Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race day urination tactics.
Quote | Reply
A previous thread made me wonder about this. Consider this a survey. What do you do in a race when you have to pee? ...pull over and look for a bush? ...or just go???
Quote Reply
Re: Race day urination tactics. [HQKilla178] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only had the problem in IM. Was able to control it in races of less distance. But during LP last year, I pulled over several times. That special gatorade just would not soak in. I also did not practice peeing on my bike in training.

--------
Canadian resident again 10/31/2009
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's a short race (sprint/oly) then I'll hydrate a lot well before the start and stop drinking about 40 min prior to the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the bike, pee on the downhills. I've read in Gordo's race planning he actually plans days in advance which downhill he will be peeing at. As a true Gordo follower I will be peeing on the same hill at IMLP this year. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
condom - 3' of 1/4" hose - surgical tape
Quote Reply
Re: Race day urination tactics. [acronym] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
condom - 3' of 1/4" hose - surgical tape

for real?

nooo. no way.

I mean, not really, right?

beyourownsuperhero
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, please. No home-made catheters allowed....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know, its not recommended to drink your pee ;)

sorry, couldn't resist :) ... and I'm still laughing at the mental image of a guy biking with a hose coming out of his bike shorts... heck, you could get a never-reach thing, and have a closed loop system. ewwwwww ok, I'm done now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]A previous thread made me wonder about this. Consider this a survey. What do you do in a race when you have to pee? ...pull over and look for a bush? ...or just go???[/reply]

I wait for a drafter and then pee... no kidding.

----------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you do in a race when you have to pee?

Pull over and pee. Write your name in the grass. See who can make the highest "pee fountain". Do whatever.

I'm 32 and haven't peed on myself since I was 6 ... well, there was that one time ... but anyway ... I'd rather take the 30 seconds it takes to pee and resume the race than to finsh the race smelling and sweating in my own piss ... even if the 30 seconds means I'll finish 130th out of 132 instead of 129th in my AG. =)

If I am leading the race or in position to compete for the victory (in my dreams) then I would pee my pants like the old lady in Billy Madison. Cool like Miles Davis.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Bob Roll says... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the "Questions for Bob" during the 2004 TDF, Bobke said the riders use a catheter attached to an evaporator plate on their back, and the guys that go the conventional way are just showing off.

John Hollenhorst
St Pete Beach
Quote Reply
Re: Bob Roll says... [Hed Case] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hate peeing on my bike. Being a girl, it's not very "streamline" and I feel like I'm corroding my bottom bracket, and chain.. I got peed on at Lake Placid but I wasn't drafting, it was just windy. :)

[reply] the riders use a catheter attached to an evaporator plate on their back, [/reply]

I have one of those, and let me tell you, it hurts like a bitch when you put it in, but once it's set up, you're good to go. Not only do you not pee on yourself or need to stop for breaks, you can then take in the minerals left from the evaporated urine as extra electrolytes.

Adam
Quote Reply
Re: Bob Roll says... [Trigirlpink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I got peed on at Lake Placid but I wasn't drafting, it was just windy. :) "

Eeuuuuww!
Quote Reply
Re: Race day urination tactics. [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd much rather pee on myself than wear a catheder. I'm mean really, what is so bad about pee? Compared to the snot running out of my nose constantly, which I wipe on the same hand I later eat with, it really not so bad. Water and salt...pretty much the same thing dripping from my pores. In AZ it disappears in 2 minutes tops. If your hydrating well you should be peeing at least 3 times on the bike, thats a lot of time since no way can you find a private spot, pull over and pee, and resume only loosing 30 seconds. Try it, you'll like it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Helps warm up the wet suite for those cold early season swim starts as well ;)

---------------------------
http://www.nunnsontherun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're almost there, man. Just go.

_______
t
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The idea in training is to figure out how much you have to take in and so that you never have to pee in a race. One study that I read found that the race leaders tended to be a little un-hydrated after the race and the slower runners were over-hydrated. If you need to pee during a race then you are flat-out drinking too much water and that will hurt your performance more than it helps. My best ever half-ironman I drank perhaps 45 oz. total for four and a half hours of racing. My run was my best ever.

It takes something like a two percent by-weight loss of water before dehydration will start to affect your performance. Unless it is hot, most people probably shouldn't drink more than 16-24 oz. per hour.

Chad
Quote Reply