Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chain Cleaning devices
Quote | Reply
Do those little plastic devices with the little brushed in them work?
Quote Reply
Re: Chain Cleaning devices [ezrahallam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Better than nothing. I used one of those (Park Tools) for a year then just started putting Connex links on my chains (or using Wipperman chains). Way easier and neater to do that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought one at the LBS last week in the clearance bin for 3.50. It came with a bottle of finish line dry lube, so if I hated the thing I really wasn't out anything. For that price, it works fine for me. It seems like it works well for a quick clean, but I'm sure I'll still take the chain off every so often to really clean it up.

Last edited by: cslone: Apr 14, 06 7:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find this kind of cleaner works pretty well. However chains are pretty cheap, and they stretch almost as fast as they get dirty, wearing out your $300 chainset and decreasing your efficiency, so I will swap out a dirty chain with a couple of thousand miles on it.

As an alternative, I find that a passing dog can serve as a good chain cleaner, and as a bonus you can clean your hands on him too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As said, better than nothing. But not much better.

I find the best chain cleaner to be a SRAM Power/Masterlink. It allows tool-free chain removal anytime desired, which allows me to put it in the basin, spray it with "GUNK" and take a scrub brush to it. Then when dry, one drop of "Pro Link" on each link, and wipe till dry.

http://www.trails-edge.com/retail/bikeparts/chains.htm

And while they say for SRAM chains only, I've used them on Shimano 9spd chains for many years without failure or any problems whatsoever.

--------------
Elivis needs boats.
Last edited by: Schwingding: Apr 14, 06 7:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a rag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spray full concentration simple green on it and wipe...

=====================================
"Yeah you point a finger back far enough and some germ gets blamed for splitting in two."

Colonel Saul Tigh from Battlestar Galactica
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glass jar and gasoline (paint thinner etc.), a few washes and no scrubbing.

John Heiss
PhD Biochemistry, UCLA
Founder, Prolong Energy
http://www.prolongenergy.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
while i don't know for myself, my local LBS (who would have made some money selling me one) said that they push more junk inside your chain, wearing it faster.

i have used Prolink as a cleaner AND a lube. works pretty well, but certainly doesn't make it squeaky clean.
Quote Reply
Re: Chain Cleaning devices [BigBloke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome photo, the look on that dog's face is just priceless.
Quote Reply