Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New technology keeps coming - buy new bike this year or next?
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately this interest is addictive. There are some interesting drive train improvements coming next year with more shimano 10 speed systems. Soon there will be electronic shifting drive trains. 5 years down the road we may be offered chain free drive trains, etc.

Ok, say 5 years is way way too long to wait for a new ride. 3 months is too short of a time. So how do you decide when to upgrade to a new ride? Do you just plan to replace the components every few years or what?
Quote Reply
Re: New technology keeps coming - buy new bike this year or next? [6oclock_low] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always buy last years bikes. You save a huge amount of money. Also never buy 1st generation products unless you like paying to be a beta tester.
Quote Reply
Re: New technology keeps coming - buy new bike this year or next? [6oclock_low] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy now. You never know when you'll get hit by that bus... ;-)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to buy a new computer when they came out with that snazzy Pentium processor, but then I heard there might be something better coming... so I'm doing just fine with my abacus...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
now you can see the problem with an 18 month evaluation period. you'll always be evaluating old technology. you can sit for years thumbing through catalogs and researching the latest and greatest bike. otherwise you'll sit forever waiting for that perfect bike. a month ago you were talking about a ti tri bike with zipp 808 wheel with a budget of 7k and then started talking about adding fenders and disk brakes. it seems like you don't really know what you want. just figure out your budget, buy a decent road bike and start riding and you'll have a better idea of what you want for your next bike.
Quote Reply
Re: New technology keeps coming - buy new bike this year or next? [nickc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, you have great memory. Actually it hasn't changed much. I may drop the disc brakes. I was just wondering if should wait for next year's shimano 10s cassettes for disc brakes, or not. I don't see the value in getting a road bike. It wouldn't be enough improvement over current ride. A tri setup is interesting. Yes I know you can put addon's on a road bike, but then that means some comprising. I'm tempted to move forward the purchase date, as nothing has changed in preferences lately. Although it will be after dan finishes the bike fit updates.

What I'm wondering now, is based on experiences here, is it more common to just replace components on a great frame when need arises, or is the typical lifespan, say of a Blade/Tiphoon frame limited to XX years because rider's interest change?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just buy a bike with a good frame that you think you'll still like in 2 years time. ride it. lots. replace stuff as it wears out.

i'm still riding the same road frame I bought in 1996. (if you don't count the warranty replacement)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Barring accidents, the lifetime of a frame has everything to do with how deep the riders pockets are. drive train components wear out but not many people can claim to wear out a frame. I think, if you have a frame you really like you're more likely to just keep replacing parts. it's up to you if you upgrade or replace with the same quality. If something new and sexy catches your eye, you're going to be looking for reasons to replace your ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<< I may drop the disc brakes. >>

No offense, by why the F would you possibly need or want disc brakes on a road or tri bike???

The braking is limited by the minimal contact patch of the wheels on the ground, not by the brake pads on the rims, even in wet or dusty or whatever other poor braking conditions you could imagine. You will skid the tires long before you max out the friction of the brake pads on the rims. (Carbon rimmed wheels excepted)

You are looking for a solution to a problem that does not exist.

Which also leads one to think that maybe you really don't have a clue what you need. In which case, why not get something basic and servicible now, ride the shit out of it for a few years, and then you will actually know what you need and want in a bike? There really is nothing new under the sun when it comes to bike frames. Seriously. As cool and high zoot as a P3C may *seem*, it's only about 0.001% 'better' than a P2K or a P3 that has been around for years.

<< Yes I know you can put addon's on a road bike, but then that means some comprising. >> Agreed. You may only post top 4% bike splits or better at every race you do, like I did with that 'compromise' all last season. Bummer. Sucked to be me. And what about all those ITU guys and gals too. Double bummer.

PS - I've had an aluminum framed Klein road bike that I've been riding hard (and in the rain, like today) since '99. Other than a few minor scratches it looks like new. And other than cassettes, a chain, and of course some clip-ons, it is all original stock. Well maintained road bikes can last for a very very very long time.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: New technology keeps coming - buy new bike this year or next? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]<< I may drop the disc brakes. >>

No offense, by why the F would you possibly need or want disc brakes on a road or tri bike???

The braking is limited by the minimal contact patch of the wheels on the ground, not by the brake pads on the rims, even in wet or dusty or whatever other poor braking conditions you could imagine. You will skid the tires long before you max out the friction of the brake pads on the rims. (Carbon rimmed wheels excepted)

You are looking for a solution to a problem that does not exist.
[/reply]

I plan to ride on road also. Problems solved by disc brakes are:
1- rim overheating on long, or steep, downhills, leading to increased risk of blowing a tube. [ happened once at 30mph and I did not like the ride]
2- braking degradation in wet rides
3- frequent pad replacements.

