Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

taper down to zero before boston. harmful?
Quote | Reply
this is my first boston, 3rd marathon, and i'm exhausted from all the tri/marathon training so this last week i've done absolutely nothing. no running/cycling/swimming/weights. i assume nothing i do now will have any effect on performance, right? so i can continue to rest, or should i throw in one last 3 miler tomorrow?

thanks,

c
Quote Reply
Re: taper down to zero before boston. harmful? [cyclisto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been cutting back for Boston the last few days but wasn't exhausted to start the week as you described. The taper I've done has me feeling like total crap today - no energy, yet tense and uneasy. I plan to run 5-6 miles tomorrow and 2-3 miles on Sunday (no more biking or swimming). Hopefully that will help mentally and to keep the legs fresh. Good luck in Boston.

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You would know better than I, as I've never run a marathon. But, I was under the impression you want to keep loose and do a few short run a few days before... $.02

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You really should get out and do a few easy miles today and tomorrow. Take it easy on saturday, but run a steady 4 or so on sunday. A good option is to do the Freedom run on sunday morning. This event open to participants and family/friends is a fun run of about 3 miles on the historic freedom trail. Free tshirt and food after the run. I am completely stoked - weather forecast says that it is going to be 55 w/ 34% humidity at 2:00 on monday. Should be some fast times this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a personnal thing. My likes to taper (no running at all) for five full days before a marathon. I prefer a short easy run about three to four miles each every other day. If you are looking to run fast, do a short pick up or three at anticipated race pace.

My number is 10035 (Hugh Blake) and my wife is 17139 (Cynthia Medwedeff-Blake).

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
short easy run with a few 1 minutes fast pick ups
Quote Reply
Re: taper down to zero before boston. harmful? [Mr. Slave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exactly what Mr. Slave says... or you might be "flat" on Monday.

Kurt

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Re: taper down to zero before boston. harmful? [trukweaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The absolute WORSE thing you can do is go into total shut down mode. I had a terrific bike session this morning of hard intervals, and will be running tonight around 45 minutes, tomorrow, a 30 minute run, Satuday, some walking after the plane ride, then the Freedom Run (2.8 MILES) ON Sunday morning. I'll be ready to roll on Monday at noon!

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Re: taper down to zero before boston. harmful? [Lar Dog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks everyone...tapering is weird....nervous stress/excitement.....gonna run a couple today as you recommended....

looking forward to the whole boston experience....should be incredible as everyone says.

good luck everyone!!!!!!!!

cyclisto
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first Boston too - can't wait! I had a pretty light week last week and this week have only run once. I'll probably run one more time before Sunday and will do an easy 2 or 3 on Sunday. Have a fun race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm keeping it to short, easy workouts this week. Longest was a 40-minute run in the grass yesterday, easy-paced except for 4 accelerations of about 100M. I'm taking a rest day today, and another rest day Sunday. (Unlike most people, I always take my last rest day the day before a race.) In between, I plan an easy 30-minute run (with another couple of fast accelerations) before my flight tomorrow morning and an easy 20 minutes on Saturday.

This is exactly the pattern I followed before my qualifier, and it worked well for me then.

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply