Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sailfish One Reviews
Quote | Reply
Searched some old threads and it seems there was a lot of interest in this suit. Did anyone pull the trigger and have any thoughts?

Did the wetsuit measuring project ever reach any consensus on torso sizes for certain manufacturers?
Quote Reply
Re: Sailfish One Reviews [Matt J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought one and absolutely love it. My previous was a TYR Hurricane Cat 5. The TYR is 3mm in the arms and shoulders which lead to fatigue for me. The One is 1.5mm in the arms and shoulders which provides great flexibility. It's like there is no material there at all. It is very comparable to my sleeveless suit. It like the fit as well. Dan covered this very well in his article on the suit. Overall, I have been very pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: Sailfish One Reviews [bjgwoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bjgwoody wrote:
I bought one and absolutely love it. My previous was a TYR Hurricane Cat 5. The TYR is 3mm in the arms and shoulders which lead to fatigue for me. The One is 1.5mm in the arms and shoulders which provides great flexibility. It's like there is no material there at all. It is very comparable to my sleeveless suit. It like the fit as well. Dan covered this very well in his article on the suit. Overall, I have been very pleased.

Thanks. Sounds great.

The links for the article Dan wrote were all dead last night. I’ll dig around later and see if I can find it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt J wrote:
bjgwoody wrote:

Thanks. Sounds great.

The links for the article Dan wrote were all dead last night. I’ll dig around later and see if I can find it.

Did you ever end up getting the sailfish One? If so, how do you like it?
Quote Reply
Re: Sailfish One Reviews [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that your post was directed at MattJ but I will add that I've had mine for a year now with no issues whatsoever. Highly recommend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. It's currently on my short list, along with the Blue70 Reaction. What other wetsuits did you consider? What have you used in the past?
Quote Reply
Re: Sailfish One Reviews [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My previous one was a TYR Hurricane Cat5 - it was just not as flexible as the sailfish One in the shoulders. I looked at the B70 Helix but could not get comfortable with the reverse zipper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt J wrote:
bjgwoody wrote:

Thanks. Sounds great.

which links are dead?

how i chose my sailfish wetsuit.
how today's wetsuits fit.

sailfish makes wetsuits for the typical person. i take issue with some of today's wetsuits, which are designed to appeal to the idea of what a top swimmer wants. meaning, a top swimming triathlete has an idea of how he wants his wetsuit to feel and work. in point of fact, the idea is wrong. the thinking is wrong. nevertheless, wetsuits at the high end are built to that top swimmer's idea of the ideal wetsuit and it's not only a poor wetsuit for you, it's a poor wetsuit for him as well.

meanwhile, you have arguably the best ironman swimmer ever designing sailfish wetsuits and he's smart enough to know what works for you, and what works period. so, there's that.

beyond that, i'm very critical of how today's wetsuits fit, and how the size charts don't work. sailfish wetsuits fit and the size chart is correctly calibrated to the wetsuits they make.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Sailfish One Reviews [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Matt J wrote:
bjgwoody wrote:

Thanks. Sounds great.

which links are dead?

how i chose my sailfish wetsuit.
how today's wetsuits fit.

sailfish makes wetsuits for the typical person. i take issue with some of today's wetsuits, which are designed to appeal to the idea of what a top swimmer wants. meaning, a top swimming triathlete has an idea of how he wants his wetsuit to feel and work. in point of fact, the idea is wrong. the thinking is wrong. nevertheless, wetsuits at the high end are built to that top swimmer's idea of the ideal wetsuit and it's not only a poor wetsuit for you, it's a poor wetsuit for him as well.

meanwhile, you have arguably the best ironman swimmer ever designing sailfish wetsuits and he's smart enough to know what works for you, and what works period. so, there's that.

beyond that, i'm very critical of how today's wetsuits fit, and how the size charts don't work. sailfish wetsuits fit and the size chart is correctly calibrated to the wetsuits they make.

^^^ nailed it ^^^
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think my Sailfish is the only reason I survived an Ironman swim. The buoyancy kept me in the game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt J wrote:
Searched some old threads and it seems there was a lot of interest in this suit. Did anyone pull the trigger and have any thoughts?

Did the wetsuit measuring project ever reach any consensus on torso sizes for certain manufacturers?

Their skin and neck protect roll on is absolutely fantastic. Just difficult to source in the U.S.
Quote Reply