Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Swimming, "High elbow"? [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the endurance workout that I was given to do by some very good IM swimmers. 1000m w/u: 400m RI :15sec, 4x100m RI :10sec, 4x50m RI :10sec Main set 5x400m descending RI :15 sec then c/d.

http://bigisland-will.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming, "High elbow"? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ken, i agree that raw power isn't the issue, but where and how to apply the power is the issue. i think one of the best thigns triathletes can do for their swim stroke is use paddles and take off all teh rubber cords used to hold the paddles on except for the one over teh middle finger. if there are major to medium stroke flaws, then the paddles will fly off and twist all over, until the hand/forearm is properly applying pressure the right way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Again after being shown what a high elbow and a world class catch and pull looks like up close and personal I agree that most of us slow swimmers don't get it. The point was made to me that it isn't necessarily about having a high elbow in terms of having it " be at the surface" it is high relative to your forearm and hand(our paddle). In trying to keep my elbow high and near the surface I was short arming or shortening my paddle way too much and I would be willing to bet that other slow swimmer are probably doing the same sort of thing in the effort to have a "high elbow."

http://bigisland-will.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ken...

Lessee, you are one of them there conservatives, so I suggest doing lots of 2000yd repeats. Hypoxic, too (hell, you don't have any brain cells left anyway).

Yep, true statement...geeze, I'm actually asking a commie-pinko-liberal America-hater for swim advice!! (That last is what we call a joke here in the red states). :)

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks Ken...

Lessee, you are one of them there conservatives, so I suggest doing lots of 2000yd repeats. Hypoxic, too (hell, you don't have any brain cells left anyway).

Yep, true statement...geeze, I'm actually asking a commie-pinko-liberal America-hater for swim advice!! (That last is what we call a joke here in the red states). :)
You left out "freedom-hating".

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang, I knew I was missing something.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Being a fairly new father, 22 months, I'm going with the first half of May and the second half...most likely the first part of June. I'll have no part in pissing a new mother off.

Let me check around here and see if I can get a quick head count. What day(s) are best fopr you? 15th, 16th, 22nd, 23rd, 29th or 30th.

~Matt

Matt- this will be my third child- if we don't have it figured out by now I'll be screwed for thw whole summer.

As of now I have races set for June 4, June24 and July 8 so those dates are out. I really think I can swing it for late May, again so long as we stay close to me. Lets look at May 20th or 27th, these dates are less likely to conflict with other races schedules as well, plus nicely timed to just before the Tri season really kicks off.

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Re: Swimming, "High elbow"? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]What should I be shooting for on the shorter stuff? MAx effort until failure or a certain amount of repeats?

[/reply]

I wouldn't reccomend the 'until failure' option. That's counter productive. It really depends on the intervals you've been doing up to now. Are they long, slow ones? If they are, then yes, you need to do some shorter stuff, at a higher pace. But you don't want to be doing them at breaking point. Think of it like running. You wouldn't go from being a 5 min km being your 'medium pace' to 4 mins/km in one shot. Break it down. Do some tests for a start. Go in the pool and do your warm up. 500-800m. Then play around. Do a 100 at your normal pace, take your time. Do another, but try and think about those things we;ve mentioned. How much of an improvement, what extra exertion are you having to do, and how's the pulse (although I'd stay away from relying on this too much!).

I've posted this test before, but it's a good one. Do 3 x 300m, with 30s rest inbetween. The idea is to get each one within +/- 5 s of each other.. but at your highest pace possible to be consistent. Add your times together, and divide by 3 for your average, then 3 again to get your T100 time. This is then what you can work off. So, if you are wanting to do an IM pace set, you may want to do your 100s with T100 + 3 to 5 seconds. If you are trying to do some pace, T100 - 5 seconds. Anyway, the main idea of this is that test yourself now, and then again in 3 weeks, after working on these things. You should see an improvement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
spot, my two cents: for power i'd work on doing head out of the water swimming, with my swimmers i call it tarzan drill after the old movies. this will work on shoulder strenght. paddles are great for building power, but don't use gigantic paddles. this will change your technique and may lead to shoulder damage. try doing some longer sets with paddles (maybe 4 x 200 or a pyramid of 400 300 200 100) where you make an effort to get faster per 100 (or 200) while you've got paddles on. this is great for power.

