Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Des Moines Tri...two different courses? Why?
Quote | Reply
I'm not familiar with the reasons why this might be the case and wondered if anyone else knows.

I pulled down the official course maps to see if the course would be interesting. I was a little surprised to discover that the ITU course that the Pros will do...and the Age Group course are COMPLETELY different.

ITU pros have a point-to-point race, bike through downtown and finish with a run loop from the Capital Hill through downtown. (Note: Definitely appears to be a solid route to maximize audience appeal as the pros will pass the same spectators...within a block or so...many many times on the bike and run.)

Age groupers have a different swim...bike a not so scenic route to the local mall...and finish with a run loop around the downtown area....but not the same run as the ITU pros. I can't tell if the Age Group is PTP...looks like it might...

Check out the course maps on the official site:

http://www.hy-veetriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Des Moines Tri...two different courses? Why? [CY TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You hit on it in your message - the pro course if for spectator and television appeal. The pro bike course is 6 loops in downtown and run course is 1 loop downtown. Running a draft free age group race in downtown des moines would be virtually impossible with the volume of AG's we're talking here. They wanted to keep a good portion of the bike course urban, but somewhat minimize stoplights. The first quarter and last quarter of the age group is actually pretty cool - right up and then back down Grand Avenue. After hitting the top of Grand Avenue it's going to be a fast section back to transition.

AG race has one transition, but finish line is about 1 mile or so from the water start area. They will be bussing racers and spectators back to the parking/transition area after the race (or you can take the path and walk back).
Quote Reply
Re: New Des Moines Tri...two different courses? Why? [jhalfpap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many spots are open for AG?
Quote Reply
Re: New Des Moines Tri...two different courses? Why? [jhalfpap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought spectators might be the key reason...but it is one of the things I like about LTF in an odd way...i.e. racing on the same course as the pros....don't know why that is because it shouldn't matter. But when the courses are different it kinda feels like they saved the best course for the pros...kinda like when you are a kid at thanksgiving and you have to sit at the childrens table. ;->
Quote Reply
Re: New Des Moines Tri...two different courses? Why? [CY TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The course might actually be better for the amateurs, but just more spectator friendly for the pro's?
Quote Reply