Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubular Question
Quote | Reply
I recently purchased a set of Zipp 909 Tubies. I have never ridden tubies before, does anyone have any suggestions for a good tire, that would work well with my Zipps??

Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Question [Colossal Quads] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Continental Competition - I like the 22's but they come in 19's if you can find them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's another recommendation for Continental Competition 22's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will put in another Conti Comp vote BUT only the 2006 vectran versions. Roll better, lighter, and more comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another Conti Comp 22 vote.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh no, here we go!

Anyway - as other's have suggested, you can't go wrong with the Continental Competition GP's. They are the gold standard for tubular tires the are generally available to everyone.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp wheels need Zipp tyres (haha, that's how the Brits say it!)

I also like the Conti Comps, but the Zipps are on par. And make sure to get the black backing! Sexy as hell on race wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Question [astrotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I weigh 149 lbs. I am in the market for tubulars. Would I benefit from 19MM vs. 22MM?

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you buy into some rolling resistance tests that have recently been published, you may want someting like from Veloflex or Vittoria. I'm fairly new to tubulars but from my VERY limited experience I prefer my current set of Veloflex Carbons to the Continental Sprinters that I started with (much easier to glue on straight & they just feel better).
Last edited by: BK: Apr 11, 06 15:26
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Question [veryoriginal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what's the best way to learn to change em?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please, please do a search of the site for this topic.

There are probably a hundred pages of forum ramblings on the topic in the archives, and a wealth of over-heated hyperbole - some of it coming from my keyboard.

I'm trying really, really hard to excercise some self restraint...

(anybody want to buy some Conti tires?)

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vittoria Corsa Evo CX. I ride these on my 808's and run the 'open' version on my clincher wheels. These tires are as supple as 18yo ass and ride just as good :).

As a matter of fact, both of my bikes have Vittoria's on them...

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike R

Software Engineer and Mac geek
Aspiring to be front-middle-of-the-pack in 2010.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got my Conti Competitions from Biketiresdirect. I hope they're as good as everyone says.

All they had were 650's

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your Zipps are 2004 or later I would suggest going with 21 or 22mm tubulars as the wheels are designed to work aerodynamically with a wider tire than a 19 and it gives a better ride.

KR
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Question [flying wombat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a punkture in my last race with my set of Vittorias: Have any of you tried fixing one of these? I know: Just eat the bullet and buy a new tubular ;-) But I only had 10 min. on it before the punkture :-(

So I would like to have a go at fixing it. The tubes in Vittorias are latex - anybody with a good link to a site with an "how to" guide - or something similar. It would be nice with some pictures of the proces too.

I know that this was "everyday" work back in the old days when everyone was riding tubies - so somebody got to have a lot of experience fixing tubulars?
Quote Reply
Re: Tubular Question [Lars Ejaas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lars try this:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/.../tubular-repair.html

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the Conti Comps with success. I really liked the VeloFlex Carbons, but they are no longer being distributed in Canada :-(

I raced with the Ritchey WCS tubulars for most of last year & they were great as well, but much less $$$$. I suspect they are rebadged Vittorias, anybody know for sure?

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply