Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommendation for Torque wrench?
Quote | Reply
Looking specifically for a torque wrench (hex compatible) for my P3C seat post. Preferrably one that measures in Nm so I can be lazy and don't have to do conversion. Recommendations??

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for Torque wrench? [jnielsen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Syntace and IBM both do them, given the threads on Syntace's customer service and the fact that Syntace US post here I would suggest you go with theirs.

Torque Tool
1-20 The Tool For the Modern Mechanic

Precision parts require precision assembly. Don’t guess—use the Syntace Torque Tool 1-20 to ensure proper assembly of your bike’s critical components. Adjustment button with dual scale. After two years you may adjust your Syntace Torque tool at Syntace. Accessories Allen Bit-Kit Weight 385 g Length 220 mm Square Size 1/4" Measuring Range 1-20 Nm Precision +/- 4% Color Matte Chrome Plated Price (GER): 114,80 €
Bicycle-Specific Design Highly accurate, and with a range of 1-20 Nm, the Torque Tool 1-20 can be employed for nearly all critical fasteners on your bike.
Dual-Scale Accuracy

For convenience, the Torque Tool 1-20 features a dual scale for Newton-meters and pound-inches.
Industrial Quality Each Torque Tool comes with a calibration certificate, and is guaranteed to be +/- 4% accuracy.
Easy Adjustment Simply preselect the torque by rotating the adjusting knob via its swing-out lever, and the Torque Tool gives perfect torque readings..
Durable Precision The fine-tooth ratchet is low-friction, durable and precise. And the left/right ratchet selector is easy to manipulate, even with gloves on.
Compact Accuracy Just 220mm long—almost pocket-size. With 1/4” drive, to fit standard sockets.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John,

Go to Sears for a torque wrench and a set of metric socket Allen's. Probably about $50 for the wrench and $15-20 for the Allen's.

Good idea, as 4nm in stupid light.

----------------

Rich Strauss
Endurance Nation Ironman 2013 and 2014 World Champion TriClub, Div I
Create a FREE 7-day trial membership
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Syntace. I'm pretty sure it's just rebranded but it works well and you can buy all the necessary bits from them in a little package. You can order directly from them or give us a call and we can have one sent to you too.

-Darrell

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Sears, especially if you are patient and wait for a sale.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would recommend against any of the fancy rotary ones. The accuracy of those is suspect out of the box and is only guaranteed for one year typically - you have to send it back for periodic calibration. Park tool sells a high and low torque application beam torque wrench, although for the high torque application one could simply use the one that most people use for cars if it has a metric scale.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for Torque wrench? [Rich Strauss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did exactly that a couple weeks ago. I think it was $46 for both with tax.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for Torque wrench? [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you say rotary type are speaking of a wrench with a dial indicator? The reason I ask is I find the dial indicating torque wrenchs are available in the lower torque ranges need for many bike fasteners and because they usually include a "follower" needle, you can be sure with good confidence, just how much torque was applied. They are usually guaranteed to something like 50,000 force applications before needing a recalibration (as long as you take reasonable care of it that is).

The dial type are more expensive (like over $100) but they are what we always had in the shops I worked in.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for Torque wrench? [tim-mech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant the ones Sears sells as Digitork? with the handle taking a setting as described here:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/torque-wrench/

http://www.velonews.com/tech/report/articles/7343.0.html
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for Torque wrench? [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Julian...gotta call you out. I think it is ITM correct?

Kurt

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for Torque wrench? [trukweaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Julian....gotta call you out. I think it is ITM correct?

=========================================

Kurt, the picture above, pasted from the Syntace site, clearly shows the Syntace branding on the scale which is under the plastic handle thus making it a Syntace model. However, I have the same wrench with an ITM sticker placed on the shaft of the wrench which could easily be removed.

I would say that this is a Syntace and that is an ITM. Truth be told they are probably made by the same company and relabelled depending on the destination. Given the more permanent nature of the Syntace branding I would be inclined to give it to them.

However, we are both correct, technically.

Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for Torque wrench? [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope, I mean you called it a iBm branded wrench...I think they stick with software and the like.

Kurt

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really a beam type is the most accurate of the cheapies . The clicker type as shown in the photos have a limited range, you end up needing 2 -3 wrenches for a bikes torque needs. Wrenches in the newton meters scale are harder to find in the U.S. . The 1/4" drive models are also difficult to find , between 60 -$110 US , Sears -Enco tools - Harbor freight ( cheapo ) ,,,, Ebay , with snap-on tools and proto being high end 150 -$350
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for Torque wrench? [Helitech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So - what is recomended?

I'm confused...and stupid!
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for Torque wrench? [trukweaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope, I mean you called it a iBm branded wrench...I think they stick with software and the like.

=============================================================================

You call people out for typos? Wow, are you gonna be a busy boy! Good job you corrected me, I thought IBM made their money on hardware not software, boy am I dumb.

Quote Reply
Re: Recommendation for Torque wrench? [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy this wrench; your life and/or bike may depend on it.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/torque-wrench/dial-torque-wrench.htm

Precision is the brand we used at my last shop (OK, that was like 16 years ago but they are a leader in the business).

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply