thing... congrats on beating Kevin Grogan by 2 minutes!!! ;-)
LOL, he's gonna get you for that one :-P

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OMG! That's an awesome time, go Lo Lo!!!!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10.40 is fast. congrats!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now thats a real feat on that day! Congrats anyway LoLo...

Paulo...when are we racing head to head? You pick the distance... Ironman CDA?
Quote Reply
Re: Lo Lo's first IM, a report. [KJGrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OMG Kevin, had you called me a wuss and I would race you tomorrow! ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there...great job and hanging in while working off plan B. Were you also using salt tabs, if not all that gatorade would make you hyprnatemic. Hopefully the Xmas virtual camp was good prep...it sure had to be with your huge 1750 pt total. I don't think anyone in our current easter camp will even get close.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I dont remember being 8 months pregnant." LOL

Re: Lo Lo's first IM, a report. [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I was a little bummed to get back and see another virtual camp had started without me ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, Laura! THat's quite some debut! Looks like you could have quite a future there if you want to persue it. Regardless, congratulations are due.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on that great accomplishment....but seriously, you need your own blog!

----------------------------------------
I ride a Cervelo...get over it....
Quote Reply