Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How many bike miles for weight loss? [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As someone who is active, but has struggled with weight, I am qualified to say: Weight loss is all about eating fewer calories.
Quote Reply
Re: How many bike miles for weight loss? [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on what you mean by daft. They aren't dumb, but they aren't very obedient. They are playful, silly, stubborn, independent, and sometimes crazy. When they misbehave, they know they are doing stuff they aren't allowed to, they just don't care.

Dog intelligence often gets mixed up with obedience, something that 'The Intelligence of Dogs' freely admits. Borzoi certainly ranked pretty low on Stanley Coren's list. But, as puppies our dogs learned to sit, shake, and lie down in about 5 minutes. Roll over took a bit longer, but these days they check treat value first. The higher the value, the faster they do what you want.

Here you can see them in action. It's the video the picture I posted is from.

Quote Reply
Re: How many bike miles for weight loss? [bufordt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bufordt wrote:
Depends on what you mean by daft. They aren't dumb, but they aren't very obedient. They are playful, silly, stubborn, independent, and
sometimes crazy.

can see all of that, in the picture you posted.. great pic ;-)

Alan Couzens posted on twitter recently, https://twitter.com/.../1518944744310657030

Quote:

This is why, IMHO, running isn't a good choice for weight loss/maintenance
Put an athlete on a bike with a good fit & get them commuting to work & doing a longer ride on the weekend & they'll burn 10,000 kcal/wk easily!
Try & do that on the run & you're looking at 100+mi weeks!

my brother got rid of about 30lbs by bike commuting instead of driving to work. He's known as 'Flatbar' on the group rides, showed up to his first group ride on his commuter with flat bars..
Last edited by: doug in co: May 6, 22 9:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teichs42 wrote:
I know this is way too generic a question and is reliant on soooo many factors. I'm more so looking for people's experiences.

How many miles or hours on the bike (no swimming and running) have you done and see decent weight loss? I'm in the process of trying to lose about 20lbs and I'm only biking right now. Been riding more than I ever have in the past and I'm averaging about 80mi/week since the start of the year. I know it's not a lot, but the consistency for 4 months is more than I've done in the past. Hoping to bring up the weekly mileage to 100+/week now.

Again, I know it's dependent on many different things, a huge one being food. Just tell me what your experience has been.

Swim. :) My N=1 experience was that when I swam a lot, I couldn't keep the weight on. But that was in my 30s. Doubt that would magically happen anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: How many bike miles for weight loss? [Fredo_Adagio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fredo_Adagio wrote:
I have a fundamental question about power meters. Is the power read out from the power meter just the power put through the pedals, or is it the entire power being generated by the body including all the metabolic functions that don't directly push the pedals?

Returning to the original question, my Samsung phone tells me I expend about 35 calories per mile. The only data my phone has is my speed and distance from GPS plus my pulse rate from my watch and the weight that I recorded in the app (145 lbs), so I assume this is total metabolic power, not just the power pushing the pedals. If this is right, then I burn one pound (3500 calories) per 100 miles.

You burn 1 cal per 1kg body weight per 1km run. That amount is 1/4th on bike. .25 cal per 1kg per 1k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep it simple:

1. Watch your food intake. If your eating bigger based on the fact that you worked out, you're probably cancelling any calories you burned.

2. Adding some basic strength training 30-45 mins 2x per week will be worth more than putting in more miles in the same amount of time. Do all muscle groups to boost overall muscular metabolism. Unless you're hitting it real hard doing tons of reps 4x/week and packing lots of protein and carbs post workout, you'll see little if any weight gain from the lifting.

Good luck!

Best

Matt Leu, M.S. Kinesiology
San Pedro Fit Works, Los Angeles, CA
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Consistency/time=results
Quote Reply
Re: How many bike miles for weight loss? [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
I find that I burn ~1000 cal / hour if I’m riding really hard, or ~600 for moderate effort. ~300 for easy rides. Figure I average ~20mph

your 35cal / mile calc is reasonable. However, it’s dependent on how hard you’re riding

278 average watts in an hour = 1,000 kJ.

Definitely a solid workout for most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to bed hungry. It is a strategy that works for me and has a great feedback mechanism without doing any calorie counting. Going to bed and not hungry? Less eating/more exercise tomorrow. It does not take long to dial in. Of course, your diet should not be all junk...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find a nice long climb and do it repeatedly. There are no fat climbers because they either lose weight or quit.
Quote Reply
Re: How many bike miles for weight loss? [roubaixman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do more fork downs and ride your bike as much as you want.
Quote Reply
Re: How many bike miles for weight loss? [roubaixman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
roubaixman wrote:
Find a nice long climb and do it repeatedly. There are no fat climbers because they either lose weight or quit.

That doesn't work. I've tried it. I got marginally better at climbing and got to where I actually looked forward to it, but I didn't lose weight by climbing 3-4 times a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next