Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo seat noises: clicking and clacking?
Quote | Reply
Maybe someone else has had a similar issue:

Have an anodized soloist with aluminum aero seat post in forward position, but when I am climbing or going hard some part of the seat or seat post assembly makes a weird clicking noise.

I've tried two seats, adjusting rail clamps (tighter and looser), tried tightening the set screw that adjusts horizontal angle, as well as the clamp screw to hold the seat at the right height.

I've though about putting some grease on the rails - good idea? Although I can't quite figure out from what part of the saddle assembly the noise is coming from.

Please help, it is driving me nuts!!!!

John Heiss
PhD Biochemistry, UCLA
Founder, Prolong Energy
http://www.prolongenergy.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo seat noises: clicking and clacking? [jkh2828] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grease everything and retighten.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a similar situation with my Cervelo, "but when I am climbing or going hard some part of the seat or seat post assembly makes a weird clicking noise." Ah! But it wasn't the seat or post - it was a cleat on one of my shoes! Only when climbing or mashing hard. Check to see that your cleats are tight.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo seat noises: clicking and clacking? [Bigfuzzydoug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I stand it goes away. Bumps while sitting makes the noise, bumps while standing or little weight on seat - no noise.

I can make the noise by pushing on the seat with my hands.

I agree though, lots of noises are cleats / pedals etc.

John Heiss
PhD Biochemistry, UCLA
Founder, Prolong Energy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mine's driving me nuts too, but my situation is different - mine gets worse when i stand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Maybe someone else has had a similar issue:

Have an anodized soloist with aluminum aero seat post in forward position, but when I am climbing or going hard some part of the seat or seat post assembly makes a weird clicking noise.

I've tried two seats, adjusting rail clamps (tighter and looser), tried tightening the set screw that adjusts horizontal angle, as well as the clamp screw to hold the seat at the right height.

I've though about putting some grease on the rails - good idea? Although I can't quite figure out from what part of the saddle assembly the noise is coming from.

Please help, it is driving me nuts!!!!

Pull the seatpost out and check the inside of the seattube. Where the top tube is welded into the seattube, it's a common problem on the Al Soloists for there to be weld "blow-through" which will result in high spots on the inside of the front edge of the seattube bore. Feel down there with your finger. If you feel any bumps or raised areas, grab a round file and file them down. Grease the post up well and reinsert (making sure your brass shim is in place too!)

Hope that helps.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's almost certainly the seatpost, they need greasing every now and then. Even when new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do a search there has been a few threads on this issue, could be a few things. I had two cervelos so very experienced with the seat post head. Aside from the seat post itself is to make sure you dont over tighten one bolt before doing the other (bolt/nut) and dont over tighten either. So take the seat off, lube the bolts and nut, replace but this time use even amount of turns of the bolt and nut (at least to begin with)

Re: Cervelo seat noises: clicking and clacking? [SimpleS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least on mine there is an angle adjustment thumb screw and a tightening screw on the front. So there isn't 2 screws to tighten evenly.

Also - this seems like such and issue - why hasn't cervelo fixed the problem? This is a 2006. Some say seat tube / welding blow-through, others say seat clamps etc.

How hard is it to make clamps that fit rails correctly? Or adjust welding or pre-file any bumps at the factory?

That is a great idea though about checking for burrs inside the seat tube.

ps - my seat post is well greased.

Thanks

John Heiss
PhD Biochemistry, UCLA
Founder, Prolong Energy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
At least on mine there is an angle adjustment thumb screw and a tightening screw on the front. So there isn't 2 screws to tighten evenly.

Sorry I mean the adjustment thumb screw and the bolt need to be adjusted so that one is not over tightened in relation to the other, at least at the outset.

If Cervelo made two seat bolt heads one forward one rear with a simpler clamping mechanism it would make it easier (they do have a road only version that works with the soloist and tri bikes). However, once you get it dialled in there is usually little need to mess with it, that has been my experience anyway .

Quote | Reply
Simple S...where do you get this other head for the Cervelo Seatposts. When used in the "forward position" my saddle is slammed all the way back on my P3, but when I have it in the rearward position, my saddle is slammed all the way forward. I am right on the border line between the two options. I'd prefer a zero offset so that I can have the clamp pretty well in the middle of the rails and then tweak without having to flip the whole head.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo seat noises: clicking and clacking? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
get in touch with cervelo, Gerard mentioned it a while back and I saw one on a Soloist Carbon recently. But I dont think its going to give you a different position that what you have with your current one facing backwards.

Quote | Reply
I had the same problem on my p2k. The rattling I had was where the screw that holds the post in the forward position has a washer behind it. The screw completly tightened to the post but did not seat the washer against the post. I took the screw out and took the washer off and put the screw back in. No problems ever since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GREASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the probelm on my Dual and now my team soloist. Although the soloist the squeek came back after 3 rides.

Pete

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply