Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

iPod shuffle vs. nano
Quote | Reply
I currently have a mini. It is really pissing me off. Stays charged for about an hour and half max before cutting off and causing me problems. I also have some gripes about iTunes after switching computers and not having a lot of success with transferring songs from the old computer to the new. Basically, it seems my music is a mess. Not a lot of organization at all. I need to revamp my whole program.... SO!!!! I'm ready to scrap the mini. Do I get a shuffle or a nano??? I like the shuffle cause it is small but a young tech savvy buddy told me to go with the nano. Then, what case do I get to protect it...is there one that would work while swimming??? What is the best set of earphones to get with it? Should I consider other other accessories???

Bottom line is that I want something that is triathlete friendly.... I will wear while biking and running definitely... The smaller the better... the longer the battery life the better. If I could also wear while swimming, that would be awesome!

I know how to use iTunes..but...Somebody simplify all this iPod stuff for me... What should I do!?!?!?!

Andy

'You'd be surprised how many people violate this simple principle every day of their lives and try to fit square pegs into round holes, ignoring the clear reality that Thinsg Are As They Are.'
Last edited by: Andy: Apr 13, 06 4:04
Quote Reply
Re: iPod shuffle vs. nano [Andy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
your asking for something that probably hasn't been developed to acceptable standards yet. however, the ipod nano is a wonderful mp3 player, picture viewer, very small, long lasting battery life, and with the proper case can very durable.. if you have any other questions look up some of my previous posting pertaining to the nano..

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

as for use while swimming.. hmmmmm.. not gunna happen unless you wrap it up in condoms and zip lock bags... hope this has helped out for you... good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the size and simplicity of the shuffle. I just turn it on an listen so the lack of window doesn't bother me.

Quote | Reply
I have a big iPod with 40 GB and a shuffle. I use the shuffle while running all the time. Why? Because it weighs nothing, and there's plenty of tunes for 2+ hour run......I don't listen to music while riding.....

----------------------------------------
I ride a Cervelo...get over it....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like my shuffle...

I don't miss the screen. It is really small. And if I wear it running in the rain too many times it is way cheaper than a nano.

Also you can get an accessory for it that powers it with 2 AAA batteries. So while bigger it is still really small. They claim that the AAA batteries will power it for 20 hours.

--
"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside a dog it is too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

for athletes http://athleticlog.org/
for nerds http://rogercortesi.com/eqn/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"No-Brainer". Nano hands down. It can do everything that a shuffle can do and much much more. You can program the order of songs, you can see what your playing, you can hold more music, and if you want you can shuffle. so where is the decision? and oh yeah..its about the same size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although I have both I would vote for the nano as it really bugs me not to have a screen to be able to get to start at the tune I want. At said if you want to swim with one you need the swimp3 mp3 which I think finis make. I don't wear mine on the bike for safety reasons so its pretty mmuch warm up,cool down, running and gymwork I use it for besides in the car through an i-trip.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: iPod shuffle vs. nano [fxjeffrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Problem with the nano is there is no waterproof case available (at least there wasn't when I looked). I ride with mine all the time and the weather can be unpredictable around here. There are very nice waterproof cases available for ths shuffle. I put it on and don't worry about the weather at all. Plus, I can get over 10 hours of music on the thing. That is plenty. Who needs a screen to look at while you are running or biking anyway?

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The mini is still a great player....replace the battery...it is most likely due....or....sell it on eBay and get a Nano........I have a Shuffle, works great.

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both a Nano and a Shuffle and I actually use the Shuffle a lot more of the two. First, it's cheaper so I don't worry at all about it dying due to elements, loss, or pilot error. I also got a great skin and armband for it at RadioShack for US$14.95 that protects it really well and doesn't chafe my arm at all, and used together as long as the cord isn't in the way I don't notice it at all.

Get the 1 GB Shuffle and unless you're an ultramarathoner you're not going to run out of tunes or battery power during a run.

Aeromon (Aerobic Monster) - Pokomon's evil endurance junkie twin
Quote Reply
Re: iPod shuffle vs. nano [Aeromon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Aeromon. I had a shuffle, until I got it all super sweaty (my own fault) and it stopped working, then I got a Nano. I should have gotten another shuffle.

It all depends on what you want from it. The differences are....
Nano has 12hrs battery life, shuffle has 14 (although it seems to me that the Nano actually has less than this)
shuffle is smaller
shuffle is cheaper
nano has a screen
nano you can pick your songs
nano has higher song capacity - shuffle comes in 512mb or 1gb, nano comes in 1, 2 & 4gb (although this is dependent on you - personally, I don't use enough songs on my ipod to fill up the smallest shuffle)

Personally, I just want to shove some music on it, put it on shuffle, hit play and don't worry about it until the end of my exercise. In which case, the "no brainer" is the shuffle, unless you need more space for songs

--
mcoker
Quote Reply
Re: iPod shuffle vs. nano [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got an Otterbox for my Nano, it's waterproof down to something like 3 meters. It's also indestructible.

That was the deciding factor for me between the Shuffle and the Nano. You'll forget it's there when you run with it.
Quote Reply
Re: iPod shuffle vs. nano [hugh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What headphones are you using with the Otterbox? I looked into getting this for the Mini but I couldn't find any reasonably priced headphones.
Quote Reply
Re: iPod shuffle vs. nano [fishymom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The earbuds that come with the iPod will plug into the external jack on the Otterbox. The Otterbox has a passthrough plug that plugs into the iPod itself. Any headphones that work with the iPod will plug into the Otterbox.

I was a little skeptical about running with the earbuds but It has worked well. I use the belt clip on the Otterbox the clip it to the back of my running shorts, then run the earbuds cable up my back, loop it through the back of my hat, and then into the ears. The hat absorbs any tugging on the cord and the buds stay put.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both the nano and the shuffle.

