Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best road shoe : used for Tri ?
Quote | Reply
I'm interested in buying the Specialized Body Geometry S-Works shoe, with the wire locking system, as my only bike shoes for both training and long or short distance triathlons.

Has anyone experienced using this shoe for short distance triathlons as well (without socks, and for fast transitions) ?

Thanks for your feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: Best road shoe : used for Tri ? [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"for fast transitions"

You're kidding, right?
Last edited by: TriBriGuy: Apr 6, 06 3:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocket 7

Kurt

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Re: Best road shoe : used for Tri ? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No I'm not. It was not designed for triathlon, so maybe they are harder to put on with bare feet, or they are difficult to undo (not a big strap, just a small unlock button) ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Specialized road shoe with the three velcro straps. I would not say that it is an ideal Tri shoe, and I only ever use 2 of the straps. The road shoes are jsut not designed to slip on and off like a tri shoe is. Now how much time does this mean in transition? Not all that much, but if you are battling for top honors you might consider a tri shoe - Specialized makes a very nice one.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The three things a tri shoe gives you are the heel loop, wide opening, and simple, single strap. All of those features are designed to speed up transition ability over a road shoe, and they work. Specialized's Trivent is a super tri-shoe, and at $160, an incredible value with it's carbon fiber sole.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Best road shoe : used for Tri ? [Klep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I wanted to get but I can't find them in any shop near me and am not sure with the sizing (would like to try them before buying). They are both stiff (carbon sole), comfortable and still hold your foot well for longer distances or long bike rides (unlike some other triathlon specific shoes that prioritize venting over good fit).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to hijack this thread, but what about using tri-shoes for training?? I cannot afford 2 sets of shoes (right now) that each cost $150+. Can a tri-specific shoe hold and support the foot as well as a road shoe?

Ken

Quote | Reply
My advice for you is to buy the new TIME triathlon shoes because they are comfortable and have only one strap to deal with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't go with the wire locking system...
at the end, it's just a wire...it breaks and you're not going to have fun at all...

The carbon sole shimano tri shoes, or the trivent from specialized are excellent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about the specialized's but this shimano's are light, tough and have a "thing" to tie an elastic on the shoe back for faster transitions. This' one of the features many cycling shoes manufactures "forget".

Probably won't make an huge difference in long distance events but it sure does in olympic/sprint tris, where every second counts.

http://twitter.com/krepster || http://www.pedro-gomes.com || follow all the action on facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are going to get a road shoe to use for both training and racing then get one with three velcro straps. As someone else said if you can only afford one pair of shoes, get a good pair of tri shoes to use for both. Until this year I used regular road shes with three straps, nowe I have both.

Proud Founder of the Jamis Mafia- Daring to be different.
Quote Reply
Re: Best road shoe : used for Tri ? [Klep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot, Klep, I think I will shop around for the TR02, and if really I can't find them I may go for the Specialized Tri.
Quote Reply
Re: Best road shoe : used for Tri ? [House] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem is that just about all of the top road shoes now have some form of proprietery buckle/fastening mech., that obviously works well for road but can cause some problems with quick transitions for triathlon use. Just a few years ago all the top shoes had the three velcro straps - which are perfect for triathlon use. It's this follow the leader thing in the bike business, that I completely don't understand. Anyway, Northwave, seems to be one of the few companies that are offering it's high-end and top road shoes with the option of the buckle system OR three vecros straps. I note that the hotest pro road cyclist this year Tom Boonen prefers Northwave's top shoe with the three velcro straps.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the Shimano, just started using it. I have used the Sidi T1, I still might use it for sprints because nothing opens wide like the Sidi. The Shimano doesn't pinch my toes like most shoes do.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Sidi Ergo 1 are the bomb. Like them so much that I used them for all my tris last year. Didn't slow me down in T1 and I like the extra stiffness of the sole and snug fit.

My TR01 and TRS6 don't come close......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would shop ALL of the tri-shoes, Diablo. They all fit a bit differently, and one pair will feel best on your feet. Some are narrower, some are wider, some have a pronounced heel lift (Sidi, for instance), some are flat (Nike T-Speed)... Most have the key triathlon inspired features I listed above.

I have Sidi T-1s, Specialized Trivents, and Nike Poggio road shoes...I don't find any difference in durability or support between the tri-shoes and the road shoes. The single advantage of the Poggios is that having three straps allows a bit more customization strap adjustments.

I wouldn't have a problem using the Poggios for anything 1/2 IM and longer, though I like the Specialized shoes just as well. For shorter events...I've got to have a tri-shoe.

The Sidis are getting ready for eBay soon...after getting used to carbon soles with the Poggios, and now getting the Trivents...the Sidi standard genius sole feels flexy and I don't like it. But they are still a great shoe.
Last edited by: TriBriGuy: Apr 6, 06 10:26
Quote Reply