Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stupid tire pump question.
Quote | Reply
Okay, so what's the trick to preventing air from leaking out while pumping up my tires. I have struggled with this since forever. I ususally just keep adjusting it until it works out or I get frustrated and I start pumping like a fiend, overinflate and then by the time I get the pump off the valve I'm somewhere in the vicinity of the psi that I was shooting for.

There has got to be a better way. What's the trick? It's usually fine up until about 80psi or so and then it starts leaking out, sometimes slow leak, sometimes a gusher. Makes me feel like a freakin idiot!

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid tire pump question. [Lieutenant_Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you might have a crummy pump that's not sealing properly. Mine has a very tiny leak after pulling the seal arm down, but not so much that air is gushing out. Have you tried other pumps?

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As said above, sounds like your gasket is bad, or maybe you just have a poorly designed pump. You can replace it with a Silca head with replaceable gasket. I get several years out of a gasket, and I'm still on my first pump after 19 years (a zefal husky)...maybe it has something to do with not riding enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid tire pump question. [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brand new pump, Serfas FMP 200. It used to happen with my cheapy Wrench Force pump. If I took the inflator off the valve and then placed it back on enough times, eventually it would seal fine and I could pump it up. That pump finally broke and I just bought the Serfas a month or so ago. I have used it only a few times, and haven't had any major headaches until 2 nights ago. On my wife's bike which has fairly long valves there was just a tiny leak. On my bike, especially the front which has a fairly short valve the leaking was ridiculous. I eventually had to have my wife come out and pump while I held the inflator on the valve. Yes, I should put a new tube in with a longer valve, but I have been able to work with it before, with a little fidgeting, just wasn't happening the other night.

Dan Hollingsworth

Nobody grows old by merely living a number of years. People grow old only by deserting their ideals. Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up interest wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One hand on the pump and the other hand on the valve assembly. I can pump up to 180psi easily with this method using my 14 year old Silca pump. The guts have been replaced 3 times over the years. A 4th is about due! : )

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid tire pump question. [zipp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have attempted, but not yet mastered that technique. It seems like such a pain in the ass. If that's what I have to do, then I'll do it, but it seems like there should be a better way.

Dan Hollingsworth

Quote Reply