Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My Ironman Arizona
Quote | Reply
I arrived at the Laveen High Performance Training Center (my home for the next 5 days) to high winds and rain! Not at all what the weatherman had been calling for. Thursday morning went for a nice easy swim in Tempe Town Lake. The water was perfect for a wetsuit swim. Friday morning I met up with the 'twitch crew (after the pic). Nice to put some faces to the names. Skipped the carb dinner and opted for the pasta at Brians (briantryintri) house...thanks for the invite! Saturday, after a short easy swim in the lake, was spent relaxing and taking my gear to the site. Then it was to bed at 8:30!

Sunday began at 4:30 with my alarm going off. I drank 2 bottles of Boost and ate 3 pieces of toast with honey. Drank a bottle of Gatorade on the way to the race. I was one of the first people in the water. No big deal. Gave me a bit of time to warm up. I lined up near the front towards the outside. The cannon went off and the flurry began. I was stuck in the middle of a flailing group for longer than I wanted. About 1000 meters into the swim it started to sort out and got less congested. The sun was low and reflecting off the water making it hard to see anything. The water was pretty smooth, only a light chop. My swim went great. Exited the water in 1:03:22, 5 minutes faster than last year. I was off to a good start. Got through transition fairly smoothly without any problems. Had to grab my bike...all the volunteers were busy. No big deal, my spot on the rack was just inside the gate and had easy access. Once on my bike all was going well. I kept an even pace early on so not to be baked on the last lap. My computer decided it didn't want to work so I just focused on an even pace by feel. The first lap I felt great. I was getting in lots of fluids, and my bottle full of carbs (10 scoops of CarboPro, 1 scoop of Gatorade in a large bottle). The wind started picking on the second lap. Pickd up my second bottle of carbs (same as the first one) at the special needs bags. The third loop the wind picked up some more but no were as bad as last year. I took in 4 Sucseed tabs and finished of most of my carb mix along with a lot of water and gatorade. With about 15 miles left in the ride I started to get cramping in my legs. Continued on to the transition. Bike time 5:36:45 (20 minutes faster than last year). Enterd the transition and took my time. My legs cramped up as I was trying to put my shoes on. I took the time to stretch and rub my legs down a little. I then headed out on the run. I felt pretty good. It was a little bit overcast which kept the sun from beating on us. I enjoyed the 3 lap course. With the exception of one long mile on the back side of the course there were plenty of spectator cheering. Seaton from TriSports.com was doing a fantastic job at aid station 4 on the mic announcing EVERYONE as they ran through on each lap, possibly out doing Mike Riley! Thanks Seaton it helped keep me going. My wife, and friends Joe and Lance were on the other side of the course to keep me moving. Constant reminders to keep my form! Thanks for making the trip guys. Tons of unknown people along the way kept my legs turning over. Putting names on bib numbers is the best idea ever (are you listening RD's). It great haveing everyone call you by name when they cheer instead of being a number. The first two laps went well. I placed ice cold sponges in my shirt at every aid staition to keep my cool. The begining of the 3rd lap I caught a friend and ran with him for a few miles. It helped to take my mind off the pain that was radiating from my legs. Oh yeah, I forgot about the rock in my shoe that found its way under the ball of my foot for the entire run. I just blanked it out and kept on running! I guess it didn't hurt any more than my legs. With 11K to go I let it go and gave it all I had left. The legs were hurting but I just kept thinking about my form. The miles clicked down and I looked forward to seeing those final mile markers passing by. After alot of Gu, Gatorade, water and Succeed tabs the last aid station came into view. I took another Succeed and downed a cup of ice cold Coke. The final mile went by in a blur (a slow blur). I rounded the final corner and was running down the blue carpet. Run time was 3:53, 46 minutes faster than last year. The clock said 10:43:31. Almost an hour and 15 minutes faster than last year. A new PR on my 11th Ironman! Stopping at the end turned out to be quite painfull....both legs turned to gel and then tigtened up making walking almost impossible!

Thank you Brian (Desert Dude) for the guidance! The training made the difference!

--

B.Oliver -My Blog...triguywithavx.wordpress.com
Powered by:
-accelerate3.com coaching-
-**TriSports.com Save 20% Message me for one time use code {restrictions apply...see site)
Last edited by: 115InTheShade: Apr 10, 06 20:16
Quote Reply
Re: My Ironman Arizona [115InTheShade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well Done Sir!

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nicely written, and nice IM! congratulations ... a marathon with a rock in your shoes ... you should change your screenname to 'rockinshoe'.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good job. congrats
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the new PR! Great report.

Aloha,

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats, Billy! You had a tremendous day! It was great meeting you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice job, but why didn't you take the rock out of your shoe? Did you have a sore on the bottom of your foot at the end?

Congratulations on your PR!! 11 IM's; I can't even imagine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a huge PB , great report thanks , well done mate !

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Re: My Ironman Arizona [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Nice job, but why didn't you take the rock out of your shoe? Did you have a sore on the bottom of your foot at the end?

Congratulations on your PR!! 11 IM's; I can't even imagine...

I thought about it ...but I guess it just didn't hurt any worse than anything else! No sore!

Thanks everyone! It was a great day out there.

B.Oliver -My Blog...triguywithavx.wordpress.com