Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Seeking a dentist for podcast guest
Quote | Reply
Hello all. I have a bit of an odd post here but I have run out of options and am hopeful the ST users might help me out. I produce the TriDoc podcast and a couple of my listeners have submitted questions related to oral care that I am simply unqualified to answer (Every time someone presents to the emergency department with a toothache I think to myself 'I don't go to the dentist for a cough...' I digress...)

I am hoping to find a dentist or oral surgeon who is a triathlete that would be interested in doing an interview for the podcast in which we discuss oral issues related to triathlon. Specifically:
  • I have seen some dentists warn against using teeth to tear open gel packs. True? Urban legend?
  • All those sugars we take during an event, do they pose a risk to our teeth and gums in the long run?
  • Does poor oral health impact overall health and potentially have other unexpected health effects?
  • Finally, why is it that in some events, especially longer ones, after consuming a lot of energy drinks the mouth can become sensitive and even painful (think stomatitis) for a period afterwards?

If you are interested please DM me or drop a comment and I will be in touch.

Thanks in advance.

Jeffrey Sankoff, MD
TriDoc Coaching/TriDoc Podcast
Train hard, train healthy
http://www.tridocpodcast.com
http://www.tridoccoaching.com
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking a dentist for podcast guest [tridoc5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forwarded your request to a friend. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forwarded it to a friend that is a Dentist and Triathlete

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
  • Finally, why is it that in some events, especially longer ones, after consuming a lot of energy drinks the mouth can become sensitive and even painful (think stomatitis) for a period afterwards?

As someone that's been venturing into the multiway bike pack racing scene, this is definitely something that comes up often. Would love to hear more discussion about it from a professional.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tridoc5280 wrote:
I am hoping to find a dentist or oral surgeon who is a triathlete

Just look for anyone riding a P5X...?

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't have any bites from the above (pun entirely intended) message user toothengineer (Brendan Loehr). He posts every so often but it looks like has an email listed in his user profile

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be interested in listening to this.

I've started thinking about this especially after switching to table sugar as my sole source of calories on long workouts and races, per advice on ST. I always chase with 4 small mouthfuls of water and swish each time.

My dentist hasn't been impressed at my semi-annual cleanings despite the fact that I eat a healthy diet (few sweets, no sugary drinks), brush twice per day with a Braun electric brush, and floss once per day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you reached out to Kip Litton?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My dentist is a triathlete (Yes, he rides a Cervelo too...) and has made comments about sports drinks and GUs harming teeth on athletes. I try to rinse my mouth out with water as soon as I can, and brush my teeth as soon as I get home to get rid of that stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great idea. I'd like to know the following with regard to oral health:
  • Is there an optimal carb type for reduction in mouth bacteria activity?
  • Does the presence or absence of fiber, fat, or protein change anything, assuming that the amount, type, and frequency of carb is unchanged?
  • Is there something that can easily be added to a beverage to combat bacteria activity, without compromising performance or increasing GI risk? (ie. a small amount of sodium bicarb, or by using entirely sodium citrate instead of NaCl, or some other product)
  • How much does pH of solution matter? If we adjust solution pH from 6.5 to 7.5, is that meaningful? Or do the bacteria just produce enough acid from the sugar alone, to cause 100% of the problems.
  • Assuming we're cool with taking a few extra seconds to swish with water, should we chase with water? Swish?
  • Assuming we're fueling in the neighborhood of 60-130g carbs per hour, is drinking liquid better than chewing something? We're always told not to drink sugary drinks when we visit the dentist, and I've always assumed, in part, this was because the nature of sipping on a coke at your desk is that it creates a prolonged and repeated exposure to sugar. Would the same, worse, or better, happen if we were sitting at our desk munching down skittles? What about rice cakes? Potatoes? Some other easily digestible starch? Is it purely the repeat exposure that is the problem? Or is it repeat exposure only when paired with certain sugars that is the problem?
  • If repeat exposure is the issue, could we attenuate these oral health challenges by reducing fueling frequency to once every 20 minutes, instead of once ever 5-15 minutes, if I've usually been taking that approach? Is it about the total time that the teeth spend exposed to the sugar? Or is there a threshold of frequency above which doesn't matter?
  • Does brushing before training really have an effect?
  • Does flossing before training have an effect?
  • Is there anything else that we can do right before training to kill/disturb the mouth bacteria that responds to the sugars and harms oral health? Mouthwash? Supersonic fandangled such-n-such?

If you get your guest dentist to be very thoughtful about weighing tradeoffs for folks, and not just present general warnings, I'll make this standard viewing for all my clients (and app users)! I understand that to be broadly accurate and capture all truth, a dentist will need to keep their recommendations rather general and opaque, but I hope you'll encourage them to speculate and really scratch at the edges of what's known on this topic.

I always find that to be the most valuable content. This could be very valuable!

No response necessary. Just food for thought! :)

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Last edited by: DrAlexHarrison: Sep 12, 22 11:09
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking a dentist for podcast guest [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
Great idea. I'd like to know the following with regard to oral health:
  • Is there an optimal carb type for reduction in mouth bacteria activity?
  • Does the presence or absence of fiber, fat, or protein change anything, assuming that the amount, type, and frequency of carb is unchanged?
  • Is there something that can easily be added to a beverage to combat bacteria activity, without compromising performance or increasing GI risk? (ie. a small amount of sodium bicarb, or by using entirely sodium citrate instead of NaCl, or some other product)
  • How much does pH of solution matter? If we adjust solution pH from 6.5 to 7.5, is that meaningful? Or do the bacteria just produce enough acid from the sugar alone, to cause 100% of the problems.
  • Assuming we're cool with taking a few extra seconds to swish with water, should we chase with water? Swish?
  • Assuming we're fueling in the neighborhood of 60-130g carbs per hour, is drinking liquid better than chewing something? We're always told not to drink sugary drinks when we visit the dentist, and I've always assumed, in part, this was because the nature of sipping on a coke at your desk is that it creates a prolonged and repeated exposure to sugar. Would the same, worse, or better, happen if we were sitting at our desk munching down skittles? What about rice cakes? Potatoes? Some other easily digestible starch? Is it purely the repeat exposure that is the problem? Or is it repeat exposure only when paired with certain sugars that is the problem?
  • If repeat exposure is the issue, could we attenuate these oral health challenges by reducing fueling frequency to once every 20 minutes, instead of once ever 5-15 minutes, if I've usually been taking that approach? Is it about the total time that the teeth
  • Does brushing before training really have an effect?
  • Does flossing before training have an effect?
  • Is there anything else that we can do right before training to kill/disturb the mouth bacteria that responds to the sugars and harms oral health? Mouthwash? Supersonic fandangled such-n-such?

If you get your guest dentist to be very thoughtful about weighing tradeoffs for folks, and not just present general warnings, I'll make this standard viewing for all my clients (and app users)! I understand that to be broadly accurate and capture all truth, a dentist will need to keep their recommendations rather general and opaque, but I hope you'll encourage them to speculate and really scratch at the edges of what's known on this topic.

I always find that to be the most valuable content. This could be very valuable!

No response necessary. Just food for thought! :)
I am always impressed by your level of knowledge and inquisitiveness, if that’s a word, as it relates to endurance sport <not pink>
Quote Reply
Re: Seeking a dentist for podcast guest [Dinsky11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If there is one thing I am at least slightly above average at, it is questioning everything.

Usually leads to reinventing the wheel.

Sometimes it leads to breaking new ground.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply