Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

removing stripped bolts w/ finesse OT
Quote | Reply
Hey guys, this is not bike related (though I do use my computer for slowtwitch). I was dissasembling my laptop and while trying to take off the "memory" hatch under the keyboard, I stripped a bolt. DOH! Now what? I don't think I can drill it out, as the processor and memory are like RIGHT under the bolt, and that would surely create a bunch of dust. Is there any way to fix this? What have I done????
Quote Reply
Re: removing stripped bolts w/ finesse OT [moose8500] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used a dremel to make a little notch in it, then use a flat-head screwdriver

--
mcoker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And there's always the epoxy-a-screwdriver-to-the-head trick.....Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You stripped a bolt, or the head of the screw?

If the head of the screw you could do the dremel idea or push down very hard while turning, or get a screw extractor for about $5 from your nearest hardware store.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: removing stripped bolts w/ finesse OT [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if it's anything like the screws on the bottom of laptops that I've worked on, I think most screw extractors are going to be too big for the screw

--
mcoker
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I stripped the head a bolt on the water bottle holder on my Merlin, my boyfriend at the time offered to weld another head on top of the stripped bolt so that I could extract it. My comment was something like "there is no fucking way I'm letting you within 10ft of my bike with your torch."

Needless to say, the relationship didn't last ...

I ended up getting the stripped bolt out by softly tapping my driver into it so that it was wedged in.

Everything worked out in the end ... he's probably moved on to someone who appreciates his welding skill ... and... the Merlin and I are still very happy together.

I wouldn't suggest the welding method for your laptop either.
Quote Reply
Re: removing stripped bolts w/ finesse OT [banana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That story kicks ass

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: removing stripped bolts w/ finesse OT [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He also ran with a thong under his tights saying that it was really comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm definately not a computer geek, but I'm pretty sure the memory and processor are immune to dust. The tiny pulleys and gears inside are very well sealed. ;-).

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: removing stripped bolts w/ finesse OT [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be a lot less worried about the dust than the potential slippage...

Power tools and computing do not generally mix very well. Laptops especially.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: removing stripped bolts w/ finesse OT [mcoker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I may actually try your idea, since none of the other ones seem to even remotely have a chance of working. Now, I need to admit something to you guys: I don't own a dremel (gasp! no shaving of WW parts!!!). That's the tool with this circular small rotating blade on the top right? Would that have the oomph to cut a notch in a pretty tiny screw?
Quote Reply
Re: removing stripped bolts w/ finesse OT [AR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is epoxy super glue? If not, what??? Does this actually have a chance of working? I don't think the screw is locked in SOOOO tightly, just that the head has been stripped to the point that no screwdriver I tries even engages AT ALL!
Quote Reply
Re: removing stripped bolts w/ finesse OT [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mean that the edges in the head are ground off, so basically there's this circle. I stripped the HEAD. As somebody mentioned, would this bolt extractor idea work for a tiny laptop screw? What is this machine? Any pics of a mini sized one? THnx
Quote Reply
Re: removing stripped bolts w/ finesse OT [banana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That guy has issues, I wouldn't let anyone with a torch anywhere near my bikes, over my dead body. I certainly might try to blowtorch the bottom of my plastic laptop to see if I can melt to bolt without doing ANYTHING to the memory, hard drive, screen etc... Has a good chance of working, I think! ;) ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00966197000

but I think I might try a small dab of superglue and hold the somthing in the glue while it dries. But super glue is not great in shear. Epoxy whichi is different would work better, JBWeld would be good if you can do a small drop. You will need a new screw.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for a bolt extractor, you drill a hole in the bolt, then screw a reverse threaded drill-bit/screw thing in it, so as you tighten into the hole you drilled, you actually turn the bolt counter clock-wise, so it will start to unscrew. But they're super brittle the smaller they get, and I've never seen one small enough to work on a little laptop screw.

A dremel is the little electrical tool that has a little circular sander/cutter tool on the end (it actually takes many other tools on the end, but this is the most common). If you don't have one, I'm not sure what you could do. I would suggest using a fine-toothed hacksaw blade or something, but I bet the screw head is either flush with the laptop chasis or actually dipped down inside it a little.

--
mcoker
Quote Reply
Re: removing stripped bolts w/ finesse OT [mcoker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I'm going to try the epoxy idea, as that might work in theory, if the stuff has enough OOMPH. Otherwise, I will try to get a dremel, as that might be the only other solution. I'll make a small notch, then try to use a thin flathead or something and hope it pops right out. Shouldn't be too hard to drill it, as the damn cheap little bolt was so soft and cheap in the first place than a few turns and it ground up the head. (sigh :( )
Quote Reply