Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

spin classes
Quote | Reply
I'm fairly new to biking (more experienced runner and swimmer), but i rarely get home early enough to ride on the roads. Can one significantly improve their biking in 60 min spin classes??. Is there any certain technique i should work on in those classes?
Quote Reply
Re: spin classes [fxjeffrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can. Get a heart rate monitor and try to exceed your aerobic threshold 3-4 times per class, while not letting it settle down below your 70% max ever. Find a good instructor that doesn't do a lot of goofy non-outdoor bike related stuff. Focus on spinning in a smooth circle, because spin bikes will let you get away with some pretty awful technique and you can develop bad habits. Might be good to supplement with some roller work or fixed gear work when you get a chance so you can keep developing a smooth pedal stroke (or...take cover everyone...power cranks).

An hour of hard work on the bike goes a long ways no matter how you accomplish it.
Quote Reply
Re: spin classes [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thats great advice, i havent been using a HR monitor, but that makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I teach a class (it's called RPM, develeped by Les Mills...and I've also taught 24 Hour Fitness format). After someone comes to my class and I get the impression they are trying to be serious about it, I always recommend a HRM...you can pick them up for as little as $30. Without one it is really hard to judge what kind of work you are doing in the class. When I take someone else's class I can feel like I'm working hard but my HR is only 140 or so. On the other hand, a lot of times when I'm teaching I get really into it (everyone is watching you after all!) and hit 185 and don't even realize it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a trainer to work on indoors? I have a challenging work/commute schedule, so manage to do 90 - 120 min rides before dawn a couple of times a week on my road or tri bike - on the bike by 4AM, and finish off with a short run after the bike, still able to catch a 6:30 or 7:00 AM train.

If you don't have a trainer, shd look into one. Similar benefits as a spin class, but the added advantage of doing it on your own bike - and with fluid trainers, progressive resistance is more realistic than the momentum provided by the flywheel on a spin bike.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by donegal1 [ In reply to ]
Re: spin classes [donegal1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course we know that spin classes are geared not for triathletes nor cycilist, but for woman wanting to lose weight or for the aerobically challenged (i.e. no coordination for the aerobic classes) :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spinning classes are fun BUT you can easily overreach yourself on the intensity if done hardcore for 60min sessions for 3+ times a week. Here's a suggestion: why not ride 30-60min on another stationary bike at the gym before the beginning of the spinning class and then do the class but not all out? This way you get 90-120min of indoor riding that is way more specific to tris than hardcore spinning classes by themselves. Or don't kill yourself during the spinning class so that you can comfortably run on the treadmill afterwards. you could also work on 1 leg drills.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Re: spin classes [Mito Chondria] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats a great suggestion, i have recently started to hit the treadmill for 30 min or so after the spin class, and i dont try and totally exaust myself in those 50 min.
Quote Reply