Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can "foreigners" be USA Triathlon Members
Quote | Reply
Here is the scoop. As of last year, US races won't recognize my Triathlon Canada membership for insurance purposes. So basically, I have to buy one day licenses.

This year I am racing St. Croix, Tupper Lake Half Ironman and Ironman Lake Placid. There is also a chance that I will do the Westchester NY Olympic tri (next door to my sister's home) in September. So it seems silly to be spending 4x$9 on "one days". I guess my main question is whether I can even get a USAT membership if I live in another country (I'll also be getting my OAT/Triathlon Canada membership).

Can anyone pipe in?

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Can "foreigners" be USA Triathlon Members [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes. i know many non-citizens who are members. go for it!
peggy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even Frogs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. Usually lots of Canadians on the USAT "All American" list.
Quote Reply
Re: Can "foreigners" be USA Triathlon Members [Cheasumo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clever hint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You left out American Zofingen.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Re: Can "foreigners" be USA Triathlon Members [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Tetsoni...what's with all the pressure ? Let me just get through Ironman LP without an injury and then I'll commit to the second half of the season "race till you drop program". I might just have to show up if triyoda takes me down during our Tupper-Irontour-IMLP smackdown series...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No pressure at all. From your writings, I gather you're one of the type of racer that AZ was made for. Only you know that for sure. Whichever way you chose, have a great season.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tetsoni, I have to admit, it is in the back of my mind to do American Zofingen. That being said, I told myself that I would take a break from long course racing (ie any race that involves more than 21K of running), after Ironman LP.

To tell you the truth, despite the number of Ironmans and marathons I have done, I like the shorter races where you truly feel like you are racing and not just surviving. Half Ironmans and Olympic distance, and 10K runs are much more fun in general. That and XC ski racing. I can get up the next day after these races and actually go for a run if I want and not be cripple.

Part of my reason for an anticipated break from long course racing is that I like this sport too much. I want to be able to keep running in my 60's. When I look at my friends who are tri studs in their 50's in general (but not all), those that limited their run mileage and intensity are the best "preserved". I want the option of being on a business trip when I am in my 50's and be able to head out for a run anywhere in the world and not be reduced to having no training options or banished to the dreaded elliptical trainer. I have no problem piling the swim, XC and bike mileage on. They seem to be OK for your joints.

Anyway, AZ is not out. It might be my last really long race for a few years.

For the next few years, I'll race short and hopefully spend more time on bike tours in the Alps and Rocky Mtns :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev

Here in the US of A we don't have "foreigners". We have undocumented imigrants. Just come on over and we will grant you citizenship. Of course I can't imagine why any Canadian would want to do that since some people in the world still like you... ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I understand what you mean about racing vs. just finishing or surviving.

I like duathlons because they're real, hard racing. However, they do tear you up with all that fast paced running. Full irons can be a real slog; half irons are definitely raceable.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the Grand Columbian we recognize TriBC, Ontario and Alberta Tri annual memberships. We have to pay USAT the $9.00 one-day fee but do it as a nod to the international athlete community and our Canadian friends (we are, after all only 11o miles south of Penticton. It would be great some day to have internaitonal recognition but obviously its about insurance not affiliation.
Quote Reply