Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Road Bike Shoe Makers: Who on earth are you drilling holes for under your soles ??? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And this is not caused by long, prehensile toes? :) I have one big toe that is significantly smaller than the other; so much so that I once bought a pair of shoes as a kid and then couldn't understand why they didn't fit the next day. My mom lined me up on the wall and we discovered one foot was half a size smaller, thanks to the small toe. Shoe sizing has never been fun.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: Road Bike Shoe Makers: Who on earth are you drilling holes for under your soles ??? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you. I use Shimano shoes and have thought exactly the same thing. I also have had achilles issues and have moved cleats back as far as they go. Big change for me recently was to lower my seat 1 cm. I read a thread over or Gordoworld about seat being too high causing calf and achilles problems. AC posted that when you lower your seat your knee angle will not change as you pedal. Instead, you'll lower your heel to adjust and this will help your calves and achilles. The lower seat seemed to help me as I started back a few months ago.

Thought I had it figured out until recently when I was fitted for new road bike: (a) the fitter said that my preferred seat height (what I've been using) was ok, but at bottom end of range and (b) my cleats were too far back. He identified the ball of my foot as wide area right behind my toes -- how to describe it ... when you are standing, lift your heel on one foot so you are on your toes, then lift your toes. The area you are now standing on is what the fitter told me was the ball of my foot. He told me this area should be right over pedal axle. He suggested that having my cleats too far back might have caused my calf problems. Go figure.

Of course we are fools for trying to figure this out here instead of going to a professional fitter and following their advice. ;)

Harri

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd guess there's one major reason why the holes are where they are:the CPSC.

Either there IS a regulation regarding the placement of the cleat/bolts, or they're afraid of voilolating the existing precepts regarding pedal overlap.

FWIW, I have Shimano Shoes/DA Pedals, and if the bolts were any farther back, I'd have a significant amount of overlap (also, the cleat is slightly BEHIND the ball of my foot--so maybe it's an issue of different folks having differently proportioned feet??).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had trouble with PF from bike shoes.
I now use egg beaters which use 2 screw SPD like cleats.
Slamed way back on the shoe.
I now have happy feet . ;-)

Good luck and happy Easter to all .
Thom
My shoes have 2 sets of holes .
I use the rear holes.
Last edited by: cheyou: Apr 13, 06 16:41
Quote Reply

Prev Next