Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When should I bite the bullet?
Quote | Reply
My first Tri is coming up soon, I've done a few adventure races and really like the multi-sport scene. I'd like to get your opinions on how soon I should buy my first Tri bike. I'm currently riding a cannondale R700 road bike and where it may not be the most expensive it is light weight, fast and I love riding it. I'm sure this will serve it's purpose in these first few sprint distance races, but I keep hearing everyone say how much faster you are on a Tri bike. I do realize alot of it is the motor that makes you fast, but will I be missing the boat if I compete without one? Should I wait until I'm ready to compete in longer distance races. I wouldn't think that it can make that much of a difference in a 12 mile ride, but what do I know I'm a new guy. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.....

"Obsessed" A word the unmotivated use to describe the dedicated.
Quote Reply
Re: When should I bite the bullet? [RIPTIDE 11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW

I would wait and spend the money on a coach (the sooner the better).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd wait and save your money for a while. You'll do fine on a standard road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: When should I bite the bullet? [stepchild] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've got to be kidding me. The new tri bike may not be the best purchase at this time but it is by far less of an outlier than a coach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"but I keep hearing everyone say how much faster you are on a Tri bike"

Everyone says that? Don't think so.

I agree with you that it doesn't make that much of a difference for sprint races, especially if they are on a criterium-style course (multiple short laps or many turns).

When you are on a limited budget and are just testing the water a road bike will do just fine. And even at olympic distance and 1/2 IM races there are some really fast guys who ride more or less retro-fitted roadbikes. Plenty of threads to search on this forum....

Joining a masters swim program or hiring a local coach makes much more sense in the beginning.

Don't buy into the hype (unless you want to be the guy looking good on the $$$$ bike while having the slowest bike split).

Re: When should I bite the bullet? [ethics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply][i]"but I keep hearing everyone say how much faster you are on a Tri bike"[/i]

Everyone says that? Don't think so.

I agree with you that it doesn't make that much of a difference for sprint races, especially if they are on a criterium-style course (multiple short laps or many turns).

When you are on a limited budget and are just testing the water a road bike will do just fine. And even at olympic distance and 1/2 IM races there are some really fast guys who ride more or less retro-fitted roadbikes. Plenty of threads to search on this forum....

Joining a masters swim program or hiring a local coach makes much more sense in the beginning.

Don't buy into the hype (unless you want to be the guy looking good on the $$$$ bike while having the slowest bike split).[/reply]

x2

Build the engine, and get the over-sized spoiler later :-)

I'd rather drive a car that goes fast and looks slow, rather than a car that goes slow, but LOOKS fast :-)

------------------
The world is full of pricks who can only criticize. Are you one of them?

Your time and energy are limited. Are you wasting them by talking shit on the forums? -Dave Tate
Quote Reply
Re: When should I bite the bullet? [ethics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the advice.... I just get these impulsive waves that come over me sometimes. It doesn't help being single and not having that voice of reason ringing in my ear to bring me back down out of the clouds.

"Obsessed" A word the unmotivated use to describe the dedicated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My simple question is this: are you going to use aerobars and try to acheive a fairly forward aero position you can hold the entire race? If so then a tri bike is a good idea. If not then just ride your road bike. The purpose of a tri bike is to allow you to use the aerobars effectively. Other may argue they are faster because of their aerodynamic properties, but the difference is negligible compared to what a properly fitted tri bike with aerobars will do to make your body more aero.

Leader sells 78 degree triathlon frames on eBay for $300-500 that could be built into a nice bike for a reasonable amout of money. The difference in performance between a $1,500 tri bike and a $5,000 tri bike is pretty small and mostly about show. My first tri bike was purchased peicemeal on eBay for about $600 total. That bike was every bit as fast as any bike out there. I replaced it with an aero-tubed, wheel-cutout, trendy bike (I'll let you guess what kind) and to my dismay. I was still riding about the same times with the same amount of training. I replaced that with a bike that fit me a little better without resorting to short stems and forward posts and now I don't have any desire to replace it.

Chad
Quote Reply