Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bad hop in tubular.. Fixable?
Quote | Reply
A friend has some new Zipp wheels with new Zipp tubular tires on them. Both appear to be glued on straight and clean, but both tires have a terrible hop that is noticeable when riding. Any suggestions?

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Re: Bad hop in tubular.. Fixable? [Justin in OK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blasphemy!

There is not such a thing as "bad tubulars"!

Regarding a quick fix:

Toss the tires and wheels and go clincher.

Quote | Reply
Wouldn't that mean that tere is a hop in the rim? Those are hard to fix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the hop at the valve stem?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty new to tubulars, but I have already discovered that it's easy to get a nice hop near the valve stem if you don't pull/stretch that first section on there with quite a bit of force.

Also, I think some tires (cheaper or less flexible) might be more prone to it. I originally had professionally mounted Continnental Sprinters, that had a pretty darn good hop to them. I later bought some Veloflex Carbon's and mounted them myself and they went on much straighter, with almost no hop. They also seem much more pliable, and easier to work with.
Quote Reply
Re: Bad hop in tubular.. Fixable? [EDS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Visually I didn't notice any hop in the rim (808) and I hope to the heck there isn't a hop in the disk, but the hop seemed to be independent of the rim.

I didn't check if it was at the valve stem. I'll have to check that this weekend when I see the wheels again. That seems like a good possibility that would be fixable.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the casing of the tubular is split it will cause a hop. The casing can be bad when bought or if used from hittin something or from it being folded for long periods of time (like when used as a spare).

-

B.Oliver -My Blog...triguywithavx.wordpress.com