One poster has suggested alternative to #1, but I have not tested his solution. It is because of this recommentation, I am re-questioning the need for disc brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<<I plan to ride on road also. Problems solved by disc brakes are:
1- rim overheating on long, or steep, downhills, leading to increased risk of blowing a tube. [ happened once at 30mph and I did not like the ride]
2- braking degradation in wet rides
3- frequent pad replacements. >>

OK, you've got me on #1. Never happened to me, or anybody I know, but I guess it could.... (I guess I could be abducted by aliens too, but that's not going to change my bike purchasing decisions ;-) Feather the front brake, then the back. Lather, rinse, repeat. This helps minimize this potential problem.

2 - yer still more prone to skid a tire than to worry about lack of grip of the brake pads. I ride in the rain semi-regularly, and I have zero desire for more braking, since the last thing I need to do is be able to lock up my wheels on a wet day. Consider it a super high-zoot technological bike advance, anti-lock braking! ;-)

3 - huh? I don't think I have ever changed the brake pads on my road bike. Perhaps maybe once. Since '99. Lay off the brakes, all they do is slow ya down! You don't think discs need pad changes? Not to mention the extra issues they present: non field-repairable, potential pad rub, extra weight, lack of replacement parts easily available. Don'tcha think that if disc brakes were a benefit on road bikes, then all the pros would be riding 'em?

PS - it takes like 3 minutes and costs almost nothing to replace brake pads. Not that I ever actually do it all that often. On my mtb's either.

Happy shopping. All the best-

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Listen - it's always a great time to by a new bike. The technology developments with bike over the last number of years has been extraordinary. The mid priced bikes that you can buy today( about $2000) are the same bikes that were being ridden to victory at the Tour de France and IMH just a few years ago. Going beyond that price point and my sense is the real tangible gains start to drop off, significantly. If you take good care of your bike, it should last for years.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you are thinking too hard.

Personally, I buy a new bike when I am either/and a) bored with the old one, b) does not fit the type of riding I am doing at the time (tri v road v cross)c) crash and break one (never actually broken one yet, touch wood) d) the old one is a complete lemon and I did not (or no longer) enjoy riding it for whatever reason (refer to a above).

Components wear out even with the best care (wheels and chains come to mind) and stuff breaks (in my case lots of stuff broke -bars, fork, headset) So replace them when they do.

Re: New technology keeps coming - buy new bike this year or next? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]
OK, you've got me on #1. Never happened to me, or anybody I know, but I guess it could.... (I guess I could be abducted by aliens too, but that's not going to change my bike purchasing decisions ;-) Feather the front brake, then the back. Lather, rinse, repeat. This helps minimize this potential problem. [/reply]

Well that's what I was doing. But it was a steep downhill in Monterey and the tire/tube could have been very dold

[reply]3 - huh? I don't think I have ever changed the brake pads on my road bike. Perhaps maybe once. Since '99. Lay off the brakes, all they do is slow ya down! You don't think discs need pad changes? Not to mention the extra issues they present: non field-repairable, potential pad rub, extra weight, lack of replacement parts easily available. Don'tcha think that if disc brakes were a benefit on road bikes, then all the pros would be riding 'em? [/quote]

Have to hit the brakes when going 25+ and have a 90 degree turn at stop sign. I don't mind going fast, but when going about 30 and speed is increasing because of steep downgrade I may take off some speed.

[reply] All the best-[/reply]

Thanks, I've started saving this month for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't hold your breath or wait for new technology, it may be well overdue but it isn't likely to be a big factor any time soon.

I got into this sport in 1990.
looking at road bikes
In that year you could of bought a kestrel(full carbon) with 8spd dura ace STI. It would of weighed about 8 to 8.5 kg.

Fastforward to 2006:

You could now get 10spd durace (two more gears yay that means a whole stuff all) and the bike would be full carbon and probably weigh about 7 to 7.5 kg.

So in sixteen years we have gained a couple of gears and lost a little weight, what this means to the average athlete over a 40km race...probably about 20seconds, I wouldn't be worried about the advancing technology, the new stuff is cool and fun but really dosen't make much difference.
Quote Reply
Re: New technology keeps coming - buy new bike this year or next? [triguynz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguynz,

Thanks for the historical perspective. This does help. You have a good point the extra gear will not help that much.
Quote Reply