Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Should I move to Boulder?
Quote | Reply
I have been accepted to CU and am considering moving from NC. I've also been accepted to UNC Chapel Hill, a high quality school that is close to home.

Tell me about training benefits. There must be some, since so many elite athletes call that area home.

One of my main concerns is riding during the winter. Is it just a matter of the right clothing, or would I be forced onto the trainer?

Talk me into or out of moving to Boulder.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I move to Boulder? [toofewbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends on what you want to ride. Mostly sunny, but in winter you will have 3-6 storms with 3-10 inches of snow. Will disappear in a few days, but for those days you'll either have to go trainer route or snow bike route. Cold will not be a problem, you just need to dress for it. It's not bad, usually only down to 20 for the low. Sometimes in summer you'll have to watch out for lightning storms.

Boulder is generally bike friendly, but some main streets you'll want to avoid. With the students there are almost always bikes about. Some bike groups are really into racing.

Don't know about CU. One additional advantage about the town is you will be forced into moderate high altitude training, about 5700 feet above sea level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there is no talking into....just go! It is a great place to be, only if you like mtns, trails, flat, hills, hot CU BUFF girls......

Your suggestion should read, "Why should you stay in NC and not go to Boulder?......."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We generally have a couple of cold spells and a few snow storms here and there each winter. Typically the snow melts within a day. Usually though you can ride if the sun is out, and that is over 300 days per year. I think I was on the trainer 10 so workouts all last winter. On those few days that you can't ride outdoors you can go skiing like normal people do. ;)

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Illegal Pete's, Amante Coffee, the Rio, CU coeds...enough said.

Kurt

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is CU out-of-state tuition? and UNC in-state costs?

If the tuition is a huge difference, stay home and buy a new bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training...awesome! I think I was only forced on the trainer 3 times over the winter. You can also go xc skiing for 3-4 hours on those days as well. Being that it is dry (not humid), training in the winter is nothing to worry about, unlike the Midwest where I moved from. I believe the mild winter IS one of the benefits to moving here...IMO.

Rowdy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, you should stay in NC, we have all we can take:) I am just joking of course but Boulder is a hot place to live. I have no idea what UNC is like but the cost of coming to Boulder may (may not) be an issue to consider when you look at housing, travel and tuition. Boulder is located in a great place and makes being outside really easy. Boulder also is a strange place:)

The winters here are not bad and no where near how people picture them and the summers are great. There are tons of athletes in Boulder and it is home to one of the best race series around with great races right at the Boulder Res.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training-wise, it's hard to beat Boulder. You're right at the edge of the foothills, so lots of mountain climbing is at your doorstep. Go south, and you have the flats of the plains. Huge tri-training community. It truly is a Mecca for triathlon and cycling.

If you are coming for undergrad, one place is usually as good as another. However, in-state v. out-of-state tuition may matter if money is a factor (if not, then I wish I was you). If you're looking at grad school, choose the one that is best suited for your career advancement. You can always move to Colorado later, but you can't go back and re-do a missed educational experience that shapes your future career.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been to Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill and i lived in Boulder for 5 years. Boulder is the most beautiful place i have ever lived (and i have lived a lot of places. The front range (where Boulder is) also has hands-down the best weather I could ever imagine. People golf all year long there. Like someone said, you get snow - but then there a 50 degree day a few days later - even in Dec. and jan. And then you also have these reaaly awesome thunder storms that come in in the afternoon during the warmer months. They are short and refreshing. Boulder is increasingly commercial and selling out swiftly - so if you think you are considering the bohemian grassroots liberal outpost of old, think again. But, for me, it would be an easy choice between the two. Of course, after you graduate, you will not be able to afford to live any closer than Longmont, unless you rob a big bank. Real estate is insane there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Went to Boulder for the first time last summer. It's an awesome place. I'd love to live there, and would have *really* loved to have gone to college there (I wandered through the CU campus on the first day of fall classes...very nice).

Go for it. You will not regret it. And you'll be able to find other ways to entertain yourself when the winter's too much for decent cycling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boulder -

Been there - Done That - SHOULDN'T HAVE LEFT!!!!

Go and eat eggs sardou at Lucille's! It will change your life!!!

Jason

It's a dry heat!
Quote Reply
Re: Should I move to Boulder? [mohole15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was partial to afternoon Margs on the roof of the Rio Grande. Oh, memories.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I move to Boulder? [mohole15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great School and bike Mecca. I know I couldn't afford to live there and I can afford Honolulu. So there ya go. I would choose UC over NC any day of the week. Now Boone or Ashville may be a tougher choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Boulder. Graduated from CU. I grew up in the Mid-Atlantic. Boulder is much more mild so far as climate goes, you only NEED to ride a handful of trainer sessions due to weather in the winter. We also get many warm days in the dead of winter, so you might find yourself riding in January in shorts on occasion (I have).

We have some great races and series around here, as well as many people to train with. It can be very motivating to train around all of the world class athletes, just be humble.

Plus, CU has a new football coach who is bringing a new style of offense (which will mean we might actually have an offense this year) so it should be an exciting fall this year! GO BUFFS!

Geoffrey Nenninger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
being a CU grad. I would say find another school unless you really like the garnola lifestyle alot. (i know kinda generalizing but it was my experience)

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not spent enough time in NC to compare the weather to Boulder. But, I used to live in DC whose weather I suspect is that not different from Chapel Hill. Boulder's Winter feels much warmer than DC's, because of the dry air and the strong sun. Not that many cloudy days. Snow melts quickly. It can be windy here in the winter (heck, it's windy here today but the temp must be about 80). It's rarely too windy to ride (I suppose these things are also a matter of personal tolerance), but it can be annoying. As far as training goes, I suspect there's no contest between the two locations. World class athletes come here to train.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I move to Boulder? [k-factorfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simple, UNC is the arguably the better school plus look at these statistics.

UNC
Female 58%
Male 42%

CU
47% women
53% men

Boulder is awsome though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Accepted any place else?

Some folks might not get as much out of college if they go to a college close to their home. Everyone's different. However if you have only lived in NC, I would recommend against going to college there, you are young and need to see more of the world. The question should probably be - what do you hope to get out of college besides a great place to train?
Last edited by: SWoo: Apr 13, 06 22:04
Quote Reply