Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

USAT sanctioned no more
Quote | Reply
"USAT SANCTIONING OR NOT? AA Sports has made the decision not to sanction its Multi-Sport events with USAT because it does not fit our grassroots mission. USAT is the currently recognized National Governing Body for the sport of Triathlon in the United States; however they primarily cater to the pro/elite athlete. The primary purpose for sanctioning an event is so that the elite athletes can be ranked nationally. Producing a Triathlon event is a costly endeavor, but in spite of that, the goal of AA Sports is to keep our costs to the athletes down as much as possible. Therefore, asking 99% of the athletes that do not have a desire to be ranked nationally to pay an additional $9.00 does not fit our mission."

Got this in an email today. What do you all think of their reasoning? aa sports runs most of the races in the NW.
Quote Reply
Re: USAT sanctioned no more [nickc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, they tell you the deal and are honest about it. Good for them.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great great comment - it's all true. I've never understood the whole ranking thing. my friends all want to go to nationals - duh - why? who gives a flying crap about ranking?
Quote Reply
Re: USAT sanctioned no more [craigo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the $9 was for insurance. AA has to get insurance from somewhere. Are they just going to absorb that into their costs? If so then more power to them. I wouldn't hold my breath on it though. If you are paying the same, then why the hell not get ranked in the process? No skin off your nose.

Me suspects there is more than meets the eye and this email is crafted carefully to make sure AA sounds like they are doing everyone a favor.

----------------------------------
Justin in Austin, get it? :)

Cool races:
- Redman
- Desoto American Triple T
Quote Reply
Re: USAT sanctioned no more [Justin in OK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AA Sports races have never been USAT (as far as I know). They do numerous races in the NW and have been doing them for years. Between that and the unaddressed safety issues I brought up with USAT (at sanctioned races) I quit USAT. I think they were just clarifying and restating their position. Nothing new.

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
False advertising and very disingenuous: they sanctioned one race in the past 5 years because they wanted a regional championship and it had to be sanctioned to gain that status. They don't want to sanction, they choose not to sanction and are very busy explaining it to potential customers who might, just might (!) want to be ranked. Contrary to ST opinion, all USAT members are ranked if they do 3 races ( 2 in 2006), not just elites.

You the informed customer choose where your entry fee dollars go.
Quote Reply