Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tibia Stress Fracture
Quote | Reply
Yep - a bone scan confirmed it. Over-training, a concentration on marathon training, not enough rest and recovery, etc. Blah Blah Blah

So, what can I do now. It's pretty bad - the pain is still constant when I walk.

I have spoke with my Dr. - he said don't run for 8-10 weeks and let pain be my guide for swimming and biking. From my research it seems that initially recumbent biking and swimming are my only options (along with deep water running - which I need to learn how to do).

Also, I also read a study where air casting cut down the recovery time - my doc says no, not enough data to support.

I am not adverse to the down time, but am looking for info on when I can get out on the road (i.e. biking) and begin to push. I know the running is likely months away.
Quote Reply
Re: Tibia Stress Fracture [Trianthes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It took me 3 months (had stress fractures in both tibias) to recover. Used the initial time to work on swim like crazy. I never got around to water running, but now wish I had. I was able to start biking after about 6 weeks on crutches. The crutches made a huge difference. Since it was both legs I had to do a retarded looking crutch walk, but it made a night and day difference. Good luck, and don't start pushing too soon, you'll regret it. Just use it as an excuse to really hammer the swim.

-Andrew Saar
It is better to do the right thing and be paid poorly,
than to do the wrong thing and be rewarded richly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same thing, 3 months no running. I worked a lot on swimming, but I was able to bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Tibia Stress Fracture [FastInAtl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - good advice. In fact, my shoulders already hurt and I hit the swim pretty hard anyway : )
Quote Reply
Re: Tibia Stress Fracture [jack m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When did you start biking again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never stopped. I did not have any pain cycling. I'm not sure if helped but I started taking a calcium pill ( I don't drink much milk).

Good Luck
Quote Reply
Re: Tibia Stress Fracture [jack m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I never stopped.

Same here - biked, swam and aqua-jogged throughout. I was only off for about 8 wks with mine. Smart advice from your doc though to let pain be your guide. Good luck!

Cam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also agree - not enough data to back up the CAM boot/Aircast method (although common sense is that if you use it less it should heal ON TIME, but no necessarily faster).

More and more research on external bone stimulators that may speed up the healing process some. Problem is insurance coverage, as most won't pay for one unless a fracture has failed to heal in 3 months (some are 6 months). They are VERY expensive (just under 4K). Most intriguing is the newer, focused ultrasound units and even extra corporeal shockwave (that is also used in chronic lateral epidondylitis (tennis elbow), plantar fasciitis and achilles tendonitis) is now being investigated.

I'd get used to running across the pool :)

Quote | Reply
I am the self appointed expert of stress fractures (due to the amount that I have had). You are doing the right things. Rest the allotted time, swim, bike when ready, and the magical "aqua jogger". You can have some great work-outs in the pool using the aqua jogger, I swear my team-mate was faster after some down time and jogging in the pool. Good luck, recover thoroughly once.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It took me a while, because I was hard headed. Do not try to come back too soon. I did and it delayed my recovery.

I did swim a lot, but kept pushing off from the wall...that hurt.

After I recovered from the stress fracture, I developed shin splints...but that went away with physical therapy.

I am much wiser now.

Quote Reply
Re: Tibia Stress Fracture [u2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how many have you had and where?

Two for me: fibular first, metatarsal second.

to the OP -- I didn't wear an air cast for the first one, and it healed in 6wks. Second one I did wear the cast bc walking was very painful, and it healed in 6wks. If you're in pain walking it's worth it, if you're not I wouldn't wear it... big and bulky and annoying.

I swam and biked a lot, didn't aquarun because I prefer swimming. Make sure you're getting 1500mg calcium a day, but only 500mg at one time (all your body can absorb in a single dose).

Anyway, best wishes --- sfx's SUCK.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Tibia Stress Fracture [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine; two in the left tib, three in the right. Two in the left femur. All of mine healed in 6-8 weeks. I have the best luck running on trails and most importantly undulating terrain, rather than flat roads. Any questions please ask and I will share my experience(s). Disclaimer; I am not a doctor, wife is a great ATC though. Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why so many? Were they all caused by running, or other incidents?

You'd think after the first couple you'd learn... ;)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Tibia Stress Fracture [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You would think I would learn. All tib x fractures were during a military training course. First femur x was during a work up for a marathon and the second was coming on a little prior to a marathon but finished strong, paid after. But yes, I am an idiot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you had your bone density tested? With such a history of fractures, it's possible that you have some issues there.

Quote Reply
Re: Tibia Stress Fracture [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great advice. Thank you very much. My doc's office is trying to see if my insurance with authorize the focused ultrasound.

What's your opinion on biking?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be fine biking, just spin up the hills - no gear mashing/standing.

Good luck! BTW, the unit that tends to get the best coverage is the Exogen unit from Smith & Nephew. Next best would be the combined pulse electromagnetic approach (EBI, DJ Ortho, Orthologic, etc)

Quote | Reply
I found out I had a Tibia stress fracture in December during the middle of my training for Ralphs. After the initial pain subsided (~ 2 weeks) I started cross-training on an eliptical machines found in fitness clubs. If you keep a medium resistance with a high cadence rate it should be more then adequate for your running training. I did very well at Ralphs with only a couple of weeks of running before the race. I found that pool running is extremely boring to do for extended periods of time.
Quote Reply
Re: Tibia Stress Fracture [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
. . . the unit that tends to get the best coverage is the Exogen unit from Smith & Nephew.

That is the one my doc is trying to get. The rep from the company is working with my insurance company.

And btw, thanks a lot for you input - very helpful.
Quote Reply
Re: Tibia Stress Fracture [AZGaucho] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's encouraging - thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had one when I was just a runner. For cross training I did a pool running workout in the morning and bike workout in the afternoon for fitness. It worked really well.

I dont know if all tibia stress fractures hurt when the injured leg's foot gets pulled to a more acute angle with teh shin, for example when walking, but if yours does I would recommend a walking splint boot. Its pretty much a splint that holds your foot in place relative to the lower leg. Walking was very painful before I got the boot and not a problem after.
Quote Reply