I like both. They're both light, long battery life, etc. Nano I like a little better because of the screen and the extra capacity. Plus I can vary playlists. I don't worry about sweat because I usually shove it in my fuel belt pocket or another pocket.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. If price is an issue, probably best just to go with the Shuffle, but if you only want 1 iPod for all uses Nano will be better.

Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't buy either. Learn to train without the mental crutch music offers. It is my experience that people who train with music more or less come to depend on it to get through hard sessions, which, I think, makes the athlete weak. Training with no music builds mental fortitude. Forgo the music.

Also, in my opinion, riding with music is just about the stupidest thing a cyclist can do. Cyclists are already at a huge disadvantage on the road - not as fast as cars, can't stop as fast as cars, not as visible as cars, not as heavy as cars, not as respected as much as cars (the list goes on and on), and I think it is extremely foolish to remove on of the only senses - i.e. hearing - cyclists have to protect themselves. Without hearing, cyclists are totally defensless on the road. When we are already at such a huge disadvantage in terms of safety, it doesn't make sense to make ourselves deaf to cars as well.

And yes, I am prepared to get flamed for my opinions. I should go get some marshmellows for the ensuing flame . . .

Proud Member of the Cervelo Mafia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
since you mention wishing to shake things up . . . you might wish to consider the new pioneer inno XM radio/mp3 unit.

about the size of a nano, it is actually a live XM satellite radio, or it can record/manage 50 hours of XM programming - OR, it can function exactly like a nano as an mp3 player - only instead of you having to pick the songs you can pick your favorites and have the device record genre=specific XM content in to keep it fresh. in addition, if you are listening to the sat-rad and hear a new song you like you push a button, and next time you plug it in to charge the device adds the song to your playlist ( purchases it from the new napster ).

plus, you can mount it at home, where it beams its signal to any nearby FM stereo. or, plug into you car to do the same thing.

the thing just kicks ass. as they say, it's not a pod, it's the mothership.

http://www.myradiostore.us/...no-xm-radio-mp3.html
Last edited by: t-t-n: Apr 13, 06 19:29
Quote Reply
Re: iPod shuffle vs. nano [zone2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, it makes training less monotonous. I have no problem at all come race day, "depending" on my ipod. Actually, sometimes I get songs stuck in my head on race day, since I hear them so often in training. Which is great! But usually just the rush/adrenaline of being in the race keeps my mind occupied, and music helps that on my training rides.

I agree about the hearing thing. It also kinda sucks you in and you pay a little less attention to your surroundings. I actually try to keep the volume down for that reason, and just always remind myself to be extra cautious when I ride, especially because I'm listening to music. It's a trade-off I'm willing to accept, to some people it's not.

--
mcoker
Quote Reply
Re: iPod shuffle vs. nano [zone2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote] Don't buy either. Learn to train without the mental crutch music offers.
I think it is extremely foolish to remove on of the only senses - i.e. hearing - cyclists have to protect themselves.[/quote]

No flaming here, I agree with you.... though I don't always follow these rules.

When I'm just building up base in the early season sometimes I'll listen to music just to pass the time, on those long slow runs. As I start picking up the pace over the course of the my training, I ditch the music because it breaks my focus on form and keeping the cadence up.

As for the music and biking... some days 5+ hours in the middle of nowhere can get a little monotonous... then right ear only and volume really low... so I can just barely hear it.... like the voices in my head. But again it is gone by mid-season.

I guess it takes my mind of the fact that I'm figgin cold in the early season (Hawaii made me soft).

--
"Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside a dog it is too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

for athletes http://athleticlog.org/
for nerds http://rogercortesi.com/eqn/
Quote Reply
Re: iPod shuffle vs. nano [rcortesi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus, maybe I am a romantic or something, but there is something very pure and liberating just being out in the world. I feel like we have enough noise everywhere in culture, and training is one of the last places to escape it.

Proud Member of the Cervelo Mafia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's another thought. I've heard people complain that the IPod Mini's battery is different than the Shuffle and when you go out in cold weather, the battery (on the iPod mini) doesn't hold up like the shuffle does and or there is a skipping problem with the Mini but not the Shuffle. Has anyone else heard of this? So I would gather this would be an issue for outdoor running if you live in a cold climate.

I have a shuffle. I use it not for running or out on my bike but for Computrainer riding so I can zone out all of the other distractions in the house, cat, phone, husband :)

It's perfect.

In Reply To:
I have both the nano and the shuffle.

I like both. They're both light, long battery life, etc. Nano I like a little better because of the screen and the extra capacity. Plus I can vary playlists. I don't worry about sweat because I usually shove it in my fuel belt pocket or another pocket.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. If price is an issue, probably best just to go with the Shuffle, but if you only want 1 iPod for all uses Nano will be better.

Sam

(IMHO) How has Apple done this to us? Why the obsession with IPOD. Why multiple IPODs??? There are tons of good MP3 players out there. Do you take your cell phone on rides/runs for safety? I've been using my Treo for a couple of years now for music/audio books. Why do we need more than one device?

http://www.palm.com/...roducts/smartphones/
Last edited by: immyfish: Apr 14, 06 8:03
Quote Reply
Re: iPod shuffle vs. nano [Trigirlpink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think that the mini has a different battery chemistry than the shuffle or the nano. For outdoor cold weather use, it's probably a good idea to tuck any mp3 player closer to your body to keep it warmer.

As far as the skipping issue, the mini was prone to skipping because it used a hard disk for storage. The shuffle and the nano use Flash memory which has no moving parts, so they literally cannot skip unless the music file itself is corrupted.
Quote Reply
Re: iPod shuffle vs. nano [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for clearing that up.