Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone riding Blackwell 100's yet??
Quote | Reply
Just curious......looking a possibly getting a set......when they are available...

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone riding Blackwell 100's yet?? [Bladed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious why you would get a set. I mean anyone considering a 100mm front wheel is obviously looking for the best aerodynamics, all other factors be damned (and rightly so in my opinion), but why then would you not want a disk for no-compromise aerodynamics on the rear?

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone riding Blackwell 100's yet?? [Justin in OK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Price.......and the front wheel is the most important of the two anyway...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"but why then would you not want a disk for no-compromise aerodynamics on the rear?"

maybe for a PT?

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone riding Blackwell 100's yet?? [Mito Chondria] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A PT hub would make sense.

Price: That would surprise me. I guess the Blackwell 100 is a lot cheaper than I realized, cuz I would have figured a Renn disk would have been much less.

Cool races:
- Redman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What realistically is the use for this wheelset? As someone mentioned, on the back, if you are getting the 100's you might as well get a disc or PT w/ wheel cover. On the front, is something like 100 even usable realistically. Many don't even like 808 on the front, how does a 100 compare. ANy thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone riding Blackwell 100's yet?? [moose8500] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People MUCH faster than me would probably say for a rear wheel at hawaii. People who are fast also tend to have a lot of wheels so I'm sure that if the conditions were right they would go for the advantage of the 100 on front. I can't imagine they would be worse in front than the h3, certainly not the deep rimmed version lance used last year in the tour.

Dan
www.aiatriathlon.com

http://www.aiatriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have an 80-100mm so I can't answer...

That said I live in a really windy place and several of the fast riders around here use an 808 and Hed Stinger 90. Someone with good bike handling and a little confidence shouldn't be concerned about the difference in handling between a deep section wheel and a standard rim. What seems to be overlooked is that your BODY is creating most of the surface area for a cross-wind and even a standard rim will have handling problems if the conditions are strong enough. It isn't realistic to think that on windy day a deep section wheel will have handling issues, but a normal section wheel will miraculously handle fine. The difference just isn't going to be that great and add the fact that a deep section is more of a benefit in a crosswind than winds directly in front/behind it is worth someone's while to get better handling skills and greater confidence on the bike to take care advantage of the benefits.

Cool races:
- Redman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
808's are not a problem for me in cross winds and they are VERY good wheels..I rode them last year....I prefer a spoked rear wheel for the comfort and handling......a disc can be pretty harsh (stiff) over the long haul.
A RENN disc and something else up front......my be economical and a good set up......I just don't like the look.....mixing brands that is.....

Last edited by: Bladed: Apr 13, 06 3:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
disc in front? How could you use a disc in front? Wouldn't turning be extremely trecharous. I have never thought about your proposed idea of a deep rear and front disc, certainly unorthodox....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a disc in front, however it really did not work out. It is like flying a kite.

Scott Godfrey's take:

And a Hooker:

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone riding Blackwell 100's yet?? [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is anything like that really possible to WORK? How did it feel, something that deep? I bet turning control was pretty horrible. THe only other time I remember seeing a double disc was in Rasmussens TT of doom...
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone riding Blackwell 100's yet?? [gtingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great Bikes!

...and I love your licence plate!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone riding Blackwell 100's yet?? [bpq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is Scott's Lotus (and car)

I drive a soviet milk truck :)
Quote Reply