Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Bikes Shoes = Leg Injuries?
Quote | Reply
I am currently trying to trace the source of some serious tightness behind both knees. My saddle height is good and my training has not changed much. The only difference is I got new bike shoes, switching from a pair of Carnac TRS7s to the Specialized Tri-Vents. The Carnacs had a rather large adapter plate/spacer to use with my Speedplays and seemed to put my foot in a more toe down position. My Tri-Vents seem to have my foot flatter and I feel like my feet are much closer together, even sometimes brushing against the cranks when I get tired and my form gets sloppy.

I know a major change in running shoes, say from a motion control shoe to a lightweight trainer can lead to injury, what about on the bike. Everyone is always told to go out and buy the running shoe that fits best with their foot/running form/mileage, etc, is this something to consider on the bike? Is it reasonable to think I could ride 3 years in one shoe than put on a new shoe and start heavy mileage and suddenly experience pain behind my knees that I never had before and have the shoe be a cause?

I love the fit of the Tri-Vents by the way, not slamming the shoe, just wondering if it might be the different foot position causing my problem.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Bikes Shoes = Leg Injuries? [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are your cleats too close to the cranks compared to previously? If so, push them out away from the cranks. Of course, new shoe can result in leg injuries if you change something substantially. According to Greg Lemond's book, cleat positioning is the first step in overall bike position. You have to change EVERYTHING including fore aft, saddle height, stem height and length the moment you change your cleat position, because now all your joints are at a different point in space with respect to the pedals.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bikes Shoes = Leg Injuries? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well actually, if the cleats were too close to the cranks than me feet would be further out. Does that make sense? If you mount the cleats on the very inside of the shoe then your feet are further from the cranks whereas if you mount them on the outside of the shoe it pushes your feet in towards the cranks.

I have tried adjusting cleat position though, yes. It felt like I was using my toes too much so I slid them back a little and I adjusted them to try to get my feet away from the cranks. I couldn't find a position I liked in terms of side to side. If I got my feet away from brushing against the cranks then it felt like I was pedalling with the wrong part of my foot, if it felt like I was pedalling with the right part of my foot than my feet felt too close to the cranks.

I guess maybe being naive, I thought a good bike shoe was a good bike shoe and it would be fine. The Tri-Vents certainly are comfortable, maybe they are just not the right shoe for me if I am struggling to find what feels like a good position and am having this new injury issue?

I put my cleats on my Carnacs and rode with them this morning and they felt better but the tightness behind both knees was still lingering from a hard ride on Wednesday. I am going to rest and stay off the bike this weekend and if I can get the tightness to subside try a hard ride in the Carnacs early next week and see how my knees feel the next day.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried to account for the change in stack height between the shoes' soles?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few things:

1. The Specialized do have a flatter sole profile as you have noted.

2. The Specialized have the Body geometry feature which tilts or cants the sole outwards slightly.

3. The Specialized shoes have a thinner sole( thus lengthing your effective seat tube height)

4. Did you get the cleats set up properly - fore/aft, narrow/wide and float etc . ..

Note the above points are not a knock against the Specialized Shoes - Specialized is making some of the BEST cycling shoes on the market right now, it's that there may be enough minor differences here, to possibly explain the leg problems.

My suggestion would be to go to a bike fitter who is really good a shoe/pedal set up and let them have a look.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Bikes Shoes = Leg Injuries? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much for the informed response.

Everything you said makes sense, the tightness I am experiencing is mostly behind and inside of my knees so the comment about the Body Geometry tilting the sole outwards makes sense. The thinner sole plus the lack of the thick adapter plate certainly lengthened my effective seat tube height. I didn't think of this at first but last week realized it and lowered my seat slightly, maybe not enough. I mounted the cleats myself on the new shoes, again, being naive and not realizing how important it was. Maybe I will ask around for someone knowledgable on cleat mounting before I sell my Tri-Vents. This weekend I am going to do lots of stretching and icing and ride the Carnacs next week to see how it feels.

I am almost certain it must be the shoes as it is definitely not a running issue, I have run a 10-miler and a 5k in the past 2 weeks and had no issues afterwards. Did a moderately hard ride Wednesday evening and have been very tight and sore since.

Thanks again, and I am not knocking the Specialized shoes either, very comfortable, just might not be the right shoe for me or maybe I need to get them dialed in better.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply