Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tech Question: Shimano Hub
Quote | Reply
Shimano Wheel WH-R540 - Front. I get a small ticking sound from the front wheel while the wheel spins. I took the hub apart and everything looks good (no obvious signs of wear.).

One thing looked curious, though. There are ten steel ball bearings on each side, but an 11th will fit. I checked on the Shimano website and the whR500 wheel technical document shows a total of 20 bearings (ten per side), the WH-R550 shows a total of 22. Am I missing a ball bearing?
Quote Reply
Re: Tech Question: Shimano Hub [Jon499] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope, 10 per side. There should be room. The ticking likely is coming from something other than the hub. The spokes, qr, and even valve stem are likely culprits.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you put the bearings in there should be some "wiggle room" If there are too many bearings it gets a little too snug in there for them to roll properly. As for the ticking, check to see if your valve is tapping the rim as the wheel spins. What type of tube is it? Does it have threads for the washer to thread down and snug the valve stem to the rim. Or even easier, make sure your computer magnet isn't tapping the pick up.
Quote Reply
Re: Tech Question: Shimano Hub [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<< nope, 10 per side. There should be room. The ticking likely is coming from something other than the hub. The spokes, qr, and even valve stem are likely culprits. >>

When I spin the wheel holding the hub in my hands, it spins smoothly, but ticks........any more thoughts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there grease in the hub? Silly question it may be, no grease on bearings clicking it makes. valve stem you should check.
Quote Reply
Re: Tech Question: Shimano Hub [cochise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was plenty of grease in the hub. I cleaned it, and repacked the bearings with all new grease. Same issue.

Not the valve stem either. Tire and tube are off when I spin it.

I'm confused....

Thanks for the suggestions...keep em coming.

Jon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going riding now, I will think about it and get back to you.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cone nuts too tight?

John Heiss
PhD Biochemistry, UCLA
Founder, Prolong Energy
http://www.prolongenergy.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tech Question: Shimano Hub [jkh2828] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wheel spins smoothly....so I don't think so, but didn't torque anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check the valve stem where it exits the rim. Wrap a bit of electrical tape around and see if it goes away.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
crap in the rim I bet.
I got some mavic rims like that

Thom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't remember off hand how shimano join their rims....

Very common to get a clicking sound from a loose rivet, nothing to worry about just rather annoying. I have known of people to pour glue into mavic rims to stick the rivet and stop the clicking.
Quote Reply