Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pedal Question, How much does weight matter?
Quote | Reply
Reading all the posts most seem to like the Time RXS series pedals best. I think I would like to try a pedal with a larger platform than the spd (4 degrees of float) I've been using for years & having really noticed hot spots in IMH this year more than in the past. This is a big deal for me with all the shoe adjustments I have to consider so I've just ignored anything but spd until now. I have 1" structural short right leg & have had both my Sidi Ti & Sidi Mtn shoes modified for it. The custom shoe guy removes the sole inserts 1' of lightweight material the full length and then attaches the sole so I can just clip in directly to the pedal. Still the right shoe weighs more which has been one of the reasons for going with the lightweight spd pedal. The other for walkability when I'm off the bike a big consideration. In the mtn shoes I can walk normally with the recessed cleats & reduce chances of rolling my right ankle something that can easily happen with all that lift under my foot which is why I dont use the T1 except for racing. In fact I have every shoe & piece of sports equipment modified and don't walk bare foot cause its uncomfortable & I limp.

I have a pair 200g spd pedals which I have used on both my training & race bikes & a heavier one on my mtn bike I use for commuting. So looking at the Time or anything else they all seem to be weight hogs except for the ti version the Time which is lighter than most of the other pedals out there. It comes in ~260-270 which to me seems to be a huge amount of rotating weight added compared to the 200g I use now. I feel am going in the opposite direction than I should go. Am I getting hung up on on the 70 grams (combined with the extra right shoe weight) or is this not really a big deal & the larger platform give me more "gains" in power & other wise?

If I decide I like the Time & make the shift it would be nicer if I could use the same pedal for both bikes. Maybe find another shoe that would be walkable. I am wondering if there are any options in a more walkable road shoe that the sole could be popped off like the Sidi? Also do they make covers for the time pedals like the Looks?

I am wanting to give the Time a try to see if they would work for me without much of an investment if anyone has any around to part iwth. I have already dropped some $$ & tried the Keywin pedals on my computrainer & seemed to like the larger platform (not sure if any noticable gains in watts) but my right knee didn't the no float.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice or input the knowledgeable and experienced Slowtwitchers can offer as I struggle with what if anything to do.

Barb L
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Question, How much does weight matter? [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
put this number in your mind, zero if you are only worried about the direct effects on speed. However, if you are going to obsess over it where it interferes with training then better spend all you can to get the lightest you can afford.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Question, How much does weight matter? [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still prefer the two gen back Time Titan Mag pedals over my RSX - the only reason I changed is that the Time shoes are now 3 hole shoes...the weight...no issue. I cant hardly tell the older Titan Ti from the RSX by weight in my hand.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time's RXS Carbon Ti is 195 grams and Look Keo's Carbon Ti is also about the same. I bought the Time a year ago to try something new after 12 years of riding Look pedals. After using it for a while I don't like it nearly as well as the old Look pedals and so I train most of my time using Looks and race on the Time.

Good things about the Time: very light, like less than half the weight of my old first gen Looks that I use for training. The connection also feels very solid. Once clipped in I don't think about them. The rear part of the cleat is metal, so long wearing. The float remains pretty constant; ie Looks are more tight early in the cleat life and more loose at the end.

Bad things: price, they are not at all easy to clip into compared to the Looks. The front part of the cleat is plastic, so it wears out more quickly. The cleats cost $40 compared to $15 for Look.

If you never have to stop on your rides then the Time is a good pedal, but commuting or rides with a lot of intersections are not the Time's speciality.

Does the weight matter? Maybe. I use regular PCs with Look pedals to train and then X-lite PCs with the Time pedals for races, so each side drops more than half a pound and that is a discernible difference. I doubt 50 grams either way is noticeable.

Chad

If you want to try the Time's I'd happily sell you mine. I bought them in April last year, raced on them three or four times and then was gone to Iraq for 7 months. I've since used them for one other race. PM if you have any interest.
Last edited by: cdw: Mar 31, 06 10:52
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Question, How much does weight matter? [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply Frank. I generally try to go for "lighter & better" when I make changes or upgrades assuming its structurally safe and functional. But given that so many speak of 250+g pedals as lighweight I wondered if the 50 grams was really important in the big picture even though its rotating weight. There are other places that I require some heavier components for fit so I try to compensate for lighter in other places when I can.

Barb L
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to the analytic cycling site and pump in the numbers. You'd be surprised how insignificant weight is unless you're climbing really steep grads. Even then, 50 gms ain't squat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there are a few places on a bike where weight shouldn't be a consideration:

* saddle
* handlebars

and ... yes
* pedals

see a theme here: if it's a contact point, function, fit, comfort (whatever term you want to use) is all that matters.

re: the time pedals ... great choice. i think the best pedals available right now. i really like mine, and have sets on both road and tri bikes. unlike record, i cant tell a difference between the rxs and equipe when clipped in.

hotspots are caused more by shoes issues than pedals issues. modern carbon soles are so stiff the size of the platform doesnt really matter much anymore. you might consider rocket 7 shoes. they are expensive, but offer a ton of sizes and widths. the cool thing with rocket 7 is they can also make custom shoes and design a pair of shoes to accomodate your special needs. that way, you wouldnt have to modify off the shelf shoes. i think the full custom route is around $1000, so a little expensive.

my next pair of cyclng shoes will be rocket 7's ... as soon as the current sidis die. the sidis arent bad enough to justify replacing now ... but when they are worn out, im going to try rocket 7's. i've always had issues with my feet, and have never had a pair of shoes that i really like. some shoes have been less bad than others. sidis have proven to be the least bad of the shoes ive tried (and ive tried almost everything).

good luck with it.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Question, How much does weight matter? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to the analytic cycling site and pump in the numbers. You'd be surprised how insignificant weight is unless you're climbing really steep grads. Even then, 50 gms ain't squat.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're right we are obsessed with wt. But the other day I picked up a Kuota Kalibur frame & my look A 5.1 pedals. I was shocked at how heavy the pedals felt compared to the frame. So I am going with Look Ti CX series on my new bike.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Re: Pedal Question, How much does weight matter? [jcurtis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"see a theme here: if it's a contact point, function, fit, comfort (whatever term you want to use) is all that matters. "

Sage advice
Quote Reply