i would say that you should make the main set more specific to either power or speed or endurance, which is different from cutting down teh main set to work on 25s, 50s, or 100s. 100s and 50s done on the right interval while limiting the rest can be a great main set. here's a recent practice i did: 400 warmup, then twice through the following " 6 x75s (25free/25nonfree/25free at the 1:05 interval) then 3 x 100s free (at 1:15 descend 1 to 3) then 4 x 50s kick choice (at 1:00). " end twice through adn warm down.
Coaching-by-internet is always a dicey proposition, but I think the problem we are seeing here is not that these guys aren't strong enough ("building power"), but just don't have a clue as to how to apply that strength to their stroke. They need to learn how to pull hard enough (without slipping) to get their asses down the lane. Paddles might help with the kinesthetic awareness, a good idea.
Agree w/ Ken here. I am slowly getting to where I *seek* resistance in my pull instead of instinctively (subconsciously?) avoiding it to make it easier to pull. I also sometimes think I need to ease up, that I'm going to flame out, but somehow I can hold that "power" a lot longer. So MJuric may be fooled into thinking he needs to swim "easier" than he really does for awhile. We mammal tri-dork novice swimmers think we're working harder than we really are. So I'd say skip the crushing 25s, and stick to 100y+, working hard.

Too f@ckin depressed from various injuries to care about having a signature line.

Sponsored by Blue Shield PPO.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming, "High elbow"? [hasbeenswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You willing to come to Rockford? Decent riding, you are welcome to stay at my place and I am a pretty good cook - plus you could meet Estee in person. I can talk to the Y and or the local College where my boss is a senior board member about pool time....I am willing to put in some money even if for just to have a clinic for the local Tri geeks.

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming, "High elbow"? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I did I, it would be an up and back, you know with the baby and all. If you can find a Pool for free that will give us 3 hours and at least 10 people then I will consider it- Of course I will have to run it through the boss- my wife!

Right now if we can do three hours I am thinking $60/person, for 10-15 people, free pool. I'll supply the video camera and mail everyone a DVD after the clinic, I am almost certain I can get and underwater video cam also.

I guess now would be a good time to lay down some creds so you don't think I am blowing you all smoke and trying to rip you off (which i am......got ya thinking huh).

Former D1 4 year swimmer and school record holder (1000, 1650 and 4x200 free relay)

Minor in teaching and coaching swimming

Coached 5 years for a local age group team (coaching a 8 year old is like coaching a masters swimmer)

Currently substitute coach local Masters Club at Valpo U

And most importantly I am just an all around swell and fun guy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What ever works for you. May 20th & 27th coudl be an issue for me but the 28th would work, if Sunday's an option.

It probably be best of you just pick teh best date for you and then everyone else will have to work around that.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok lets set it for the 27th or the 28th if the 28th is better. Next lets settle on a site. I can come up to Rockford so long as everything else is squared away as far as the pool goes.

It looks like we are bout 150 miles apart which is not that far of a drive for me, but coming through Chicago will suck with 94 the way it is. Lets plan on start time of no earlier than 10:00 so I don't have to kill myself to get to you guys.

As soon as a pool is located lets start lining people up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just fyi, May 20th is the Galena triathlon.

Maybe the date could be a few weeks before then, just in case some breakthrough would come my way during a clinic?
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming, "High elbow"? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the status of this?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry I missed the first post. Let me send out an E-Mail and see what kind of response we get. I'll send you a PM with the E-Mail I plan on sending out and see if it will work for you.

~Matt
Quote Reply

Prev Next