Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMAZ Volunteer Perspective and Why is There Always One Jerk? [MileHiSunshine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last year I DQ'ed an athlete for being abusive to
fellow competitors as well as an volunteer. With that
you bet I DQ'ed that person and will do it again.

It is in the rule that athletes can not be abusive to
race staff & volunteers.

VOLUNTEERS no matter which way we look at it are
what makes the sport what it is. If we did not have volunteers at the races.........we would not be racing.
Every race I always give volunteers a "THANK YOU"
for all they do. They spend alot of time on the course
and more than we do, for the love of the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Volunteer Perspective and Why is There Always One Jerk? [Hinds57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>> Or that they now wanted a different shirt then the size they signed up for on their registration form. We attempted to explain that if we gave them a different size shirt then somebody else would get the wrong size, most didn’t care. <<

ARGH! Like the dude who took the LAST medium Kona finisher's shirt right in front of me and told the lady he wanted that one, not the the large he'd put down. I now have a Kona finishers dress.

Yes, volunteering can be very eye opening. Most people are great and very appreciative, but there is a group who feel that the rules don't apply to them or that they are doing you a favor for racing. Happens every year at Alcatraz. But like Dave said, then there are the really, really cool folks and that makes it all worthwhile.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ Volunteer Perspective and Why is There Always One Jerk? [MileHiSunshine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just remember you reap what you sow- you were selfless in volunteering, he was selfish in attitude, somehow it will all work out in the end (still sucks that it happens).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't done an Ironman distance race yet so I have not dealt with volunteers who are working for that many hours but even in the shortest race I do I try to acknowledge the volunteers. I will either give a "thanks" or at least a thumbs up to as many as possible during a race, no matter how hard I am racing. It's a small gesture that goes a long way in life.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey, Thanks!!!

For cheering and for doing a great job as a volunteer.

I did miss my special needs bag, but i never have anything special on those :D

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next