Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

CTS trains triathletes?
Quote | Reply
I have a buddy who uses Carmichael coaches for triathlon training. He went to their multisport camp last year and said it was the best four days of tri-training he has had. Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: CTS trains triathletes? [sladley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard the same thing. Though I haven't actually attended one of their camps yet. I'm planning to go to one in May. I already use their base level coaching package which is very affordable and worth every penny out of my pocket. This company, in my opion, is world class for a reason. I'm sold.
Quote Reply
Re: CTS trains triathletes? [fastncrash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting that you both just registered on ST and have only posted to pimp Carmichael. Could just be a coincidence.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: CTS trains triathletes? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the ST police! And hey, the second guy did register yesterday. I mean, "he" waited 24 hours to give that ringing endorsement.

http://www.churchofcycling.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Heres the problem with CTS and most online coaching systems....

1- its not really coaching but would be better described as workout planning.

2- there is no personal interaction from the coach.....Is a CTS coach (or any coach thats not a local one) going to go to your key events to give advice?

3- How does the CTS coach know what training plan is best for you? Will they fly to PHX to do a prelim. eval for me to check what shape I am in and come back to PHX once a month to re-evel my fitiness and make suggesstions on training changes?

4- What if I have a bad swim stroke? Does CTS fix that for me or simply try to sell me on a training camp?

I guess I could go on for hours and I am sure there are some benifits to having an "online coach", I just have yet to figure out what those benefits are.

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
Quote Reply
Re: CTS trains triathletes? [k-factorfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't coach for CTS, but I coach athletes both locally in Boulder and across the U.S. I bet that the CTS coaches would go to PHX to see you if you were willing to pay their way... I would be! And sometimes online/phone coaching is exactly what an athlete needs, sometimes it isn't. It is up to the athlete to make that determination for themselves.

Geoffrey Nenninger
Quote Reply
Re: CTS trains triathletes? [GDNenn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I def. did not mean for that rant to be an insult to all coaches, online or otherwise, but my points still stand. I used CTS for a spell and it was impossible to get them on the phone much less answer an email or anything of that sort....I can only imagine trying to get them to fly to PHX for an eval.

Basically what I was tryng to get across is that an athletes current fitiness should and does play alot into what workouts a coach should be recc. without thsi knowledge and followup fitiness evels, I don't understand how one can "coach"...maybe I view coaching and workout planning different than others do.

"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm glad everyone has some feedback on CTs, but I only got one response to the camp question? It's not online and it is physically with coaches so.......there wouldn't be a question about them picking up the phone or anything right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I have been around ST for awhile, haven't been posting lately, but I've been around.

I love CTS, and my coach is great. I have the middle of the road $99 a month plan and it has worked out well for me. Although my coach hasn't visited me, we talk via phone and email continously allowing him to tweek my training. I can't speak highly enough about the service I ahve recieved from CTS and Matt Horton (my coach)!

Sorry. haven't been to a camp yet... but I will be soon :)

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten." - (John) Calvin Coolidge
Quote Reply
Re: CTS trains triathletes? [KLinggi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No police. Just looks funny.

To the OP: What does your friend like about the camps? Details would be nice. For example, I hear the Multisport.com camps are great--lots of good information, generally a nice mix of people, the chance to swim/ride/run with pro triathletes, plus you are pretty much guaranteed a few laughs from Roch and Huddle.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: CTS trains triathletes? [wasabi06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In this thread http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...earch_string;#781182 you make sound as if you are already coached by them.......... Strange.

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Here's the problem with... online coaching systems"

it appears to me that there are two types of coaching. first, there's the generation of workouts, what to do, what not to do, what signs to look for re overtraining, peaking, etc.

then there's technique coaching. that's entirely different. how to descend on a bike, how just to ride a bike, specifically while in the aero position. how to swim properly. how to run properly. how to properly ride in a group ride. how to flip turn. all of that.

obviously, you can't do the latter if you're online. but you can at camps. i mean, how often are you going to be available, as an end-user, for such technique-specific workouts?

so, i would think that the perfect blend is for a coach to host technique camps, and then do the workout session monitoring online. that maximizes everyone's time, end-users included.

i can't speak to what CTS does with specificity, that is, if they employ the methodology i outline. what i WOULD say is that there aren't a lot of people that really understand and can teach good tri-specific cycling technique, not many who can teach good running technique, and i don't think there are many coaches around who do take the time to fasttrack a triathlete through troublesome bad swimming habits.

in other words, there are a zillion reasonably good workout monitors in triathlon. not very many good technical coaches. i'd say this is probably the "next big thing" in triathlon coaching. maybe carmichael is the entity to bring the two together, i don't know.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used CTS to help me train for my first IM. My goal was to finish under 13 hours. My finish time for IMAZ was 11:13:53, and it's thanks to CTS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more. "
Quote Reply
Re: CTS trains triathletes? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate everyones input and this did not start out as a bash on CTS. I am sure they help thousands of people....just not me and I did not have a great experience with them......that said, slowman brings up a very good point in the next wave of tri-coaching

Steve Irwin
Quote Reply
Re: CTS trains triathletes? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He just said you get pretty pampered with mechanic support and powerbar stuff and bottles always ready and all that junk. Underwater filming for swimming, lots of time on transitions and brick drills. I was wondering if the training would be killer and just driving me in the ground, or if I'd leave with a lot more tips and good advice to really improve multisport times and techniques? Suppose I could just go to him more, considering all the different directions this post has gone?
Quote Reply
Re: CTS trains triathletes? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For most online triathlon coaches, being away from their athletes is a blessing, since they don't have to be "tested" out on the field, either giving swim instruction on deck, on the bike or on the run. One thing is to write up workouts and articles, another is to be out there giving instruction.
Quote Reply
Re: CTS trains triathletes? [wasabi06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Underwater filming for swimming would be great!

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: CTS trains triathletes? [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo & Dan have this one nailed ... one thing to be a plan writer, it's another to be a coach & teacher that puts planning and instruction together.

Good stuff guys ...

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used CTS a few years ago, and never had a problem reaching my coach, in fact she often called me just to check in and see how a ride went a few hours after I finished it. I don't know what level of coaching you subscribed to, but there is probably a difference in the level of interaction (beyond the basic alloted stuff) as you move up the scale.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply